My Dad's 71 Z28 sounded pretty good too

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/19/18 8:15 p.m.

I'm partial to a cammed inline 6. 

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
7/19/18 9:06 p.m.

Another vote for a top fuel car - idling after they kick in the nitro. Pure evil - its a wonderful thing.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/19/18 9:14 p.m.
dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
7/19/18 10:46 p.m.
Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/20/18 12:17 a.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Not the best video/audio, but I change my answer!

Need to get my mustang out for some pics with this mustang. 

Edit: longer version: 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/20/18 6:14 a.m.

I wish I knew how to post a video because you Merlin fanboys obviously never heard an R2800 in a Corsair or Bearcat.  

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
7/20/18 9:03 a.m.

Good friend's new 1967 Vette, 427/425 w/ side pipes. Took a 6 hr. round trip w/ him and had ringing in my ears for days !

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/20/18 9:07 a.m.
Mndsm said:

500 abarths sound insane to me. I'll take that. 

I think mine sounds great

(this is not mine)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/20/18 9:39 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/20/18 10:30 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

I wish I knew how to post a video because you Merlin fanboys obviously never heard an R2800 in a Corsair or Bearcat.  

Well I have heard both.  Radial  engines have an odd number of cylinders per bank  and just don’t sound as smooth as an a water cooled V12. Maybe with one exception.  The Pratt and Whitney 4460.  I heard B 36 with those and I think the last P5M Had those as well.  I think they were later down graded to 3350’s  when they were sold off to the forest service for fire bombers.  

In fact the current ringing in my ears comes from slightly over  1000 flight hours yanking and banking a Grumman S2E tracker on and off Essex class aircraft carriers.  But as grateful  as I am for those radials  nothing beats the sound of that V 12  It doesn’t matter if it’s in a plane, an unlimited Hydro or a tractor  puller.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/20/18 11:21 a.m.

GMs 60° V6s have always had a deep muscular sound at idle. Especially with a resonator delete. Unfortunately they sound like raspy haggard ass at anything above idle.

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/20/18 11:41 a.m.

I mean, cold start 5.0 mustang with exhaust work usually sounds soo good

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
7/20/18 12:53 p.m.

my personal favorite is a slightly warmed up 48 flathead Ford. I am using that for the target idle should of my 4.0L Lexus powered Spitfire at idle, but with a bit more scream at speed.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/20/18 1:50 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Well I disagree if we are talking about the sound at idle. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/20/18 2:11 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Well I disagree if we are talking about the sound at idle. 

Please explain why?

To me the exhaust of a V12 is smooth and even because of the equal firing order and equal length exhaust stubs. 

A radial engine has an unequal firing order and each exhaust travels a. Different length because of the collectors used on a radial. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/20/18 2:15 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

my personal favorite is a slightly warmed up 48 flathead Ford. I am using that for the target idle should of my 4.0L Lexus powered Spitfire at idle, but with a bit more scream at speed.

Well a Flathead Ford/Mercury has different port lengths due to the shared exhaust port configuration  and the firing order with adjacent cylinders firing anywhere from 90 to 270 degree’s apart. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/20/18 6:34 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
T.J. said:

Since this is frency's thread, why not give him what he wants?

Because he'll still find a reason to argue about it

Thanks lmao

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/20/18 6:37 p.m.

I have grown *very* find of the noises the E55 of mine makes, from idle to redline. The idle is quiet, civilized, but.. menacing. I just love it. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/20/18 7:02 p.m.
failboat said:

I mean, cold start 5.0 mustang with exhaust work usually sounds soo good

I had a Lincoln MkVII, 302 with dual straight pipes. At idle something about the sound was just... perfect.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/20/18 7:25 p.m.

This thread is killing me because I can't find a snippet of the KR Proton early MotoGP bike idling from the movie Faster.

It wasn't pretty, but it was absolutely visceral.

Failing that, I wish I could embed the WSBK-spec Aprilia RSV4 I heard into the page from my own memory banks.

Oddly, those are really the ones that gripped me at idle. OTOH, years before I got my Aprilia RSVR, one of those idling also had my attention. It had such presence. I dig Ducatis, too, with or without dry clutch jangle.

So a V5, a V4, and some twins... cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gapmJavVcNN7YlouusZZSkJGJQN0YvEuw17aEyJL6SdIi3beDsIz2iqPnjJ2m6xV