spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/7/18 6:58 a.m.

My daughter's Sequoia is leaking from both end of the steering rack.    What is a good source for a replacement?  New better than rebuilt?  Prices are all over the place. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/7/18 12:46 p.m.

Junkyard or dealership.  Most remans are built to a price point far below what it takes to build a reliable one.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/7/18 1:09 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Junkyard or dealership.  Most remans are built to a price point far below what it takes to build a reliable one.

This...or get your current rack rebuilt by a good independent shop. I took a rare quick-ratio rack to a high-end shop with a dealership rebuild kit and it's been working well for a couple years so far.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/7/18 1:13 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I would get it rebuilt if I knew of a "good" shop that would do it.   

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/7/18 1:28 p.m.

The Landcruiser guys swear by stopleak in the racks, since they are such a PITA to replace.  Completely buried.  If it is a slow weep, stopleak will get you a few more years.

If the Sequoia is easier to replace the rack on, I would go for a used take-out long before I get a reman.  New from the dealer if you are feeling frisky!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/7/18 1:42 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

The Landcruiser guys swear by stopleak in the racks, since they are such a PITA to replace.  Completely buried.  If it is a slow weep, stopleak will get you a few more years.

If the Sequoia is easier to replace the rack on, I would go for a used take-out long before I get a reman.  New from the dealer if you are feeling frisky!

The Sequoia rack is exposed and doesn't seem to difficult to get out.   It's not a slow weep.   I haven't priced new from the dealer, but I bet it will take more than frisky.  

Thanks all for the advice. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
11/7/18 3:04 p.m.

My 3rd gen 4runner is running basically 100% stopleak in the steering rack now. Those racks are known for being leaky and mine sure was. Might be an easy cheap (temporary) fix for you.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/7/18 3:10 p.m.

Jac rack up in Michigan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lN3bIXwlTQqm0FeaQkbz10PS4cmBjtTlX2XTVRCQDsSR6mk2pNWfALHp8G6eJUdN