1 2
cwh
cwh PowerDork
4/25/13 9:01 a.m.

I'll chime in for Tobago, Trinidad's little sister. Tourist based economy, but nice. Not expensive, great beaches, very pretty and tropical. They like Americans, too. And you can fly out of Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami. I really don't like MIA.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/25/13 9:55 a.m.

In reply to cwh:

I don't know. I was there in the Navy around 1990 or so. Did not look very tourist friendly, and they had a revolution like the day after we pulled out. Made big news at the time, and I remember feeling like major tension in the air the whole time we were there.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/25/13 11:02 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Those of you who have been to Hawaii, have you also been to the Caribbean? I've never had much desire to go to Hawaii because it's expensive and takes forever to get there, and since all the wife and I want to do are sit on the beach, get a buzz, fall asleep, walk in the ocean, repeat.

I'm with you here. I have no doubt that Hawaii is beautiful and great vacation. But living on the east coast it's an incredibly long trip to Hawaii, but only a little over 2 hours to get to the Bahamas. My wife and I have stayed at Atlantis, on Paradise Island, many times. We used to have a timeshare there. It's all the tropics I need, I love the place and can't wait to go back. We've been doing our "big" vacations at Disney the past several years, since our kids were young. But our next one probably will be Atlantis.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/25/13 11:08 a.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to cwh: I don't know. I was there in the Navy around 1990 or so. Did not look very tourist friendly, and they had a revolution like the day after we pulled out. Made big news at the time, and I remember feeling like major tension in the air the whole time we were there.

I moved into the country right after that, it was a tense time. I think things have eased up a lot, but I haven't been back since then so don't know for sure.

But Tobago is a very laid back place and is tourist friendly. Especially the resorts. No industry whatsoever on the island, and it looks it. Beautiful, clean, nice place.

klb67
klb67 New Reader
4/25/13 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Type Q:

Your post brings back lots of memories. We traveled a fair bit in the eastern U.S. and trips to Alaska, Hawaii and Colorado pre kids. Hawaii was our best trip (and I really liked Alaska). We spent a few days with friends on Oahu (who lived there temporarily), learned to surf, and then spent a few days in Kona - what a great place. Same experience as yours. I can still picture the drive to Kona from the airport that evening, top down in our rental jeep, wondering what the next few days would bring. One day we left early, headed north with plans to stop along the way and be in the volcano national park south of Hilo just before dusk, to hike out to the active lava flow. It was a perfect day, except for the departure from the park well after midnight for the return drive around the south back to Kona. Other days we just hung out. Got a personal tour of Kona Brewing from the owner. Great beer and food. I'd go back to Kona tomorrow if I could.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/25/13 11:47 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I do remember (vaguely) drinking many Carib beers. And having serious hangovers...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kiUEgbd6SS4a7GWmUEenWl0TvRV7mAlb37N2Ech3uXZkqCXRoelnXFS0MAbGEYKu