Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
11/27/15 3:50 p.m.

SWMBO wants a place to keep her handguns in with "easy" access in case of stupidity breaking in....

What say ye? I don't mind buying one as long as it isn't complete crap.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
11/27/15 3:59 p.m.

Have this on my Amazon wish list now. http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV1000S-Mini-Vault-Standard/dp/B001C601KA

Reviews are good

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/27/15 5:53 p.m.

It'll keep the kids out and it's generally quicker to open than a passcode, but biometrics don't work as serious security...nothing beats the boring, unprofitable old password.

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
11/28/15 2:07 p.m.

These are pretty slick

Speedvault

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/28/15 2:47 p.m.

I have a Shotlock for my shotgun and a passcoded safe for handguns that I keep out of the big safe.

Most of the reviews I've read on the biometric safes state that they can be rather inconsistent with the fingerprint reading. The only good thing there is that there's no passcode to remember when panicked. All you need to do is swipe the finger until it opens.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/29/15 2:30 p.m.

What is wrong with the nightstand?

The longer it takes to get the gun out, the less chance you have of using it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/29/15 3:54 p.m.

My wife has a passcode safe. Every year or so, she wants to get her gun out and fire or clean it. The batteries are always dead. Then it takes 15 minutes to find a 9v to temporarily power it, so she can change the batteries. If she's home alone, she's dead. Don't buy a cheap one.

My gun is elsewhere. It is loaded, but it is a large frame and has a grip safety, that small hands can't operate. Unfortunately that includes my wife. By the time my children are big enough to operate the safety, they are well trained in proper gun safety.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/29/15 4:49 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: My gun is elsewhere. It is loaded, but it is a large frame and has a grip safety, that small hands can't operate. Unfortunately that includes my wife. By the time my children are big enough to operate the safety, they are well trained in proper gun safety.

Gee... I wonder what that might be? Happens to be in my nightstand as well. Thankfully no kids in my house to worry about.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
11/29/15 6:03 p.m.

Went and bought a Liberty. Not that I wanted to part ways with $235.... But it's better than the $100 Chinese pos she was looking at first....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/29/15 6:40 p.m.

I keep some of mine in a $30 digital Harbor Freight safe. Works just fine.

A buddy of mine got a nice expensive safe with a hydrolic lid, finger print reader, and RFID bracelet. His review was fantastic.

You can find a safe for your needs at any price. The good biometric safes have a good price tag..

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/29/15 7:34 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: My gun is elsewhere. It is loaded, but it is a large frame and has a grip safety, that small hands can't operate. Unfortunately that includes my wife. By the time my children are big enough to operate the safety, they are well trained in proper gun safety.
Gee... I wonder what that might be? Happens to be in my nightstand as well. Thankfully no kids in my house to worry about.

Not in, but close...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/30/15 8:02 a.m.

Chose not to do biometrics to avoid the battery issue. It's not as if it makes anything any better.

My safe has manual push buttons. Any combination or sequence can be used, so long as it doesn't repeat the button. I can open the safe in two seconds with two fingers and it will never run out of batteries.

http://www.gunsafes.com/Fort-Knox-PB1-Original-Pistol-Safe.html

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/3/15 12:08 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Got to be comfortable and feel safe with what you have.

For those who may be interested in any electronic safes, they usually have a hidden key slot.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/3/15 9:48 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Gee... I wonder what that might be?

If it is what you think it is, you had both better watch this for a great instruction on using them....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WP4k4tOsZD8

Jay
Jay UltraDork
12/5/16 5:01 a.m.

So canoe ... much spam.

I like how it resurrected the thread almost exactly a year later, making it hard to tell it's a zombie post at first glance though. Clever bot.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
12/5/16 7:28 a.m.

Canoe deleted.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/5/16 8:49 a.m.

FWIW, I would never have a safe that was not bio-metric. Everyone talks about teaching their kids "gun safety" which is a very good and noble thing, I wish more people did it, but it's not going to stop a kid who wishes to self harm or kill him or herself.

Two years ago, I lost a nephew to my BIL's .45, somehow he got ahold of the gun safe's combination, took it out, and shot himself with it-twice.

He shot himself through the chest first, and when that didn't kill him, he swallowed the barrel and finished the job. This was a very bright and vivacious kid, too vivacious as his doctor had just prescribed him a medicine that causes depression and suicidal thoughts (not that anybody knew it at the time) and within a couple of months, was dead.

Do us all a favour, go with bio-metric and never-ever think that teaching gun safety will keep your kids free of harm. The more steps you can put between your kids and guns, the better... just as the easier you can make it to get to your guns, the better.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/20/17 4:37 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LYPCBZDcBBCsW2ou7pOiF5TwsdhMrkU9oZUXKOLTzzH1W7arrfzpVZHOLk5BB0tQ