asterisk
asterisk New Reader
12/27/10 11:32 p.m.

I know there are a few on here who enjoyed shredding the gnar in their day. The creators of this documentary on FBM (fatbaldmen) Bike Co recently put the whole thing online.

Excellent watch if you are game (it's over an hour):

movie description: In reaction to the big business run companies of BMX in the early 90's, 17-year-old Steve Crandall started a company of his own called Fat Bald Men (FBM). What began as selling t-shirts out of a backpack has turned into one of the most well respected DIY bicycle companies around. Through fortune and misfortune follow FBM through their 15 years of mayhem as told by Steve Crandall and the rest of the BMX bicycle community from close friends to influential Icons like Dave Mirra and Mat Hoffman.
failboat
failboat Reader
12/28/10 6:14 a.m.

Oh. This sounds cool.

but....you said BMX and I immediately think about the movie "Rad" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091817/

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/28/10 7:53 a.m.

I know nothing about FBM, but I'll bet that's a great watch. I love those kinds of documentaries.

"The Man Who Souled The World" is the story of Steve Rocco and his rise while building up and selling World Industries skateboards. Very interesting story.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/28/10 12:05 p.m.

We saw that movie during a bicycle film fest a little while back--very cool.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
12/29/10 9:19 a.m.

Thanks for this. I was part of that 2000-2005 era, just right before all the scene kids took it over and the bikes lost some of their aesthetic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IGMIHzr7Dq92r24M0rblGMY8k0esmD3HDt7tPJ0orb2osSWNxLLoCWP1wTjaNwTs