1 2 3
Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
1/28/09 7:13 p.m.

Let's see your bikes!

From '94 to '00 I rode a Mongoose Menace, exactly like this one... http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/mongoose/13932 . Great bike when I was 6-9, but by the time I hit 12-13, I started breaking parts pretty bad and eventually ovaled the headtube.

This was my bike from December of '00 to the fall of '08 until it got hit by a car. It went through 3 or 4 different phases until what you see pictured, but the frame remained the same throughout.

2001 Hoffman 900

and the aftermath...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/28/09 7:34 p.m.

BMX'ed (freestyled) in the 80's, skate now, but I'll contribute this for some nostalgic smiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxT4w8zrTs

Apologies in advance if this gets stuck in your head

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
1/28/09 7:41 p.m.

I was big into BMX in high school 10+ yrs ago. Wish I still had one for cruising around town though. I owned atleast half a dozen bikes back then. Wonder if I can remember them all

Haro si race bike ( was my fav) Haro Zippo GT Speed Series Redline RL340 ( i think) Iron Horse ( 2 of em) Diamond Back

..theres a couple more I can't think of. I did find this link the other day that brought back some memories

http://bmxmuseum.com/

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/28/09 8:16 p.m.

OT for a sec--

hotrodlarry--that avatar is awesome. Was that from Woody Woodpecker or Tom and Jerry? I remember the episode--the little kid car becomes a hot rodder, totals himself, learns his lesson, but exposes his secret "hot rod" tailpipes int he last shot of the cartoon--am I right in this???

Back to BMX--Where's David's bike w/ the graphite Tuff Wheels???

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
1/28/09 8:52 p.m.

One Cab's Family was the name of it.

Robert

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer New Reader
1/28/09 8:53 p.m.

I did BMX racing from 7th grade - 12th grade (cars started taking priority around that time). I raced an Auburn CR-20rx (i think) and then had my own frame design built and raced that for a couple of seasons. I still have the frames and parts to put them together, but haven't done so yet.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/09 9:46 p.m.

I know that I need to ride more, but I still have all of my stuff.

I have my MCS Magnum 2000 hanging in the attic. It was my first real bike--bought it in '82 or so. I broke my arm riding it in 1985, so it's pretty much a period piece: Takagi cranks, Skyway Tuff Wheels, GT bars, etc.

Next to it is my Cyclecraft cruiser. I bought it used in 1995. Someone spent some good money putting this one together: Redline Flights, Bullseye hubs, Ambrosio rims, etc. I added the Gay Bars. The frame was pretty tired, so I stopped riding it.

I still ride my DK ProXL when I get the time. It was my 30th birthday to myself: Profile cranks (love 'em), SNAFU pedals, Redline hubs, BFR rims. I want to say that all three bikes are on Comp III tires.

I also have three unbuilt frames, two Craig Reynolds signature Mongooses (he's an old friend) plus a Kappa. The Kappa is getting graphite Tuffs--total old-school. Add to that all mags, NOS stickers, jerseys, number plates, etc., etc. Yeah, it's a lot of stuff.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/09 9:48 p.m.

And the Kappa project has pretty much stalled. Just got too busy with other stuff. I should start rounding up parts. I'm thinking black Landing Gear forks could be cool.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
1/28/09 10:19 p.m.

Man, you guys are old , but the bikes of the 80's to mid 90' are my favourite. I was part of the "X-game generation".

Slightly off topic, do any of you guys know of any hangers so I can display my wrecked frame up on the wall?

westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
1/28/09 10:42 p.m.

Skyway TA with Redline Flight cranks. White Tuffs and Haro freestyle bars. Remember saving my money forever to get those flight cranks. Never could attain a set of those graphite tuffs. I remember talking to David at last years challenge about faking graphites by wanting to paint the hubs gold! Must have put thousands of miles on it getting around town. Good bike for freestyle and lake jumping also. Sold it for $200 bucks in 86. Just spent 2hrs on the bmxmuseum link.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
1/28/09 11:13 p.m.

Not BMX but MTB..

I have a 1993 Univega Carbolite M7.3 in my livingroom. Carbon fibre tubes (all 8 of them) bonded to aluminum lugs, Deore LX/XT hardware etc. All in at under 20 lbs.

My wife rides a 1988 Diamondback Topanga. Nothing fancy, just a good ol' AVR true-temper frame.

I love the retro mountain bikes, I've got a more modern full susser but it's just to damn heavy to do anything but bomb done the mountain.

Shawn

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
1/28/09 11:27 p.m.

It'f funny this came up, last night I was reminiscing watching some old freestyle videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVc0vA8NzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFRGw-Otkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rof6PdMbomc

Ahhh sooo many great days spent with good friends, yards of dirt, a good flat blade shovel, and my bike. My first BMX bike was a chromed out GT interceptor. I saved every penny I had to get that thing; whopping $200 at the time I think. I built up a S&M dirt bike after that. I built up a few bikes over the years and still have a Fly Bikes Pantera with Profile cranks and an S&M pitchfork just to mess around on when I need to have some fun.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
1/28/09 11:58 p.m.

One of my favourite video parts of all time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPD2ulfl0kc

captainzib
captainzib Reader
1/29/09 7:43 a.m.

Back in 6th grade, (15 years ago, holy E36 M3!), I thought I'd get all into doin tricks and E36 M3. Eventually it just became my bike to cruise around on, and I enjoy using it as such.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
1/29/09 8:00 a.m.

Every time I go home (in college) I try to fix up my bike ('~95 Free Agent) but can never find any parts... is BMX like, dead? I remember when me and my brother used to race and we'd get the magazine with all the parts in the back and the "plans" to make hovercrafts, etc... I can't find anything like that now. Went to B&N and Borders and didn't find 1 BMX magazine

And yeah, bmxmuseum.com is awesome.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/29/09 8:11 a.m.

Mine -

DK General Lee 24" with Nyquist bars, pegs, and a front brake added. I had to relace the stock rear hub onto a Sun BFR rim when I did a similar treatment to above.

I still have the last bike I rode as a kid, but it is comically small on me now.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
1/29/09 8:17 a.m.

I'm old enough that we used to just race BMX. Tricks weren't around or at least we weren't interested. I lived in some suburbs that were still being built into. Roads that led directly into the woods. So we went out there and found the tracks that the older kids made to race on. Jumps, table tops, all the obstacles that dirt bikes were raced on at the time as well. Stupid fun.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/29/09 8:37 a.m.
Monkeywrench wrote: Man, you guys are old , but the bikes of the 80's to mid 90' are my favourite. I was part of the "X-game generation". Slightly off topic, do any of you guys know of any hangers so I can display my wrecked frame up on the wall?

I think guitar hangers would work nicely for you. Actually, dollar store hangers -- the ones used for shovels and stuff) would do the job, but they'd leave a massive hole in the drywall. And guitar hangers look nicer.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/29/09 9:03 a.m.

The wood bases are fine. They have a metal insert to handle the load. I think each one is rated for 20 or 30 pounds or so. Honestly, since the hanger part is pretty soft (so it can be bent to wrap tightly) I think that would fail before the base would.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/29/09 9:42 a.m.
Monkeywrench wrote: Slightly off topic, do any of you guys know of any hangers so I can display my wrecked frame up on the wall?

This rack mounts to any wall stud, and folds up when not in use. I used to work a t a bike shop about 6 years ago and remember them being like 15 or 20 bucks. They work well as a shop stand when in a pinch or if you dont have enough room for a full on stand for doing repairs. Sold under the MFR name Avenir.

As for my weapon of choice: Premium Products 21.25" top tube frame, BFR rims on no name sealed hubs, 36/13 gear, FSA european BB, Profile DJ cranks, Diamondback Laser CNCd platform sealed pedals, Terrible1 bars, and the heaviest S&M ditchforks youve ever seen...They will be replaced by some lighter FIT forks or the like...maybe we the peoples...dunno. Pics to follow soon!

I never got into racing as much as I did dirt jumps in the 90s...that was until I broke my femur pelican-leg style and also my wrist all at once...1 titanium rod, 8 screws, 3 surgeries, and a fake wrist bone made out of my hip and I am still riding mostly the skate park now ...however, far more conservatively

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/29/09 9:49 a.m.
Stuc wrote: Every time I go home (in college) I try to fix up my bike ('~95 Free Agent) but can never find any parts... is BMX like, dead? I remember when me and my brother used to race and we'd get the magazine with all the parts in the back and the "plans" to make hovercrafts, etc... I can't find anything like that now. Went to B&N and Borders and didn't find 1 BMX magazine And yeah, bmxmuseum.com is awesome.

Look for Ride BMX, I think its published by transworld. Best BMX rag EVER!!!

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/29/09 10:54 a.m.

I have a GT fueler and Haro master frame, and a Standard Traliboss that i bought the frame off of Ebay a few years ago and built with mostly cheap used parts. I dont really ever ride it anymore though.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/29/09 11:00 a.m.

woah, I had one of each of those as well..

Fueler = heavy, but my first "Real" bike, so I will always be in love

Haro = historical piece, dont ever part with it

Trailboss = I like my Standard Bicycle Motocross a little better, but it was fun none the less.

• note* - Rick Molliterno, Standard Byke Co.s owner, was the stunt double in Rad, and had a bada$$ Mississippi Mudflap (mullet) in the 80s
ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
1/29/09 11:31 a.m.

Both of my sons race (11expert and 6novice). Met Rick from Standard at the Grands in Louisville last year. Cool guy. My little guy races a FMF micro mini with carbon fiber forks and bars (11 pounds) . Oldest rides a sweet Formula with lots of crupi stuff, about 13.5 pounds. I also have an early Titan titanium frame waiting to be built up. http://www.foothillsbmx.com/Photos/2008/July20/Hunter.jpg Hes 5 in this pic (proud Dad!)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/29/09 12:57 p.m.

Way, way back in 1981 or so I bought a Race Inc. used at the local bike store for $169.00. I lived on that bike up until I got my driver's license. A few years ago I dusted it off and gave it to a friend who has 5 kids. Recently he sent me a picture of his daughter flying through the air after launching off a ramp they had made! The old Race keeps on trucking!

It still has the yellow Comp II tires, Kashimax (sp) seat, and Haro handle bars. Tough little bike that still has a ton of life left.

I had the bike back before freestyling came about. I never saw the appeal of spinning, and "dancing" on the bike. I just wanted to go fast in the dirt and jump stuff.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DkeMHv3voGZK4H8ZsCo7nXN4g0tgBM00PvOyNH1LHMtlgzHDZIW3kXqlXSrDoyEi