1 2
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/22 10:43 p.m.

I'm not going to air someone else's dirty laundry - so don't ask. But we have a fellow GRMer who will end up with a significant amount of time on his hands and will need a GRM-style pick-me-up. 

So please post in this thread your recommendations. Good GRM books. Can't miss YouTubes. Interesting podcasts. Pics of tight rubber on oversized barrels squeezed into places you don't expect them to fit. 

Cars don't have to be the theme but if you're here chances are you know what he likes. GO!

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
2/3/22 12:45 a.m.

I'm here but I don't fit in anywhere, which is why I'm here. Can you give us an idea of what general topics he might be interested in and then everybody can give him some links/suggestions?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/3/22 12:46 a.m.

It's not car related... at all... but Critical Role has well over a thousand hours of livestreamed D&D campaigns on you tube right now.

They're so good that Amazon made an animated series out of their first campaign.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/3/22 1:03 a.m.

'Behind the Bastards' is a snarky podcast about the worst people ever. always worth a listen.

'Let's talk about sets' is a small comedy podcast for comedians, but it might be interesting to anyone who wants to see how the sausage is made.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
2/3/22 2:25 a.m.

Burt Levy books:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=burt+levy&i=stripbooks&crid=JNU21JZW4MR7&sprefix=Burt+Levy%2Cstripbooks%2C164&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_9_ts-doa-p

Fictional history about racing and importing cars in the 1950s.

If this GRMer likes fantasy books:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43493-malazan-book-of-the-fallen

One of the best series I have read, better than The Lord of the Rings IMO. I think there are 9 books in the series so tons of time burned.

Then there is always the best six+ book Trilogy:

https://www.amazon.com/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Douglas-Adams/dp/0345391802 

Hilarity ensues.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/3/22 6:04 a.m.

Wait, you can watch YouTube while incarcerated now? *Reconsiders life choices* 

(The following post has been a joke, please don't take it as anything else, other than my possible reconsidering of life choices if you can.) 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/3/22 6:25 a.m.

One Lap Heroes on Youtube

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/22 9:19 a.m.

Get a Nintendo Switch and Animal Crossing?  Easy, low-stress way to burn a couple hours a day.  That's the self-contained Switch Lite but for $100 more you can get one that hooks to your TV. 

Or Mario Kart if that's more your speed.  Plus $20 for a pair of wheel adaptors:

adam525i
adam525i Dork
2/3/22 11:53 a.m.

I've been enjoying watching Tyrrell's Classic Workshop on YoutTube lately, definitely worth checking out if you like vintage exotic cars at all.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
2/3/22 11:59 a.m.

I have really liked all of these:  https://dinnerwithracers.com/.  They have been at it for 6 or so years so plenty of content if you have not listened to any of the podcasts.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/3/22 12:01 p.m.

Vice grip garage on YouTube.

Cannonball by Brock Yates is a great read.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
2/3/22 12:02 p.m.

I've been listening to Will Smiths audio book and while I still have several hours to go, I found it interesting. 

I like the Mike Rowe podcasts and The audible origins "Rivals". Educational but light and presented in an entertaining manner. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/3/22 12:27 p.m.

Howie Mandel recently had Jay Leno on his podcast.  Very little car content, but Jay provides some background info on the whole Tonight Show debacle I had never heard before.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/3/22 4:57 p.m.

Podcasts that I listen to because I drive a lot for work.

Everyday Driver Car Debate, a couple guys that have a love for cars much like us, have been doing pod for 10 years plus youtube and real TV shows. Bonus, they have a deal with covercraft that sells weathertech products and have a 10% discount code with free shipping (the code changes occasionally so check out the latest podcast for it.) As well as a similar deal with Griots Garage.

Timesuck with Dan Cummins. NSFW no REALLY NSFW but a comedian that does deep dives into interesting subjects ranging from aliens to serial killers to Annie Oakley to real life heros. Highly entertaining. For those of us on the milder side, I'd start with the episode on Mormons for their first taste.

Scared to Death. Dan Cummins and his wife Lynze (edit:I had to look up how to spell her name) duo a podcast about scary stories. Also super interesting if thats your bag. Also nsfw but not nearly as much as Timesuck.

Motorcycles and Misfits. nsfw but a group of people that get together every Sunday and talk motorcycle related stuff. On that same Sunday every week they also have a free community garage where you can bring your motorcycle to work on it. Sometimes the guests stick around and are also on the podcast.

This Motorcycle Life. Between his voice and the subjects this used to be my most anticipated podcast and I still love it but I do have to turn it off occasionally because some of his guests are calling in and the sound quality on the guest end is abysmal.

Highside/Lowside Revzilla podcast. Motorcycle news and banter.

Random Thoughts from the Road. Another Motorcycle podcast with a longtime rider and a mechanic. its the only short podcast(20-30 minutes long) that I listen to. Local guys to me(sorta) they have a website showcasing a lot of great riding routes in MO/AR.

All of these are on my short "never miss an episode because they are the best pod out there" list.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/3/22 5:22 p.m.

If Amazon Prime is available, the entire "Expanse" series is really good.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
2/3/22 5:39 p.m.
Duke said:

Get a Nintendo Switch and Animal Crossing?  Easy, low-stress way to burn a couple hours a day.  That's the self-contained Switch Lite but for $100 more you can get one that hooks to your TV.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been one of the most immersive escapes I've had with a game. I don't really play many games, but I've been coming back to this one for hours here and there since I bought a Switch the day they came out. So, literally years of entertainment.

Also enjoying Far: Lone Sails which a friend just recommended on the same system, though the friend was playing it on a tablet, so you don't even need a game system. Less complex and immersive, but still neat.

Animal Crossing is really neat, and seems very popular. It made me fidget about my to-do list; at one point in the game I was supposed to be picking up sticks, while at home I was literally supposed to be clearing all the sticks I cut down in the back yard. It didn't feel like an escape, but more like I'd added a second world in which I also had a to-do list.

There are so many good GRM books. They've all been covered, but...

• All the Carroll Smith books.
  • Allan Staniforth books
  • The Milliken book
  • If into two wheels, Tony Foale sort of wrote The Book on how they really work.

Retropower's YouTube channel is great, and they just started a whole series on the nuts and bolts of restoration process. I haven't even started it yet, but given the technical detail they've put into their weekly "uncut" videos, I'm excited.
This Old Tony is one of the best things on the Internet, let alone YouTube...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/3/22 5:41 p.m.

Console of choice+ no man's sky. The end. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
2/3/22 5:42 p.m.

Have prime? An afternoon of fun can be had watching James Mays car factory I think it's called. Mini series at mini uk, following a car through the plant. 

Have a kindle? Like sci-fi? The Bob Mayer/Robert Dougherty Area 51 series is an amazing read through and it's on kindle unlimited.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Re: Animal Crossing - yeah, I can see the whole to-do thing, I get it. I do the chores if I feel like it and skip it isn't I don't.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/3/22 10:11 p.m.

Thanks everyone so far! I'll add some of my own.

YouTube - superfastmatt, viny b, macro machines, tech ingredients

That one stampie posted of the 500hp model A engine looked awesome, and I'm hearing about a show on prime called: scrapyard supercar. Which I will be finding time to watch. 

And finally Ted Lasso. Just a great show on so many levels. 

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
2/3/22 11:27 p.m.

YouTube:

my mechanics - asmr-level satisfying videos of old tools being painstakingly restored to better than new condition. No talking, just lots of milling, lathing, and filing.

Colin Furze - goofy Brit building insane devices with questionable safety.  His hot tub e30 made the rounds in online car communities a few years back.  He's still at it, making insane things.

Brick experiment channel - putting lego machines to the test with a scientific approach. Ever wondered what the shear strength of Lego driveshafts are?  What wheels have the best grip?  If you could build a functioning Lego submarine or drone? 

Podcasts:

Never Not Funny - one of the longest running podcasts, hosted by comedian Jimmy Pardo, with his staff, and bringing on other comedians and actors as guests.  Not a typical interview show.  Instead of being the focus, the guests join the conversation, so it feels more like friends hanging out.  

Bananas - writer and comedian/actor hosts bring on guests to take a funny look at weird and strange news. One of the most upbeat and positive podcasts out there.  Nothing but positivity, fun, and joy while celebrating the silliness of the world. 

TV:

Taskmaster - British show pits contestants against each other with oftentimes vague or open ended challenges to be scored by the Taskmaster.  What makes this show stand out is the creativity (or utter incompetence) of the contestants, and the harsh judgement of the Taskmaster, who is inconsistent, unfair, holds a grudge, and takes pleasure in the contestants failure.  It's a truly brilliant take on the panel style game show.  (most of the series is available in YouTube)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/6/22 11:08 a.m.

I love these suggestions so far. Keep em coming as you think if them please!

Here's the link to the awesome model A engine build just to keep things together.

https://youtu.be/T29HFhrbT_s

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/6/22 11:24 a.m.

Books:

Shop Class As Soulcraft (something Crawford)

The Unfair Advantage (Mark Donohue)

that's all I got

MaxC
MaxC Reader
2/6/22 11:29 a.m.

Commuter here, stopped in for the podcast suggestions. If you are in the car for a long time, listen to Hardcore History. It is absolutely epic. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/16/22 9:34 p.m.

Monte Erice 2021 | Giordano Natale | Fiat X1/9, starts at 1:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_3-K2lhyM 

etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsPqM4Bc_jw

The guy has hundreds of different car models all taken at the same points on the courses. No American cars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLU7CdhjAKSwW2EY_jt3jfA/videos

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kFyXRb2XTihoKYuibsTzB49FRnwZKbxGYGasXY2EMmLSRHPkaU06MTdQQsAKErKU