1 2 3 4
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/3/20 5:30 p.m.

Hey gang, I don't want to thread jack  but the bang stick guys are reading this thread, so I want to ask here. I've got A couple totes of reloading stuff I inherited from my uncle - bunch of books, two or three machines, couple die sets, some lead, primers- just a random pile of crap. Is there enough interest in someone buying it all at GRM prices for local pickup in GA? If there's interest I'll start a separate thread. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/3/20 5:40 p.m.

I'm no hunter but I enjoy shooting.  I have a newer 1894 Winchester lever in 45 Long Colt that is just fun to shoot.   No recoil so can shoot a lot of rounds with no pain.  I can't speak to cost per round compared to other calibers but I've never had an issue with availability.  I never wanted to be a cowboy but did like the Rifleman TV show so I guess that's why I like the lever action so much.  

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
8/3/20 5:41 p.m.

Get an AR15, run 22lr or 17HMR through it for range time, plunk a 358 Yeti or 300 Ham'r upper on top for deer or elk.  It's a do it all gun.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 6:42 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Dang. If I was closer I'd be tempted. I have some friends in Atlanta that come out here a couple times a year... let me see what I might be able to put together. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/3/20 6:59 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I will be flying in to ATL to head the wrong direction (north), visiting Rabun Gap in early September.  Rental car will be involved, but it is a nostalgia trip for my wife, so I do not think I will be able to head South of ATL. I will update as I know.  Obviously I would not be able to take everything (primers and powders are hazmat), but if you still have items left, I could help sift through and see about getting Barefootskater set up and help deplete what I am able to.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Out of curiosity, if I was prepping, would a .308 not be a good choice? 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
8/3/20 7:51 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Hey gang, I don't want to thread jack  but the bang stick guys are reading this thread, so I want to ask here. I've got A couple totes of reloading stuff I inherited from my uncle - bunch of books, two or three machines, couple die sets, some lead, primers- just a random pile of crap. Is there enough interest in someone buying it all at GRM prices for local pickup in GA? If there's interest I'll start a separate thread. 

I'm interested and local enough for a day trip.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/3/20 7:53 p.m.

Yes, still a great choice.  There isnt much you cant accomplish with a decent .308 except maybe concealed carry.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
8/3/20 7:54 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

Out of curiosity, if I was prepping, would a .308 not be a good choice? 

My zombie horde attacks list of rounds is 9mm, 5.56, .308, and 12 gauge.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/3/20 8:00 p.m.

9, .223/5.56, 12 g, 7.62x39, 22lr and 38/357 for me for most part, if you dont count black powder and pyrodex.  

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
8/3/20 8:28 p.m.

Semi-auto .308, I have a couple, I dig battle rifles.  I own a PTR91, a FAL, and I built my father-in-law a PSA AR-10. 

Of the three the FAL is my favorite. 

If you're after a CETME/HK91/G3 clone, I wouldn't bother with Century's offerings, save your pennies and buy a PTR.  PTR makes a much higher quality product, and all of their tooling was bought from an H&K licensed manufacturer, so it's made with the same tools that made a whole bunch of the real things.

My FAL is a DSA SA 58, similar story, not a "real" FN FAL but in a lot of ways better.  Mine's a 18" barrel but otherwise traditional.  It's my very favorite gun, I named her Vera. laugh

I'm AR poor, between SWMBO and I, we've got 3, and probably enough parts for 2+ more on hand.  With all the other .308 options, having an AR-10 hasn't ever appealed to me.  SWMBO's dad is a big .308 fan, and had wanted an AR-10 for a long time, so for his birthday a couple years ago, a lot of the family chipped in and I built him one.  Things are pretty streamlined these days, especially at a one stop shop like Palmetto State Armory, but keep in mind if you decide to build an AR-10, they're not quite as parts agnostic as the AR-15 is, there are a few receiver patterns, and not all uppers will fit al lowers.  My FIL seems to really like his AR-10, and has harvested at least one deer and a few nuisance wild hogs with it.

Even as much as I love my FAL and as easy to assemble and as ubiquitous as the AR-10 is, were I in your shoes Barefoot, I'd be shopping for a Springfield M1A, preferably a walnut stock, blued, Loaded model, or National Match if you can swing it.  Price of admission is a little cheaper on the Standard model, but Loaded gets you a better barrel and  trigger, National Match takes it to another level.

As others have already cautioned, these are crazy times we live in.  All of the popular stuff is extra hard to come by, including .308.  Reloading is great, but if you don't already have supplies, those are hard to come by at the moment too.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/3/20 9:06 p.m.

While .308 is a fine caliber, there are some more "competitive" calibers that have roughly similar costs of feeding. 260 rem or 6.5 creedmore have a little better external ballistics than .308 and are still big enough for medium game like whitetail or muley. I don't know if I'd trust it or .308 for elk but I'm sure there are people that have done it. 

My target rifle is also my hunting rifle but I just sit in a stand so the weight isn't an issue. I load my target recipe with a hornady a-max for hunting, and it only shoots off by .1 mil. 

if your focus is on target shooting and at longer ranges than 100 yards, I'd recommend going straight to a mil/mil scope rather than moa, as personally the math is easier and it is also a lot easier to find a first focal plane (FFP) scope with a mil reticle and mil adjustments. Lots of low budget scopes come with a mil reticle and moa adjustments, which just makes stuff difficult. 

my recommendation is for something from savage as if you want to change things up later you can swap barrels at home with just a bench vise and a couple specialty wrenches. My gun is a .308 savage model 11 hog hunter (heavy barrel with factory iron sights) in a bell & Carlson fiberglass stock and cdi precision bottom metal for detachable mags with a primary arms 4-14x ffp mil/mil scope. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/3/20 9:13 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

If there are any small rifle or small pistol primers in the bunch put them on gunbroker ASAP, small pistol primers are in high demand right now. For the rest, I'd be interested in seeing what dies there are. 

I'd wager that most people that reload will only be interested in parts here and there. If you want to sell it online try the equipment exchange on ar15.com 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/3/20 9:51 p.m.

I'd like a boom stick.... Drilled with an M1 Garand for four years at a military academy, and for sentimental purposes would love to pick up a working model... CMP seems to be out, and not sell to people like me. Gunbroker is like 1500+... anyone got leads? I'm in CA.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/3/20 10:41 p.m.

I got a C&R license a while back and gathered up a few more old fashined killin' machines than I have cars. 7.62x39 surplus ammo works out well along with picking up a box or two of .22 long for the plinkers whenever I'm at a store that sells that stuff. Just watch for sales on spam cans or cases and pick up a thousand or two rounds at a time from places like this:  https://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-tulammo-fmj-ammo,-640rd-sealed-tin.-p-4572.html

Bottom line, supply and cost of most ammo changes frequently on short notice. Choose your size and buy in bulk when you can (not preppy, but thrifty).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
8/3/20 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Gun shows and Armslist.  Armslist has treated me well.

We've got a run-of-the-mill gun show at the county fair grounds 4 times a year, $5 to get in the door, is usually worth it just for people watching.  I've made it to "The Largest Gun Show in the World," Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show, in Tulsa, OK 3 years running, it got canceled this year due to 'rona.  They do it twice a year, Spring & Fall, and there are plenty of Garands there every year.  If you're not picky about provenance, matching parts, or a rare model, you should be able to snag an "armorer's parts bin" M1 Garand for around $700.

Story time:

I wanted an IHC, like since I was in high school and learned that a tractor manufacturer once made M1 Garands, if I was going to get one it was going to be an IHC.  I turned down many other Garands, holding out for "the one."  I was finally at a point in my life that I could make it happen, and I'd been passively looking for 3 or 4 years. 

I took a firearm newbie friend of mine shopping for his first shotgun at the local gun show, so he could get his hands on a lot of things.  We'd stopped to admire several Garands, I was really tempted by a nice parts matching Springfield, but I told my friend, "no I'm holding out for an IHC, if I ever find a complete one, I'm buying it."  It wasn't 5 minutes later, maybe 3 or 4 tables down, a regular guy, non gun dealer, had bought a couple tables at the show, to unload some of his private collection, a bunch of WWII & Korea memorabilia, including several Grands and M1 Carbines and accessories.  The clouds parted, and a light shined down from Heaven, there it was, a complete, parts matching, immaculate, IHC M1 Garand.  There was a guy ahead of me, he had been haggling, and had gone to an ATM to get more cash.  However, I came prepared, as I always do to a gun show.  We discussed price, some brief negotiating, I handed over cash, and was a proud owner of an IHC M1 Garand!

About a month later, I was at the Tulsa Arms Show, trying to get a better understanding of some of the roll marks and cartouches on my Garand.  Just showing the old dudes with dozens of Garands for sale, photos of my IHC and asking questions, they all wanted to see the photos, scolded me for not having it with me, and offered me 3X what I paid for it. surprise  I didn't really have buyers remorse, before, but I did have some post purchase reservations, not about the Garand, more about the amount I spent, it was not an insignificant amount of money to more or less impulse buy something on the spot.  After talking with the "Garand experts," in Tulsa, all reservations had flown out the window. laugh

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 10:48 p.m.

So the consensus seems to be that .308 is good.  Awesome. That's what I thought, good to know that at least I'm not way off in my thinking. Good stuff here to think on too. 

1) Probably gonna stay clear of gun forums. I don't know that I have a good enough filter.

2) I do know of a fellow or two that are professional hunting guides and similar. I really should reach out and introduce myself, see what I can learn. 

3) y'all are awesome, helpful folks. I posted questions so I could try to learn and nobody got preachy or tried to convince me of anything or sell me anything. 

If anyone has a reason NOT to go with .308 (aside from it not being exactly cheap to shoot) I'd love to hear it. I'm still a few weeks at least from buying, funding is secured, but I'm trying for once in my life to not rush into a somewhat large purchase. Just attempting to do all the research I can. Thanks all. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/3/20 11:10 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Worth a trip if it's within a day's drive. I never thought I could spend a whole day wandering around one 'store'. Tulsa Arms Show proved me wrong.

November 14, 15 this year: http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/homem.html

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/3/20 11:40 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

I got a C&R license a while back and gathered up a few more old fashined killin' machines than I have cars. 7.62x39 surplus ammo works out well along with picking up a box or two of .22 long for the plinkers whenever I'm at a store that sells that stuff. Just watch for sales on spam cans or cases and pick up a thousand or two rounds at a time from places like this:  https://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-tulammo-fmj-ammo,-640rd-sealed-tin.-p-4572.html

Bottom line, supply and cost of most ammo changes frequently on short notice. Choose your size and buy in bulk when you can (not preppy, but thrifty).

I've considered getting my C&R too, I have a few surplus things I wanna get

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/4/20 3:35 a.m.

Get a 308. They are great for anything except maybe squirrel hunting. I have a model 1909 Mauser Argentinian. A couple years ago I had it rebarreled in 308 I really like it. I have way too much money in the gun what is a beautiful piece. If you're going to hand load consider a 35 Whelen. It is a 30 ought 6 shell necked out to 35 caliber. Which makes it almost a straight wall cartridge. If you want versatility shooting different calibers get an AR. I have several friends that have them that shoot 5.56 by 45 and change the upper receiver to shoot 450 Bushmaster. The 450 Bushmaster gives you very similar ballistics to a 45-70. The use the same magazine you just change the follower I believe that if 13 round 450 Bushmaster magazine is exactly the same as a 30 round 5.56 by 45 magazine except for the follower

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/4/20 4:58 a.m.

Thanks for the responses on the reloading stuff. Looks like Stampie has first call based on locality and timeframe. If there's stuff he declines I'll start a thread on it. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/4/20 5:54 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

There are other cartridges with some benefits over .308, but they really don't matter. If you are uncertain, stick with .308. It does a lot and there is a huge amount of reloading info, that the newer cartridges can't match. If you consider a bolt action, and don't mind the length, step up to .30-06 for the same reasons as staying .308 plus extra goodness.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 5:56 a.m.

Another threadjack: What about shotguns? My brother and I have been doing more trap shooting. I currently have a very old, very cheap Remington.  It works but if I'm going to do more of it I think I'd like something a little nicer and if possible isn't trying so hard to beat me up. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/4/20 7:21 a.m.

I have only ever bought one gun, but due to relatives passing away and my brother having a history of psych stuff I have a lot more than one. With kid #2 on the way its a good time to curate my collection. 

If one were looking to par down a collection, what is the best way to go about it without getting ripped off? 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
8/4/20 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

A semi auto would cut down on the beating but not sure y’all do that for trap. Maybe a lighter load?  For semi autos I like my Remington 1100. They’re a great value as you can gets used ones reasonably cheap. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCQXbT1IdVk9zEFIcVjcAw2317xhFbICROg5TRIm5X2cpqvVy0OMGBA02DAlDtjf