Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/29/21 7:01 a.m.
mdshaw said:

Speaking from experience, just get something because eventually you will have 1 of almost every caliber anyway. 
Can't go wrong with .308, 7.62x39 (which I much prefer over .223), 9mm & of course .22 because they're fun & cheap. No real need for .40 or .45 because of the advancements in 9mm ammo & cheaper also. 
.308 does kick more but there are ways to reduce this. I put my .308 Weatherby in a 3 way suppression Axiom stock & added a larger custom magazine. 

Can shoot all day it you want & is not painfull. 
For all around ruggedness accuracy & fun, hard to beat SKS (7.62x39) & Mosin Nagant (7.62x51). 
I put my SKS in a Bullpup stock. 

Looks alot like my x 95. 
I miss that piece, such a shame about that boating accident. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/29/21 7:47 a.m.

I need to lookup the various load combo's to get my 185g match bullets to match the lower limit for major power factor.  I have to ring dad and get over to use the reloading shop. 

The recent competitions and weekend range trips have me dying to try the IDPA competitions at Target World.  My  +2 mag extensions for the Witness Match 45 just arrived so have to assemble those. 

All I am missing is a good competition holster now.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/29/21 5:44 p.m.
84FSP said:

I thought IDPA was about carry gear. wink

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
1/30/21 9:23 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

Ammo Depot emailed me this morning with $8 surplus .50 cal ammo cans, even with shipping and tax, that's less than half the price the Military Surplus

They must be gone, I went looking and all they have are new ones.

$9 now: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/m2a1-used-m2a-1-50-caliber-empty-ammo-can-used.html

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/30/21 10:51 a.m.
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:
84FSP said:

I thought IDPA was about carry gear. wink

Kind of like IPSC was about stock guns.  Should have clarified as I think the only pistol I have that has a holster is the Walter 380.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/30/21 11:53 a.m.

I just found a company that loads a 400gr 44 magnum. 

Says 1000fps thru a rifle so I expect it to be 800fps ish thru a revolver but it could be more since heavy bullets don't gain much in a longer barrel.

Depending what it hits it's close to what I was gonna load, just heavier for the 329pd

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/30/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Hand cannon for sure. You worried about bear, or what?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/30/21 1:06 p.m.

That would be a beast in one of the 44lever guns

1/30/21 1:06 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Hand cannon for sure. You worried about bear, or what?

There are many bear up here so a bit.

Usually I use a Blackhawk for heavy stuff, the superlight 329pd is...... uncomfortable in higher horsepower loads

1/30/21 1:10 p.m.
84FSP said:

That would be a beast in one of the 44lever guns

I may have to get a few lever guns soon, I sonehow have only owned one lever action ever

barefootskater (Shaun)
1/30/21 6:47 p.m.

I went out today to sight in my new glass and teach youngest bro. He's able to keep a 3" group of .22 at 25y from a rest. Not bad for only his second day of actual practice vs. "point it there and pull". He was even able to take out one of the modelo bottles we found @50y. Not bad for 11yo. 

It was crowdy today, but I met some nice folks and was able to help out some underprepared out-of-towners by providing some skeet and a thrower. Not sure why you'd even bring a riot gun out with nothing to shoot at. And they let me pick up all their brass afterwards. 

I couldn't really stretch because of the crowds but the scope is as good as it's gonna get from 50y. 1.5" groups of Winchester gray box and the same using FMJ surplus. The reviews say this weapon is better than that, so I'm gonna say cheap ammo and an unskilled hand are the culprits. Still, fun. Even found some big boy brass that someone left, which is a break from the usual 9 and 223 I find. Not a bad January day. And my better 3/4 says she has taxes ready too. So soon it's no more car payments and more fun stuff. Hopefully. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
2/18/21 1:44 p.m.

Can anyone give a suggestion an a "affordable" boom stick for taking down a coyote at 50ish yards? 

We have 8 chickens that if the weather is nice, we let them out and free range in our fenced in backyard. A furry friend took the rooster a couple weeks ago, but somehow the rooster got away and hit inside a dead tree outside the fence, and 2 days later the chicken we thought went missing showed back up. Last night I walked out to a coyote with a chicken in his mouth right off the porch. I yelled, he let the bird go and casually left through a hole in the fence, then stared at me in the field I have on my property. 

I have a 410, and a sears 22. neither of them I'm confident of taking out a coyote from any distance. The best chance of seeing him is the field, which is between 50-80 yards. My dad is on the other side, so if we plan it well he's got bullets coming from both sides. I don't want to spend AR money, because AR money is stupid even for an AR. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/18/21 1:50 p.m.

A good 22 will do and take it down with a well placed head shot. I would have no issues with an 80 yard shot from my 10-22. Having family in the line of fire in the even of a miss worries me if that is what you are saying. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
2/18/21 1:55 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Both of our houses are up a good 20ft, and the field is a flood plane. Neither of our shots have much risk of anything. Mine is off the back porch so even safer. I don't have that much confidence in my abilities to get the head shot, especially with a 1950s sears unscoped. 22. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/18/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

I've seen people take deer with a 410, and a 22 (not ethical or legal and I don't condone that one) but it was the "right 22" and I've seen my dad miss the whole target with a 60 year old single shot 22 with iron sights that was definitely the wrong 22.  With someone on the other side I would either use the 410 and turkey shot or borrow a good 12 or 20 gauge.  Me personally?  I have a bolt action 22 that shoots 1/4" groups at 50 yards but would probably still go with my 28" barreled 12 gauge and some turkey loads.   Why turkey?  Small shot with a lot of ass behind it, effective range is about where you specified in my experience 

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/18/21 2:05 p.m.

I'd think about a shotgun slug, or whatever deer rifle is cheapest at your local getting place.  I've seen bolt action .223, .243, .308, 6.5cm all for around 300 freedom bucks lately. Good luck finding anything to run through them though. 

On a different note, maybe a muzzle loader? Inline guns are often <$200 and I don't think you could have an ineffective shot from a .50. And powder and bullets seem in ready supply even now at my local places. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/18/21 2:15 p.m.

I keep a model 94 32 Win Spl around for quick grabs on things like Coyotes.  I find I'm pretty deadly accurate with the sights on that thing.  I prefer a bigger, heavier ball when I definitely want to make sure it's dead.  It tends to ruin a fair amount of meat on something I want to harvest and put in the freezer if you're not picky about where you hit.

Edit:  nevermind.  I bought mine for $180, but it looks like they're stoopid expensive.

Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/18/21 2:16 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I just found a company that loads a 400gr 44 magnum. 

Says 1000fps thru a rifle so I expect it to be 800fps ish thru a revolver but it could be more since heavy bullets don't gain much in a longer barrel.

Depending what it hits it's close to what I was gonna load, just heavier for the 329pd

Turns out I was right

Also not the most pleasant to fire in an airlight 44

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/18/21 2:17 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

It used to be $350-400 would get you an AR. I bought mine for $500 many yeas ago and it's claimed a few coyotes. 50gr .223 v-max drops a 'yote in their tracks. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
2/18/21 2:19 p.m.

In the situation you've described, I'd go to my 9mm carbine.  I wouldn't be crazy about a .22 because .22 rounds bounce of E36 M3 like crazy (rocks, water, etc).  A .410 would do the trick if you are close enough, and there are some multi-pellet buck shot loads.  Good luck finding those right now, however, as "The Judge" pistols will also fire them, so they are in short supply.

As for a muzzle loader, I have only this to add:  If you take a coyote with a muzzle loader, you are absolutely required to make it into a hat.

Glacier Wear Coyote Mountain Man Fur Hat With Cape image 0

Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/18/21 2:20 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

Can anyone give a suggestion an a "affordable" boom stick for taking down a coyote at 50ish yards? 

We have 8 chickens that if the weather is nice, we let them out and free range in our fenced in backyard. A furry friend took the rooster a couple weeks ago, but somehow the rooster got away and hit inside a dead tree outside the fence, and 2 days later the chicken we thought went missing showed back up. Last night I walked out to a coyote with a chicken in his mouth right off the porch. I yelled, he let the bird go and casually left through a hole in the fence, then stared at me in the field I have on my property. 

I have a 410, and a sears 22. neither of them I'm confident of taking out a coyote from any distance. The best chance of seeing him is the field, which is between 50-80 yards. My dad is on the other side, so if we plan it well he's got bullets coming from both sides. I don't want to spend AR money, because AR money is stupid even for an AR. 

Coyotes are pretty small, how about an off the wall idea and say a hi point carbine in whichever caliber you can find ammo for?

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/18/21 2:21 p.m.

Supposedly a .17hmr will take coyote, and they're still on shelves, and they're dead flat at that range. I'm skeptical though. That's a small projectile, and even thinking about a breeze will knock the round off target. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
2/18/21 2:36 p.m.

.17 HMR will do it no problem, dad and I have taken several coyotes and nuisance dogs with his 96/17 and my 93R17.

Dad lost a calf to a pair of coyotes a couple weeks ago, now there's only 1 coyote.

Wind does affect it more than a larger round, but it's cooking at 2500+ FPS, wind isn't as detrimental to its performance as the internet would lead you to believe.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
2/18/21 3:29 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

I don't want to spend AR money, because AR money is stupid even for an AR. 

AR money isn't that much more money than most other things, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'd get a Ruger American in 7.62x39, most of the time a soft point steel cased round is going to be the cheapest intermediate power cartridge. Prices for guns and ammunition are high right now when you can even find them.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/18/21 5:24 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I'd think about a shotgun slug, or whatever deer rifle is cheapest at your local getting place.  I've seen bolt action .223, .243, .308, 6.5cm all for around 300 freedom bucks lately. Good luck finding anything to run through them though. 

On a different note, maybe a muzzle loader? Inline guns are often <$200 and I don't think you could have an ineffective shot from a .50. And powder and bullets seem in ready supply even now at my local places. 

You aren't suggesting a deer rifle for a coyote under 100 yards between him and his dad's house are you?   I may have misunderstood 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0zlu3lnBvDXSC1MnzsFwH3lpXeChv9jbm6cmuYDKiXwy70fd55r2ANSFrBEkkB2b