Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
2/28/21 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

Pre riots/covid/Biden 6.5 Grendel was less than .223 if you were ok with steel cased.  I believe 6.5G and 7.62x39 were about the same 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
3/5/21 5:06 p.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/6/21 8:17 p.m.

Managed to get 300 rounds of CCI .22LR copper jacket target loads for $33.00 today.  Who would have thought that would be considered a good buy?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/6/21 8:56 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

These days any available .22 that isn't .25/ea is decent. I grabbed a couple boxes at Walmart last night, shocked they had anything. The guy who walked up behind me cleared them out. .10 isn't terrible, even if it is double. 

Benswen
Benswen Reader
3/7/21 11:13 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Managed to get 300 rounds of CCI .22LR copper jacket target loads for $33.00 today.  Who would have thought that would be considered a good buy?

Care to share where?  I ordered some online yesterday for quite a bit more than that, but it was about all I could find.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/7/21 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Benswen :

Dunham's.  They are VERY hit or miss as to whether they have stock or not, but they are one of the few that's isn't massively gouging on price on what they have.  I've taken to stopping in pretty much every time I'm driving by.  I'd say I'm successful about 30% of the time, and by "successful", I mean getting any one of the following:  .22, 9mm, 12 buckshot or 7.62X39.    

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/7/21 2:54 p.m.

So what's the thinking on prices coming back down for ammo?

I was just inventorying my supply and I'd like to stock up a few different calibers but it's a bit like the stock market, buying at the peak is stupid.   So, will waiting 6-12 months pay off by seeing prices drop 50% (or more)?   Will we ever see the days of 550 round boxes of .22 for $10 again?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/7/21 3:48 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Boy, if only we knew

barefootskater (Shaun)
3/7/21 3:57 p.m.

I've never seen $10 boxes. Two years ago around here those 550 boxes were $20-25 depending on the store. Id be happy to see that again. Not sure it'll happen though. I do miss the $12 boxes of 9mm. 

3/7/21 4:25 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I'm old.

But looking in my bin I have (not very old) 50 round boxes of .22 labeled $2.95.  That's 5.9 cents a round and I remember it being 2 cents a round.   Now the cheapest I can find is 18 cents and that just ain't happening.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/7/21 4:36 p.m.

I need 9mm ammo crying

3/7/21 4:41 p.m.
stroker
stroker UberDork
3/7/21 5:35 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

So what's the thinking on prices coming back down for ammo?

I was just inventorying my supply and I'd like to stock up a few different calibers but it's a bit like the stock market, buying at the peak is stupid.   So, will waiting 6-12 months pay off by seeing prices drop 50% (or more)?   Will we ever see the days of 550 round boxes of .22 for $10 again?

We're going to need to see some significant political changes before supply is able to meet demand...

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/7/21 6:04 p.m.

This isn't my analysis, but it sort of makes sense.  I was talking with one of the long term employees at the local gun shop about that issue.  He said that basically, it's kind of the "perfect storm".  The ammo supply chain is based on relatively stable demand.  In the past, certain political and economic factors had driven up demand and prices (Y2K is the first such event I can remember), but generally over relatively short periods of time.  Those spikes are generally driven by hard-core shooters (who are going to buy and shoot no matter what the cost increase) and what you might call "preppers", why buy to excess on the concern they may not be able to buy in the future.  Those two groups alone are capable of putting pressure on the supply system, especially if they are trying to buy anticipating some sort of "future need".  The pandemic, periods of national unrest, and an uncertain political future all drove these two groups to buy.  The "wild card" this time is the massive number of new gun owners.  He said industry sources estimate 8,000,000 new gun owners.  That's actually a little short of some numbers I've heard based on first time background checks, which I think were closer to 10,000,000.  On a micro level, both my brother and brother-in-law made first time purchases in the last year.   These new owners almost always arrive on the scene with no ammo reserves.  If each of them buys a few hundred rounds, you are into the billions of rounds that need to be added to a supply chain already under pressure from pre-existing gun owners.  If they try to buy at shooter/prepper levels, it gets even worse.  He says manufacturers are starting to ramp up production, but are hesitant to over-extend based on what MAY be temporary circumstances.  (He didn't mention it, but honestly I see a bit of profiteering adding to the issue)  He says they are still selling guns faster than they ever have before, so it doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

barefootskater (Shaun)
3/7/21 7:25 p.m.

I've been .04-.06 for 22 since I started buying. Folks at the local gun show wanted .25 and there's no way. I paid .05 just the other day at Walmart but that's the first time I've seen 22 on the shelf there in a year. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
3/7/21 7:29 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Ditto. If you can, and it may be different where you live, but check the local big retailers in person as often as you can. Places like Sportsman's warehouse, Walmart, cal-ranch. At least around me, when you're lucky enough to find some they almost always have it at regular prices. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Reader
3/7/21 9:21 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Ditto. If you can, and it may be different where you live, but check the local big retailers in person as often as you can. Places like Sportsman's warehouse, Walmart, cal-ranch. At least around me, when you're lucky enough to find some they almost always have it at regular prices. 

My preferred LGS also posts all their incoming shipments via their Facebook page.  Maybe that is a viable way for others to keep tabs on what their favorite local outlets have in stock in something approximating real time.

Benswen
Benswen Reader
3/9/21 2:42 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Thanks for the tip - there's a Dunham's not too far from here.  I'll stop in next time I'm passing through.

Anyone know where to find some .41 Remington Magnum?  They seem to have completely disappeared.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/9/21 2:57 p.m.

I poke around on Ammo Buy to get an idea of general pricing trends.  They are an aggregator of pricing data.  

I found this for .41 Rem Mag

I also track pricing on the auction site Gun Broker who list a lot of ammo though I haven't looked for the .41 Rem Mag.  

On Gun Broker I've been watching Buy It Now pricing on 500 round sales of name brand brass case 9mm ammo in 115g FMJ.  Just after the first of the year it was regularly available of about $260-$280.  After the Jan. 6th BS, pricing went up to almost $400 for the same qty/type and it has been drifting back down slowly to about $310-$325 now.  I'm not a buyer at that price but I find it interesting to watch the trends.  I anticipate it continuing to drop over the next year as the inflamed political rhetoric cools off (hopefully), the Covid 19 vaccine covers a greater portion of the population, and people get out and about more often this summer.  Just my take on what's happening. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/13/21 7:19 p.m.

So I decided to pick up a GSG-16 today.  First, let me say I haven't shot it yet, so further bulletins as events warrant.  Here are my initial impressions:  It's pretty high on the "cool factor" .  Pretty sure xhibit laid out the rail locations on the gun, there are at least 5.  A lot of it is plastic, and only a moderate quality plastic.  I suspect it will scratch easily.  The anodizing on the metal parts is not great.  Just making adjustments on the rear site wears/scratches the fastener down to bare metal.  It was shipped pretty dry, so I disassembled it to put a light coat of oil on the moving parts.  It was a bit complicated and fiddly to break it down.  A random spring fell out and I needed to flex some google fu to figure out where it came from.  So there's the negatives so far.  On the positive side, it's pretty cool.  It can be accessorized like a Miata.  It's also pretty cool.  It comes with 2 mags.  It's the first gun I've owned where the operating procedure includes slapping the charging handle to release the bolt.  On line reviews indicate it eats pretty much every form of .22 ammo except some extremely low velocity stuff, which I don't generally buy.   Practical accuracy looks to be pretty good for something this small from what I've seen on line.  Did I mention it's pretty cool? Oh, and since I was buying a gun, Dunhams sold me a 1400 count bucket of Remington .22 for $100.  Way more than I've previously paid, but way cheaper than you'll probably find it elsewhere, if you can find it at all.  I've now got a plicker/practice version of my carry gun and my 9mm carbine and several thousand rounds of practice ammo.  The only thing I'm missing now is a .22 Mossberg 500.  smiley

Stock photo for reference:

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
3/13/21 9:26 p.m.

Aim has steel case Wolf .308 for $0.80/round.

https://aimsurplus.com/wolf-308-win-fmj-20rd-box/

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/13/21 11:59 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

.308 seems to be more commonly in supply than most things lately. Also .22. Still no signs of demand easing on 9/.45/.223. Glad I got what I got. 

Also looking at a a Ruger LCP II .22. Anyone know anything pertinent?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/14/21 12:32 a.m.

What's the intended purpose?

I have a p3at, it's only really good at being light and small. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/14/21 1:09 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Being light and small. Holding more than a heritage. Being a good substitute for practice with an EC9S since I can't seem to find more 9mm. Being safer for less trained hands than an ancient purse pistol (drop protection, trigger safety) as it's not technically me looking  

Pretty much looking for reliability and ruggedness. And decent value. Ruger tends to excel in those areas. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/14/21 1:46 a.m.

I don't have any first hand experience but on the reliability front, super light autos aren't usually the best and more so for inexperienced shooters.

The 22lr is hugely neutered in a short barrel, expect 800-900fps for a whopping 60ish ft lbs of muzzle energy if you are thinking about a defence gun. The sights on any of these aren't spectacular nor are they easy to shoot.

Does it have to be small and light? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
naENcIin0d3b666aGU7WAQ3MNBKEvkNyxjr9tJ0UieDcMWNIo9izdqdcHx156YrE