84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/13/21 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Lee :

The trigger setup is early Kidd 1.75lb.  The barrel is 0.903 Green Mountain.  Scope is a Dusk Till Dawn 6-18x50.  Need to remember where I bought the unfinished stock as finishing that insanely hard composite from roughed in wasn't my smartest life choice.  Total budget build from 15 years ago.  Think I have $400 or so total in it.  It shoots a bit better than the 77/22 but that is mostly haptics.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/14/21 4:26 p.m.

I have a Savage Mark II with a bull barrel and a Sweet 22 scope, shot a legit 5 shot 1/4" group at 50

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/14/21 6:39 p.m.

The bolt guns should always eclipse even the best autos.  Apparently the new Vudoo is good for 0.33" at 100yds.

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/15/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Kentucky Gun Co. has an Anderson upper and lower, assembled, upper has a Magpul MOE hand guard and a low profile picatinny gas block, comes with 1 magazine for $590 shipped if you pay with a check.  $608 with a card.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=154591

I hate that a $600 Anderson is a good deal now. crying

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/15/21 9:52 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

It's nuts to think about having a sweet custom 10/22 like that for under $400, now that a plain Jane, base model, walnut or synthetic, 10/22 is $300.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/15/21 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Lee :

My "custom built" side charged AR (like they all should be) with all USA made name brand parts was $530 with no sights or magazines.  THAT makes a $300 .22 sound expensive unless you consider that the .22 is the only thing you can afford to shoot

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/23/21 4:16 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/23/21 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Lee :

I saw that the other day. Better price than I've seen in a long time. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/25/21 12:36 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Lee :

My "custom built" side charged AR (like they all should be)t

Until you have to shoot it with the right hand side almost on the ground.  laugh

Serious question though: How did you get that set up? I've seen a couple of designs for that, but finding one on the regular market seems almost impossible. For a gun that's going to get used for hunting, losing the forward assist and moving to a side charge seems like a possible good way to get it set up.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/25/21 2:15 a.m.
Lee said:

Decent price for surplus .308

https://aimsurplus.com/surplus-czech-s-b-308-20rd-box-147grn-fmj/

Is that boxer or Berdan primed, do you know? The website didn't have the info in the product description.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/25/21 8:20 p.m.

Added another PCC to the household today.  Dunhams has Ruger PC in 9mm on sale this week.  Kazoospec Jr. has been looking for one for a while now.  The official "sale" is $100 off, but basically, it brought it back to "pre-pandemic" prices of $599.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it seems like a really nice gun for the money.  Doesn't really look all "tacticool" like the CX-4 I already own, but looks extremely well built.  Further bulletins once we've had a chance to feed some rounds through it. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/25/21 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Check Bear Creek Arsenal.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/26/21 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy : I haven't shot it laying that flat yet.  I'd post pics but it's very far away right now.  Basically there is a threaded hole in the BCG with a handle bolted to it and a slot in the receiver for it to cycle. 

it's no different to operate than a Mini 14, AK, 10/22, M1A, Garand, M1 Carbine......

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/26/21 8:42 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy : I haven't shot it laying that flat yet.  I'd post pics but it's very far away right now.  Basically there is a threaded hole in the BCG with a handle bolted to it and a slot in the receiver for it to cycle. 

it's no different to operate than a Mini 14, AK, 10/22, M1A, Garand, M1 Carbine..

Sorry, I though the smiley face indicated my level of bull E36 M3 was fairly high.

Though, I have heard that the AR platform was with a center charging setup for the reason I mentioned. I also heard it was for better ambidextrous operation. I've also heard that it was so it couldn't get snagged on things as easily.

I, myself, have no idea why Stoner designed it that way.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/26/21 9:06 p.m.

We are good!  I guess I'm trying to be funny and it just reads sarcastic 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/27/21 8:52 a.m.

The 1950's Armalite AR10 had the charging handle/knob/pull/whatever-you-call-it in a slot below the carry handle.  Nice and out of the way.  Might have been a longer reach for some.  Might also have allowed more dust/crap in.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/28/21 8:20 p.m.

Can I get a hand with an identification?

Cviedo 1925 doesn't bring anything up on Google or Bing.

I believe is a 7 mm, but not even positive there. Found it buried in the gun cabinet behind a Westinghouse 1915 mosin nagant.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
4/28/21 9:21 p.m.
RevRico said:

I believe is a 7 mm, but not even positive there. Found it buried in the gun cabinet behind a Westinghouse 1915 mosin nagant.

Spanish Mauser made by Cviedo.   I Googled Cviedo and came up with a 1916 Spanish Mauser and a pdf all about Spanish Mausers.

Spanish Mausers

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/28/21 9:43 p.m.

Top center charging handle on the early AR's were removed because they were mounted-to/part-of the gas key. All the gas operating the action went through the base of that handle.

stroker
stroker UberDork
4/29/21 6:15 a.m.

Went to MidwayUSA.com last night browsing for a SAA.  They list 100 models of single action centerfire revolvers and 94 of them aren't available.  

This is nuts.

I have to wonder how much it would cost to have a 80% SAA frame made by someone with a CAM milling machine...

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/29/21 7:10 a.m.
noddaz said:
RevRico said:

Spanish Mauser made by Cviedo.   I Googled Cviedo and came up with a 1916 Spanish Mauser and a pdf all about Spanish Mausers.

Spanish Mausers

Pretty neat guns - folks really dig them.  That one looks to have been arsenal reconditioned as the wood and browning/bluing look good for a military gun.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/29/21 7:49 a.m.

That rifle was probably originally chambered in 7X57 Mauser.  A lot of old surplus rifles have been rechambered, sometimes to inappropriate cartridges for their actions.  A gunsmith or serious hobbyist will have the stuff to make a chamber casting to verify.  Or get some Cerrosafe and do your own.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/29/21 10:16 a.m.

Just gave a Mauser fan friend of mine a hell of a deal on it.

He didn't want to buy the Westinghouse Mosin until we learned more about it, because prices range from 175-1500 on gun broker at the moment. 

I can't find any marking that screams "Finnish reimport", but also not much to know if it was actually used by the Russians that ordered it.

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/29/21 8:02 p.m.

Considering the current market, everything but the lower for $450 is pretty good.  The preinstalled, 13", M-lok, free float, handguard would be >$80 by itself.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-classic-rifle-kit2.html

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/29/21 8:51 p.m.
stroker said:

Went to MidwayUSA.com last night browsing for a SAA.  They list 100 models of single action centerfire revolvers and 94 of them aren't available.  

This is nuts.

I have to wonder how much it would cost to have a 80% SAA frame made by someone with a CAM milling machine...

Which one do you have your eye on?

I've been thinking of getting something engraved and cool or maybe 3.5 barrelled Thunderer. Neither are in stock when I go look for them

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bw8BqcV6cDJSx7AyoW2riZyU3F7nQKVqxAXEaLuxIlTY1XRpiJx33an1TzcEEYVS