barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/23/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I'm in a pretty small town and unaware of any official clubs or anything like that that might have enough members to cater to something as specific as black powder. Also, I'm not super competitive with anyone other than myself. 
That said, what really lit the fire was going out and competing with some guys. The target was totally attainable with a muzzleloader, and I couldn't help but think how much fun it would be to outperform all the .223 guys with a round ball. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/24/21 4:51 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Went out Sunday with some guys from work. Couldn't hit anything, hand my rifle to a guy and he goes to turn the scope power up and the whole scope rotated! The clamp screws had backed out a bit. Still had fun. Out shot most of the .223 guys with my .22. Went home and cleaned my gun and tightened the offending screws, but my thread locker is in my toolbox which is still at our old place, so I'll have to grab that before I go sight the thing in again. 

Thinking hard on black powder. Sales this week, too. I like the look of the Traditions Kentucky rifle. Undecided on percussion or flint. Gonna try to get out and operate a flint gun this week. 

Blue loctite on the screws, I keep a small container of it my gear bag, because a Mini 14 will rattle that stuff loose and launch the ejected brass into the next zip code.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
11/25/21 4:47 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Holosun 403

The 2 moa dot is pretty basic, but this would be a solid buy.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/25/21 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

An adjustable gas block for Minis exists doesn't it?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
11/25/21 5:08 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Is this close enough?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/25/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

That looks worth checking out. Once I get operational I'll have to pay them a visit. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Reader
11/25/21 8:39 p.m.
Toebra said:

...a Mini 14 will rattle that stuff loose and launch the ejected brass into the next zip code.

As Justjim75 suggested, adjustable gas blocks are available. You can also get a set of custom gas bushings with different size orifices to tune the action a bit, and 1911 buffers (possibly sliced thinner), placed one on the piston and one around the back end of the spring so that the bolt contacts the buffer rather than the gas block and receiver at each end of the travel. The combination takes cycling from a violent CLANG-CLANG down to a far more tolerable double thump. Mine is set up to kick the brass about 10-12' out, which is more than plenty for reliable operation. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
11/25/21 11:50 p.m.
Toebra said:

a Mini 14 will rattle that stuff loose and launch the ejected brass into the next zip code.

All Minis are overgassed.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/26/21 6:49 p.m.

On the subject of black powder, my son (16) and I love shooting our 44 cal Colt 1851 sorta replica. I say sorta because the real ones were .36 not .44.  If I knew how I'd post the super short low res video.  It's almost a GIF really

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/4/21 4:08 p.m.

I had the privilege of shooting a 30 cal M1 Garand today that was all original with virtually zero bore ware. OMG I am in love.  One flyer figuring out the sites and after that it was a nail driver at 100 yards.  I have shot some rather clapped out ones in the past with bores that were rather loose and I was never impressed. However this thing was amazing. It inspires confidence.  I think I know what Santa is getting me this year if I can find a good one. 

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/4/21 5:36 p.m.

I also went out today and shot something new that I've not done before. .54 flintlock. Seeing as the mrs ordered me a traditions kit for Christmas, I thought I should learn to drive one.  I've shot percussion guns before, and I'm sure I'd have been happy with one, but I'd have always regretted the decision. Now I've shot one, I am very excited. Mine is .50, and has 6" longer barrel. Plan is to order a few packages from skylighters and pick a bunch of range lead and make my own powder and shot. And wild flints. I am excite. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/4/21 5:46 p.m.

Blackpowder breeds a lot more patience behind the trigger as the process is so much more involved.  Super fun toys.  I need to get my 54 percussion out and take 84FSPJr out to make the range smokey.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/4/21 6:22 p.m.

Dean1484 jr. With the Garand today. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/4/21 6:26 p.m.

And no Garand thumb. laugh

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
12/4/21 6:36 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater5000 :

Wheel weights are also very good lead. You can use them straight, or cut them with some pure lead.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/4/21 6:47 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

The balls we shot today were cast from wheel weights. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/4/21 6:47 p.m.

Waterpipe lead is perfection if you can ly hands on it at the scrapyard.  Wheel weights are good as well.  

We bought an ingot mold and once a year would do an ingot casting session in the backyard on one of the turkey roaster propane stands.  It makes life so much easier to be working in bullet molds with nice clean lead in measured ingots.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/11/21 10:56 p.m.

So ummm ya a little off topic but my boom stick box is a bit to full and I need to expand. Any recommendations for something that can secure say more than 20 sticks ( looking ahead as I tend not to sell things). and a small collection of mini boom sticks? 

dean1484 said:

So ummm ya a little off topic but my boom stick box is a bit to full and I need to expand. Any recommendations for something that can secure say more than 20 sticks ( looking ahead as I tend not to sell things). and a small collection of mini boom sticks? 

When you have that maybe you should consider a secure gun room.  If you have the space.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
12/12/21 7:13 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The big first question is how many use scopes? Or are bolt actions? The number of sticks that fit in a box is very similar to the number of people that fit in a tent. The number seems to be based on leverguns and shotguns. What kind of budget are you thinking? Real safe? Stack-On cabinets? Taking over a guest room?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/12/21 8:45 p.m.

Anyone see some cheap 32acp? I've seen some with stupid shipping but nothing great

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
12/12/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I haven't seen anything that is cheaper than 9mm, so I am down to my last couple boxes, myself. If you find anything worth buying, please post, and I will do the same. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
12/12/21 9:46 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I have a Winchester (no relation) 26 stick box from Tractor Supply, it's very well made, fits behind a door. Less than 600 bucks, but you need several strong friends to move it in.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/13/21 7:14 a.m.
llysgennad said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I have a Winchester (no relation) 26 stick box from Tractor Supply, it's very well made, fits behind a door. Less than 600 bucks, but you need several strong friends to move it in.

I will look in to that.  

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/13/21 8:02 a.m.

I have found great deals at Academy on their fire safes.  I should have gone bigger but bought a 24stick setup.  For the short ones I used brake line thru a carpeted sheet of plywood resting on the shelf.  It let me easily run 10 short sticks and still have the shelf space as the sticks were elevated.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YmQxour7Nin4ylM8FD8vdlx09rp3ExdK8yDaHkEcvPlxKWyJZs73jaJeAnT0d5gC