Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/12/22 3:14 p.m.
jharry3 said:

Plus trying private sales over the internet is risky for lots of reasons.  

That's fair, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I think for any transfer (long gun or pistol) you can go through FFL dealers between states. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/12/22 9:07 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
jharry3 said:

That's fair, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I think for any transfer (long gun or pistol) you can go through FFL dealers between states. 

You can do this with just an FFL on the receiving end, if the FFL will accept from a non FFL (commonly done). There is no way to do interstate without an FFL, not even just transferring to family.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/13/22 8:46 a.m.
matthewmcl said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
jharry3 said:

You can do this with just an FFL on the receiving end, if the FFL will accept from a non FFL (commonly done). There is no way to do interstate without an FFL, not even just transferring to family.

I was going to say the same thing.

1.  Receive payment. Make sure it clears your account.

2.  Get verification that the FFL you are shipping to is licensed.  Have them send you a copy of there Licence.

3.  Then ship to the FFL.

You can get an FFL on you end to handle your end of the shipping if you want to make it even easier. Obviously there is a cost to it. But this makes it a FFL to FFL transfer that affords you the greatest protection if you are concerned about that. You would pay the costs for the FFL on your end and the purchasing person pays the FFL on there end.  It is my understanding the most FFLs in my area ship FedEx to each other. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/13/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

There really is no extra security with an extra FFL on the seller end. There is enough tracking and signatures on the shupment that there is no risk of the FFL on the other side claiming they did not get it. You are just paying somebody else to go to UPS or Fedex (some situations let USPS help) for you. You do have to go to the actual facility, though, rather than using a drop off (my experience in places I have lived).

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/13/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I agree completely just giving the option if they are not comfortable handling the shipping on there own.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/14/22 9:13 p.m.

New hotness is here. Cleaned all the shipping oil (that stuff is always dirty) and inspected for any machining fragments. Something I have always done is to clean, inspect and lube new firearms. This one was ok but in some you would not believe the trash you find in them. 

The sites are so good I am going to run it with out the red dot tomorrow. Also even with out the mag well attachment it fits my hand perfectly so I will also leave that off.  

Got 50 rounds of 124g to run for brake in (recommended by Canik on there other models). The manual for this one does not mention it but my FFL still recommended it.  After that I will drop back to 115 and see how we run.

I can already tell that I am going to love this trigger. Ballpark guess on my part is this is a 2-2.5 lb trigger. With the lower bore axis than the tp9 and the Rival this should be very fast. It really is race gun like while not looking like one  

Anyway I am excited for some range time with this tomorrow. I will report back after with a post range review. 

New Hotness.  The slide is copper/bronz not dark earth as it kind of looks in the photo.  I need to post another photo as it looks much better than this photo in person  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/15/22 1:45 p.m.

250 rounds later between my son and I and I am very pleased.  This is as good or better than advertised.   Not a single malfunction. 

I highly recommend this to anyone

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/16/22 8:25 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That is my test to see if a firearm stays or gets resold.  I don't keep firearms that malfunction.  I don't buy that "break in" stuff many tout.  Glad to see a solid report from someone I kind of know :). 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/17/22 1:24 p.m.

When I get to 1,000 I will report back as that is sort of my final test.   I was back at the range last night and was working on things.  I was low and right so I adjusted my pull and then realized I was closing my left eye.  "Fixed" that and it is now 3" groups at 10 yards all day long.  The pistol is better than I am at this point.  The red dot is going on before the weekend and we will see if this tightens things up.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/21/22 2:38 p.m.

1000 done and no issues at all. I put the mag well extender on it and this really helped me get a better grip on things as it locks my pinky in. (I have really big mits). I also got the adaptor plate for the Holosun in and mounted it. These two changes netted me huge increases in accuracy.  I was consistent at 3" groups at 15 yards. After the changes I am now 1-1.5 inch groups at 15 yards.   This is definitely a keeper. 

Obligatory photo of the completed project. Once again the slide and the end of the mag look like dark earth. I swear that it looks much better in person. Much more dark copper bronze with a bit of green/gold. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/23/22 12:24 a.m.

So remember me saying I ordered an IWI X95?  Well look what came in today. My FFL removed the flash hider and a good quality compensator was pined and welded on.  

I could babble on about this and probably bore most of you. I am going to get an optic of some sort but first I want to try the irons.

I will post up a 250 round review including my impressions of the compensator as it is a new brand to me recommended by the FFL. He ordered two of these special order. One was for me and the second was for him. The couple others that came in with the order have much more pedestrian compensators that according to him really don't do anything.  

Obligatory photo after I cut the foam in the new pelican case. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/23/22 8:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Nice!  That's 5.56, right?

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/23/22 9:51 a.m.

Interesting, I've never shot a bullpup for any real length of time. Are you going  to get a foregrip? In some other photos it looks like there is just enough of a shelf in front of the picatinny top rail to c-clamp grip.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/23/22 10:24 a.m.
dean1484 said:

1000 done and no issues at all. I put the mag well extender on it and this really helped me get a better grip on things as it locks my pinky in. (I have really big mits). I also got the adaptor plate for the Holosun in and mounted it. These two changes netted me huge increases in accuracy.  I was consistent at 3" groups at 15 yards. After the changes I am now 1-1.5 inch groups at 15 yards.   This is definitely a keeper. 

Obligatory photo of the completed project. Once again the slide and the end of the mag look like dark earth. I swear that it looks much better in person. Much more dark copper bronze with a bit of green/gold. 

As I've said previously, the Canik is a surprisingly good gat for the money.  I've had mine about two years, zero issues.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/23/22 1:04 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Interesting, I've never shot a bullpup for any real length of time. Are you going  to get a foregrip? In some other photos it looks like there is just enough of a shelf in front of the picatinny top rail to c-clamp grip.

If you took the cover off the bottom of the grip there is a rail under it you could put a grip on there.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that would be legal in my state. I would have to look into it.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/23/22 1:05 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Nice!  That's 5.56, right?

Yes it is.

And this means preban mags fit.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/23/22 1:11 p.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:

As I've said previously, the Canik is a surprisingly good gat for the money.  I've had mine about two years, zero issues.

I am kind of laughing at myself as I got this with the intent of not turning it into a race gun but dang it just works so well at being a race gun.  I shoot for accuracy and fun at the range so it really does not matter.  It is just funny.  It is like boost in a car.  You swear you will not turn it up but then the inevitable happens.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/23/22 3:20 p.m.

Hardware store up the block finally had some 00 and slugs. Grabbed a box of each. 

deals are returning on ammo too. It's not great prices, but I was able to get .47/rd pmc .223 and that was after tax and shipping. Ran across some locally for $.56. .22 is also in stock everywhere. 

In other news, anyone following along with the ATFs new 4999 form? I understand it isn't law yet, but I don't know the full process to become law. It may be enough to get me to pay the man for a stamp and build an SBR. A fellow wants one in 7.62 anyway. 

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/23/22 3:45 p.m.

In other news, anyone following along with the ATFs new 4999 form? I understand it isn't law yet, but I don't know the full process to become law. It may be enough to get me to pay the man for a stamp and build an SBR. A fellow wants one in 7.62 anyway. 

ATF 4999 High Score Challenge! - GAT Daily (Guns Ammo Tactical)

barefootcyborg5000
5/23/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

That's funny. By every reasonable interpretation, my little purple pistol is still legal, but the fact that manufactures have gone through the procedures and costs to have their products approved, and now the ATF is basically saying "oh sorry nevermind" is a pretty bad statement. Take the sba braces. They have a letter from ATF attached to every page of their site that says "we recognize that these devices do not constitute a shoulder stock" but such devices are specifically named on the new worksheet and automatically earn 3 points. 4 means you need a stamp. That's pretty bad faith. 
And some of it is simply absurd. I have folding iron sights, because I wanted iron sights and the folding options were the cheapest. But apparently those accrue 2/3 of total allowable points because "folding sights are for rifles"

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/23/22 4:47 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I do not like any appointed agency having the power to willy-nilly make millions of people felons overnight because they felt like it.

barefootcyborg5000
5/23/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Agreed. It's almost like if these rules had to be voted on they wouldn't be able to pass on merit. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/24/22 7:27 a.m.

I got a chance to get to the range for a fast minute last night and tried the X95. This is another keeper. It is extremely soft shooting. The compensator is excellent. There is no rise or walk. The iron sites are "ok".   I found it to be range limiting but it was getting towards dusk so it was also partially my old eyes.  

The X95 is better than the original Tavor. Not by leaps and bounds more like they touched every system and refined it. 

If you are looking for a rifle and have the budget this should be on your list.  The only drawback is weight.  It is about 7lbs so luging it's around hunting would be a consideration. But the flip side is it is compact so if you are in the brush it will not get hung up on stuff as much.   

The other thing is even though it is a bit heavy the bulk of ot is at the back and because it is a tad over 26 inches long over all so it shoots like a very light rifle.  It feels lighter than must AR type rifles just because of the weight distribution.  

The trigger on the other hand needs improvement. Not as bad as other bull pups but could be much better.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/30/22 4:29 p.m.

Went to the range today with my son and We put about 100 rounds total through the x95 and no issues at all.  We were using Winchester 5.56 (855) green tips. I also put a Hollosun on it and it makes it much better. It makes shooting with my astigmatism so much easier as opposed to using the irons. I need to work on the sighting a bit. I was stacking at 25 yards but when I went out to 100 I was consistently  high by about 4 MOA/inches. I was still stacking them but not where I wanted them. This is going to be a fun rifle to dial in. I have a feeling I am going to site it in at 100 and not worry about 25. 

As I mentioned previously if you are ok with the cost these are great rifles.   I may add a flip up magnifier to it so we will be pushing $2,700 or so when I am done. But I am a firm believer in by once cry once.  This thing is a great rifle.  

On a side note I am still on the lookout for a M1. But they have been thin on the ground for what I want. I am seeing either completely clapped out ones or top shelf ones. I want a mechanically sound one with a good to excellent barrel. I don't care about numbers matching or how beat up it is. As far as I am concerned the marring and what not is it's history.  I would preferably want one that has been degassed and test fired already.  Don't like them going boom out the wrong end. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/30/22 9:35 p.m.

Finally got out today with FIL to run both our most recent sticks. What I learned is I'm a better shot with accurate irons than he is with a bad scope. 
Also I shot my first ever "big boy" shot shells. The first was a federal blue box 3" 00 buck. It had some bite but not too bad. The other was a 2.75" 1.25oz magnum slug. One was enough. 
This is 1/4" cold steel:

That was at 20y. We were able to recover the slug still in one mangled piece. My review of the product in two words: It'll do. 
Those other holes are from .308. Also I learned .223 goes right through. Anyway. The other 4 shells will likely last my whole life. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRGmR0to3lAxtrc8jDesuxFsAZHcWbbhYUvgsTxb3zYOiEPqhA6wAmSxt4hynfOr