stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/9/22 2:31 p.m.

The mystery revolver is prolly a 38 Long Colt made by Llama, Astra or Star would be my guess.  Obsolete cartridge today--might be nice to clean it up and have a box of ammo stashed away just in case, but not going to be cheap to shoot otherwise.  That S&W might be worth restoring.  If you find out what model it is, please post it. 

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
10/9/22 2:56 p.m.

The Eibar region of Spain had many small-medium gunsmiths and mfgs making copies or semi-copies of 'foreign' guns.  The frame looks very much like "EIBAR 1924 SPANISH 32-20 REVOLVER" or "Eibar revolver dated as a 1925".

Links to semi-relevant  C&Rsenal vids

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/9/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

From the links you sent and the links you posted, it looks like you have me on the right path. 

I know my Pop (Grandpa) said his Big Momma (His grandmother) used to carry this one on her wherever she went. This was the holster she carried it in. 

My Pops is in his 80s so this had to be in the 30s.

Also I know my Pops dad had to flee north Carolina because he shot a sheriff in the ass in the 20s and the gun he used is still around somewhere. He thinks at his now deceased brother house. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/9/22 3:25 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I can't find any numbers or anything else unique on the S&W:

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/9/22 3:28 p.m.

Nvm, pics were posted.

Looks like an n frame , maybe a model  28? I'm not as up on s&w as I should be

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
10/9/22 9:03 p.m.
yupididit said:

From the links you sent and the lucidity you posted, it looks like you have me on the right path. 

I know my Pop (Grandpa) said his Big Momma (His grandmother) used to carry this one on her wherever she went. This was the holster she carried it in. 

My Pops is in his 80s so this had to be in the 30s.

Also I know my Pops dad had to flee north Carolina because he shot a sheriff in the ass in the 20s and the gun he used is still around somewhere. He thinks at his now deceased brother house. 

I bet your family has some amazing stories to tell. I hope they get written down and shared someday. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/9/22 9:45 p.m.

On the S & W revolver, open the cylinder, and look for a stamped model number on a surface exposed when you swing out the cylinder.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/10/22 9:57 a.m.

I picked up a P365xl with the specter comp slide. It was really cheep. The thinking of the shop I got it at is its replacement is out and it will go down in value.  The funny thing is the replacement is a step backwards (in my opinion). I took it to the range yesterday and it is a really good little pistol. My wife really likes it due to the smaller grip so it is most likely hers now. 

What I don't like about it is the mags.  Here in MA we are limited to ten rounds so we pin the mags.  In doing this these mags are almost impossible to put more than 8 rounds in it.  The spring in it is so strong getting any rounds in it is difficult!!!   I crammed the mags full last night and locked them in my amo safe.  I am going to leave them there for a couple days to see if they loosen up.  

Overall I like shooting this pistol.  Easy to handel.  Big enough for me to be comfortable even with my big mits and yet small enough so my wife likes it.  I think it is because the grip is a little longer than other pistols of this class so big hands can hang on to it but still narrow like the regular 365 so people with smaller hands can get a good purchas on it.  The almost 4 inch barrel keeps the flip in the recoil that pistols of this size have to a minimum.  It is much less than expected.  

Creepers I sound like a reviewer and I have not even got in to why I think the new version of it is a step backwards.  Especially for us here in MA.  

My 1973 sporter rifle got an optics up grade.  A 1-6 lpvo. I will be zeroing it sometime this week and see how I like it.  I have to go get a battery for it. 

obligatory photo. 

This build is now complete. It is a really fun 400-700 yard range rifle. It is way to heavy to do anything else. 

My next build I think is going to be based on another 1970s Sporter but with a mid length piston system from Brownell. These are supposed to be much cleaner and softer shooting than the DI system in the rifle above. The down side is it will probably be even more $$$ than the one above.  The upper with a decent barrel will be 2x the cost of the DI upper in the one above.  The one above is north of 4K all in to repeat that build.  But it is a one off built by me competition grad rifle that shoots 3/4 MOA groups all day long from the bench. When I put my bipod on it I think it may be closer to 1/2 MOA. That was my goal for the build.  It is like building a race car. What ever your starting budget is multiply by 3 and that is where you end up.  Lol. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/10/22 12:33 p.m.

Any opinions on angle for grips versus vertical for grips?  Believe it or not I have never tried an angle for grip. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/10/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I've heard some mix reviews about the 365xl spectre comp mostly because of price. How cheap did you get it? 

I have a couple 365 micro comps and a p250. I don't carry much anymore though. 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
10/11/22 9:27 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Any opinions on angle for grips versus vertical for grips?  Believe it or not I have never tried an angle for grip. 

Are you talking about something like this vs a vertical grip as shown above? 

I prefer an angled grip. Thumb over bore seems to be the more popular grip style now imo, and feels more natural to me. There's some noise about vertical grips being prone to more drastic movements in your aim because of the lever arm. If a gun has a vertical grip, I tend to grip like, more as a finger stop, or c clamp it.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
10/11/22 10:11 a.m.

On a S&W revolver the serial number is on the frame at the bottom of the grip. 

In the case above you need to remove the wooden grips to see the serial number.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/11/22 2:11 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I've heard some mix reviews about the 365xl spectre comp mostly because of price. How cheap did you get it? 

I have a couple 365 micro comps and a p250. I don't carry much anymore though. 

I got the XL with a specter comp slide.  The one cut so you can co witness a red dot to the irons if you want to.  Just under $500 with 3 mags and a holster.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/11/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

That is exactly how I hold the vertical grip on mine.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/11/22 2:18 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Can you send me a link to the XL with comp slide?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/22 2:39 p.m.

Thoughts on the sig 2022? They are relatively inexpensive and I like hammers. I would love a 229 but good god are they pricey

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/11/22 3:16 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Can you send me a link to the XL with comp slide?

I was wrong on the Spectr Comp. .. . My Bad.  It is the optics-ready slide (I don't know why I called it the specter comp).  Those are only on 3.1-inch barrel versions of the 365.  

The XL does not usually have the optic-ready slide that keeps the rear site.  All the ones I have seen for sale in MA you have to remove the rear site to put a micro-optic on it.  The really new ones may be different but I have not seen them on the shelves here in MA.  Rummer has it the P365 XL is going to be discontinued.  That was the real reason I got it.  I think it is better than the 365XL Macro.

The one I have I put together from parts (And then registered with the state on their registration portal).  As you know SIGs are like legos. You can mix and match parts together.  

Mine is a 365 XL lower with the fire control unit being the sterilized part.

Then it has this upper from Sig.

P365XL OPTIC READY SLIDE ASSEMBLY, BLACK

Found Here

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/20/22 8:35 a.m.

Back on topic

I have wanted a M1 Garand for a long time. They have become expensive. I should have got one years ago but oh well.  

I found a very good example 1943 that seems to be all corect. Price?  $1,800. I don't know the barrels measurements yet. If the barrel is in spec it is a current market priced for one of these. 

OR

I recently have shot a couple variants of the M1A. I really like it and it. I have not shopped these but they should be much cheeper.  

I would be happy with either. The Garand is getting thin on the ground and and I really think the opportunity to actually get one is drying up. But the M1A is so much more of a modern semi auto rifle.   I could also shoot it with out worry that I am waring it out. 

What say you all?    Cost aside what would you get.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/20/22 9:43 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Step 1: Go to Appleseedinfo.org and register for an event somewhere close by. $75 for a two-day, plus a few hundred rounds of .22LR and range fees. When they ask at the end of the weekend if you want the little piece of paper to send to the CMP, say, "Yes."

Step 2: Join a range.

Step 3: Go to TheCMP.org and select either a rack grade M1 for $700, or expert grade for $1150. Send them a copy of your little slip of paper and proof of membership at a range (copy of the little card they gave you, usually). Send them your money with the copies and your order. Unless you live in one of the handful of states that runs extra restrictions, the rifle will be mailed directly to you.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/20/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

While I love my Garand, if you're talking comparable money then I think I'd lean M1A.  Cheaper ammo plus box mags instead of en bloc clips goes a long way.  One of these days I'm going to take my Socom 16 out to the range.

So did we ever find out what model that S&W above was...?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/20/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

If you want to shoot your rifle and enjoy it without worrying if you're going to ding it up,  get an M1A/M14. I have one built on a Bula receiver, but the Springfield variants are fine. The M1A/M14 is also a better rifle with more options in my opinion. New parts are still available.

If you want to be a caretaker to a history piece and occasionally shoot it, get a Garand.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/20/22 2:48 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Step 1: Go to Appleseedinfo.org and register for an event somewhere close by. $75 for a two-day, plus a few hundred rounds of .22LR and range fees. When they ask at the end of the weekend if you want the little piece of paper to send to the CMP, say, "Yes."

Step 2: Join a range.

Step 3: Go to TheCMP.org and select either a rack grade M1 for $700, or expert grade for $1150. Send them a copy of your little slip of paper and proof of membership at a range (copy of the little card they gave you, usually). Send them your money with the copies and your order. Unless you live in one of the handful of states that runs extra restrictions, the rifle will be mailed directly to you.

I need to see if the club / range I belong to is CMP qualified.  If not I can see about joining an affiliate somewhere local.

My LTC qualifies me per their list of marksman qualifications.

The last time I checked they were entirely out of stock with no shipping date.  It looks from their site that they now have some stock.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/20/22 2:55 p.m.

I was initially leaning Garand but over the last 4-6 months I have been really thinking that a M1A is really where I should land.  It does not help that I have shot 3 different variants of the M1A over the last 3-4 weeks. I really like the history of the Garand but the M1A also has some history and is in many ways a better more refined Garand.  I think I know where this is going.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/20/22 3:12 p.m.

Y'all talking about cool old heirloom pistols and historical battle rifles. I'm just out here wanting to off my marlin 60 in favor of a lever gun. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/22 3:37 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I'll take that 60. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uQ00Pr3fX1PZYYAhRFTIuqyH7b79iNsQDdfOTWNXplX50eMLtVtZA2fN2VdUUTIM