5 6 7 8 9
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/2/20 10:01 p.m.

I have UTG folding BUIS (back up iron sights) inexpensive and have been tough and hold within an inch or two at 100 yds

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/2/20 10:03 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Good to know. Probably looking used though, because I'm cheap. 

Matthewmcl, I like slings. Best thing (only thing) I've done to my marlin. Not sure I understand how it'll help accuracy. Teacher, teach!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/2/20 10:06 p.m.
Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/2/20 10:07 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Finally had a chance to stop by the FFL during background check hours

Nothing to report though, since no rear sight. Any suggestions for a decently cheap rear iron sight? I don't want to afford a scope quite yet. 

I've been happy with this one, and doesn't require the whole handle on top so you could pair it with a red dot in a cowitness mount later on if you want. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100337730?pid=486921

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/2/20 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

UTG, time to do some homework. Thanks!

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/3/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Check out the Bushnell Dusk Till Dawn series of scopes - I have been really happy with them for many years.  Really nice scopes off Amazon in the 100 range.  I picked up a 6x18 by 50mm for my 10/22 (nearly as long as the rifle) that is fantastic for $169.

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
9/3/20 7:27 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Duke :

In my experience, anyone who can group 5/5 inside 5" @ 50 yards is good. Any better than that and I start suspecting a deal with the devil or some form of wizardry. 

I guess being able to do this with a revolver gets a person into Gandalf territory?   

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/3/20 7:32 a.m.

I have some once fired. 308 brass, mostly Hornady,  if you want it for reloading

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
9/3/20 8:00 a.m.

I went with the Magpul BUIS Pro on the rear of my 16.5in AR, it is metal vs. polymer being the significant difference. I've got the GI front sight and run a red dot with a 3X magnifier; quite honestly inside 200 yards, I am just as good with the irons which surprises me as typically I shoot better with some type of optic.

I'm planning on building a 20 inch AR sooner rather than later and will probably move this setup over to it and go to a carry handle on my 16.5in AR

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/3/20 1:29 p.m.

I replaced the front sight/gas block on the ARs that SWMBO and I assembled, with low profile gas blocks, and we each picked out full float hand guards we liked.  Honestly her's looks better than mine, I'm a little jealous.

I've got another AR with an Olympic Arms A2 upper, i.e. fixed carry handle.  It's personal preference, but the carry handle is my least favorite.

I've got some kind of optic on all of them.

The A2 carry handle upper has a Chinesium Aimpoint knock off with carry handle mount on it.

I've got a Nikon P-223 3-9x40 BDC scope on "mine."

SWMBO wanted iron sights at first, so originally I was using some cheap flip up rear sight, I'm not sure what it is, UTG, Green Blob, Ozark Arms, something like that.  As much as I like a lot of Magpul's mags and accessories, I never liked their polymer sights, and never wanted to pay for their metal "Pro" line.  Then she wanted some kind of a "red dot," I eventually put a NcStar P4 compact scope on it for her, I impulse bought it super cheap on Woot.com, it's pretty terrible.  It currently has a Primary Arms 2.5x Prism scope on it, that she seems to like.

UTG stuff is mostly cheap Chinesium, but it's usually at least useable, if not great, at least most of their hardware is, I don't have any experience with their scopes.  I've got a relatively expensive Leupold Deltapoint reflex sight on a UTG picatinny saddle mount on one of my 870s.  Only complaint is the anodizing on the UTG mount is pretty weak, easy to scratch.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/3/20 9:58 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Strizzo :

That looked like a good enough deal that I ordered it. And another pmag just because. Thanks!

Awesome!  I also have a bit of .308 brass that I'll likely never use since I decided to stick with federal and hornady brass. It's all lake city, some marked national match, about 30 pieces or so. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/4/20 6:39 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

UTG stuff is mostly cheap Chinesium, but it's usually at least useable, if not great, at least most of their hardware is, I don't have any experience with their scopes.  I've got a relatively expensive Leupold Deltapoint reflex sight on a UTG picatinny saddle mount on one of my 870s.  Only complaint is the anodizing on the UTG mount is pretty weak, easy to scratch.

UTG is one of the very few (only one I know of) Chinese companies that moved manufacturing to the US to cut costs.  They were running into quality control issues, so they moved in to the Detroit area to take advantage of shops and equipment that were being shut down when the auto makers were having such a hard time.  Overall cost of production was a little higher, but training times were down and quality was up.  They only moved AR specific stuff, at the time, but I hear they moved a lot, since.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/4/20 3:36 p.m.

I'm honestly shocked at the quality of my UTG flip up sights, considering the huge price difference between them and even the plastic Magpul sights.  I honestly felt like i could do anything I may want from an AR15 in 5.56 with those sights.  If I could do it again I think I would get the angled version so I could have them fixed for use without flipping them up or taking off my scope.  Co-witness doesnt work for me and as a far from "Operator" civilian, I wonder how anyone can use the reticle of a scope or anything but maybe a single dot reticle and iron sights in their line of sight at the same time

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

My irons co-witness through the cheapo red dot. It's nice because if/when the battery dies they're right there. Honestly, out to about 50 yards the red dot off and the front site will get you on target. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/4/20 3:58 p.m.

Never heard the term co-witness before this thread. What that is?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/20 4:00 p.m.

it means the optics and iron sights are in the same place basically. So if you have a red dot, your flip up iron sights will be where the dot is. Or that is how I understand it. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/5/20 1:27 a.m.

And on top of that, there are different types of co-witness. "Lower 1/3" means if you were to divide the scope in thirds, top to bottom, the crosshairs would be middle 1/3 and the iron sights would line up in the lower third.

On a rifle like yours I personally wouldnt do it, and go with a quick release scope mount and folding iron sights or angled mount irons so you can make full use of a long or multi range reticle.  You can change your front sight/gas block to a flat one if you decide you want it flat all the way to the muzzle 

Back to Vortex, they have a BDC reticle I really like.  Mine is for 5.56 but they have it for .308, and i can go from both eyes open, zero magnification for close quarters or zoom to 8x for 100 yards then choose the second dot down from the cross and ring a 16" gong at 300 yards without touching the scope.

9/5/20 9:45 a.m.
barefootskater said:

Matthewmcl, I like slings. Best thing (only thing) I've done to my marlin. Not sure I understand how it'll help accuracy. Teacher, teach!

The military kind of gave up teaching people to shoot with a sling, not because it does not help, but because they want soldiers to face incoming rounds because that is where the armor is (chest and back, but not a lot of side coverage).  Up until standard issue armor, training included shooting with a sling.  Modern "tactical" slings are mostly just for holding a rifle when you aren't.  The GI web sling was basically WW2 through Vietnam and is light, cheap, and easily adjustable.  If you look at old WW1 or anything WW2 still using WW1 style leather slings, you will see that the leather slings go back and forth, with many more layers than are required to just hold a rifle on the shoulder while marching.  GI web works on many guns, a leather sling has to be sized to match the rifle (like getting a belt to fit and not dangle, but more important). 

The purpose of the sling is to load your bones and not your muscles.  With a sling, you can get an anatomy skeleton to hold a rifle.  If you are holding the rifle with muscles, you will wobble more and get tired faster than if it is all bone and sling.  None of this, of course, explains how.  It is like trying to write a procedure to dance.  I can write it, you can follow it, but without seeing it you have no way to know whether you are doing it right.

The way I learned was through Appleseed (Appleseedinfo.org), which is a marksmanship foundational skills training program. I did it once and immediately realized I had to be more involved with that.  This is the organization that I am now an instructor through.  It looks like the closest shoots to you are in Vegas with the next shoot with open spots being in December. These are weekend long classes where you are basically drinking through a fire hose.  By the end of the weekend you will see significant improvement in your shooting if you have never had good foundations skills instruction before. Mostly you leave knowing what to practice. "Practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect." Classes are $75 for the weekend (range fees not included, so it looks like an extra $10 per day in Vegas). You get a T-Shirt, targets are provided, and the instructors are down in the dirt, next to you, giving feedback and instruction.  Range is 25m, so .22 works fine.  Centerfire is allowed, but with around 400 rounds in a weekend, .22 is cheaper and won't wear you out as much. You will still be worn out. You will learn shooting from standing (off-hand), kneeling, and prone.  "Testing" is done on targets designed around the old Army qualification targets.

I can also see about trying to find some videos made by somebody online; I am sure they exist.  I could even make a couple if I can't find any, but I can't do anything over a computer that can match what Appleseed will do because I can't walk up to you and tell you that your sling buckle is facing the wrong way or push your heel into the dirt or tell you to get your elbow up.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/10/20 8:10 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

I'm going to have to see if I can find the time for an Appleseed shoot in the spring. That sounds like it's very useful info/training for what I want to do. 

In other news, my rear sight arrived. Gonna attempt to go out at dawn and sight it in. Gotta do the dad thing right now and the sun is almost gone. 

9/10/20 10:36 p.m.

I think Vegas is closer to you than the northern Utah shoots, but if you come up here I'll put you up and join in on the fun.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/11/20 1:07 p.m.

I may have to take you up on that. Vegas is closer but I have family in SLC, Draper, Richfield so the logistics for traveling north are way better. 

9/11/20 5:54 p.m.

Is your Marlin tube fed or mag?  If tube fed, do you know the McDonald's straw hack?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/11/20 6:17 p.m.

Tube. And I've never heard of that. 

9/11/20 6:37 p.m.

Appleseed does some portions with a time limit.  Load 2 then 8 (following old M1 Garand protocols).  Example: transition from standing to sitting, load 2, engage target #1. Load 8, three more rounds in #1, adjust position, five shots in target #2.  Time is 55 seconds. Target is a reduced size silhouette sized to simulate 200 yards.

McD straws are a little larger diameter than most to work better with the shakes.  A McD straw is big enough to handle .22 LR, so you can use them like speed loaders for tube fed.  Just pull the rod all the way out and pour them in is the usual approach.  You may be able to pour them in the port with some practice.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/11/20 8:35 p.m.

I'm thinking I might need to sell some guns...

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cz0aM6yf0LGa5w5gEwpL6rGbYkDmURjs91KOjt7jY8YEZOfwvCAgnvs5Gdimknyc