Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
7/8/19 7:27 p.m.

CL dude advertised it as a cabellas 250 atv " ran but carb needs work" and "everything works, just needs a battery and carb work"  yeah yeah yeah, I know.

Meet the guy, atv looks OK, plastic is good, not beat up, etc  Pay too much for it and take it home.

I took the carb apart found it had old gas sitting in it at one point (green all over) - but not horribly gummed up.   Was able to get it to fire and die and some it did some partial idling (10 seconds or so) before dying again.  No worries, I can work with that.  BUT - when it did run there was a huge banging inside the engine.  Like a loose wrench.

Drained the oil and 2 gear teeth fell out.  Well poop.  Not sure what they are from - I'm thinking either something on the timing chain or output shaft?  It has a centrifugal clutch and it was (I think) in neutral.

Before I dive into it, I wonder if I should just part it out.

ATV is not a "cabellas"  atv, but a Baja / Loncin wilderness 250 (2006).  2wd with a 5 speed trans / shaft drive.  It has reverse but the handle is broken off.  So, 13 year old chinese atv.  I think these were clones of a yamaha big bear 250.  But parts seem to be hard to come by.  I did track down a service manual but not sure putting any work into this will be worth it.

What the going rate for atv parts?  Fix it or part it?

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
7/8/19 7:52 p.m.

Re-power it with a gixr?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/8/19 7:55 p.m.
bentwrench said:

Re-power it with a gixr?

This is best plan. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 7:57 p.m.

Vmc parts or vmc Chinese parts. Don't remember the exact website, but search for that.

Found a ton of stuff for my 15 year old Chinese puzzle quad. I really should finish putting that together

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/19 8:02 p.m.

Predator swap?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/8/19 8:27 p.m.

I have a friend who bought two for his kids. They were $199.00 CDN each.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest New Reader
7/8/19 8:57 p.m.

Whats the motor look like? Honda singles seem to be the chinese knockoff motor of choice. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 11:24 p.m.

I didn't realize there was a coupon, predator swap it. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/9/19 10:07 a.m.

The shaft drive system seems to bugger up most quick engine swap ideas. Ideally you'd throw a HF Predator engine in it with a torque converter and ditch reverse. Got any photos of the rear axle setup or the engine mount?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
7/9/19 10:15 a.m.

I bet it could be Hammer Motor swapped in a few hours with ease. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/9/19 11:45 a.m.

Is it GY6, the chinese Honda clone that is really easy to find parts or whole

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 12:17 p.m.

GY6 parts are extremely common. I'll bet you can fix the problem, cheap.

TJL
TJL Reader
7/9/19 12:25 p.m.

How much did you pay for it? 

Years ago there was a shop near my parents that popped up selling these chinese cheap toys. First christmas, super busy. 2nd christmas, not as packed, no 3rd christmas cause they had so many break and get returned they closed up. 

They can be good machines, just going to take some fixing. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/9/19 1:27 p.m.

These are often sold broken, because they’re just not worth it to fix them. 

What are your plans for it?

Id honestly probably try to recoup and much as you can on it and buy a Honda 250/300ex.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/19 2:30 p.m.

When my kids were much younger, a friend sold me a Chinese clone of a Honda 50cc dirt bike.  Cheap.  It was mostly there, and ran okay.  I cleaned it up and put a brake rod on it.  Had it a few years.  The kids never took to it.  I sold it for a bit more than what I had in it.

If you know what it's a clone of, you might find that parts for that bike will fit it.  Doubt that works for engine internals though. 

Try ebay, they sell parts for everything. frown

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/19 2:31 p.m.
Saron81 said:

These are often sold broken, because they’re just not worth it to fix them.

They're often sold broken because most people don't have a clue as to how to fix them, or where to buy parts.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/9/19 3:08 p.m.
Mndsm said:
bentwrench said:

Re-power it with a gixr?

This is best plan. 

Is it?

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
7/9/19 8:05 p.m.

Sorry for the late reply - this work thing sucks.

I think its a honda clone engine, but I am no expert.  I see there is a screen on the the oil drain and a cleanable oil filter screen on the right side.  Carb is a CV Japanese TK(?) but I cant find the PN on the google.  Im not sure a motor swap would be easy or worth it unless I could find an easy button.  I am in no mood to fab up anything (I got 2 race cars to service and 2 street cars to fix and sell)

Here are some pics of the engine - from cl add.

The Recoil starter (pull handle thing) is all buggered up, the coil spring is broken / doesnt retract.  I attempted to pull the right side cover and it seems stuck (but I only took off the bolts I could see, there may be others).  

A little google work shows that there was some problems with the reverse gear setup (and there is a revised shaft or something), so maybe its that.

I'd like to hang onto it you know, for the children.  I also would like to use it at the race track & utility use around the house.

Id would be nice to tear it all down and sell it bit by bit (death of 1000 cuts) but I think it would have a limited market (13 yo cheap chinese atv probably does not have much demand)

thanks all.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest New Reader
7/9/19 8:07 p.m.

http://dratv.com/ is a good place for parts and info on Honda and Honda derived small engine swap bits 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/9/19 8:56 p.m.

Anytime an ad has pictures of something all wet is a bad omen

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/9/19 8:57 p.m.

pictures of something all wet in an ad is a bad omen

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/10/19 11:58 a.m.
Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
7/10/19 7:10 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Just ebay a new engine and be done with it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-stroke-Vertical-ATVs-Engine-Motor-with-Manual-Transmission-w-Reverse-200-250cc-/183842140286

dang!  I wonder how the shaft drive would work on this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bge22qfpH4Uwwy5M7u1qBlmAHZatXqnjA23z1S9HHqINSq3v0blwOmJER6F2Gd8T