1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/9/14 8:02 a.m.

How many people still carry a briefcase? I saw a guy with one this morning, and it stuck out like a brick phone or members-only jacket to me. I think most people went to a backpack or other type of computer case years ago. Do lawyers (or whoever uses briefs) still carry these things?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/9/14 8:04 a.m.

Computer sleeved backpack here.

Small Attache' in formal meetings

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/9/14 8:06 a.m.

Nope, not me. I have a backpack for my laptop or use a messenger bag. Never owned a briefcase.

kylini
kylini Reader
4/9/14 8:29 a.m.

No computer: I use a folio-thingy.

Computer: I use a Brenthaven ProLite of some kind (before they started looking unprofessional).

Even in science, backpacks look dorky as hell. People still use them (and 2-wheel dollies...ugh).

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
4/9/14 8:37 a.m.

Yes. Pelican 1490.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/9/14 8:40 a.m.

A backpack for the tablet, cameras, medicine, and accessories. A soft case for the computer. The backpack is always with me. Computer, not so much.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/9/14 8:41 a.m.

I carry this daily:

For "classier" occasions like meetings/interviews, I have a nice leather attache folder with my name embossed in it that I got as a graduation gift many years ago. Similar to this:

I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a briefcase if I had one.

• Lee
Duke
Duke UltimaDork
4/9/14 8:41 a.m.

I have a folio-satchel thing that is basically a soft side briefcase. I use it with a shoulder strap when I carry it, but mostly it just stays under my desk.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/9/14 8:47 a.m.

I still have one, and still carry it some times. Oddly, it has to do with security and privacy. Several of the companies I deal with will go through a backpack & purse and the like, but briefcases are considered off limits. The reason generally given is because of the likelyhood of them containing confidential materials.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/9/14 8:49 a.m.

Nope, no need fortunately. I just bring a grocery sack with my breakfast and lunch in it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/9/14 8:56 a.m.

Man up and get a Murse

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
4/9/14 8:58 a.m.

I carry a military surplus bag for my tablet, keyboard, and any other small items I happen to be needing. It is just big enough for a legal pad, or anything else of a standard 8.5x11.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/9/14 9:08 a.m.

Laptop pack for me..I've had this for 8 years or so. Fits in my motorcycles hardcases perfectly.

Adrian_Thompson
4/9/14 9:14 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: I carry this daily:

I like that, but I can't read the label. Who is it made by?

Adrian_Thompson
4/9/14 9:20 a.m.

My 'Pure bag' Swiss hemp 'murse'

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/9/14 10:05 a.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/9/14 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

The brand is Rapid Dominance. I'm a little ticked, it wasn't Prime eligible when I bought it, and spent $12 on shipping. I couldn't find anything else that I liked as well for less money.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4FEKEY/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it since the end of January, I got a new work laptop that was a little too big for my old bag, and the bag that came with my laptop is hideous, huge, and 100% swishy Nylon.

My new bag is pretty floppy, but can fit two 15.6" laptops with a little room to spare. I bought some 1/16" ABS sheets, and some craft foam, SWMBO is going to make a liner with dividers that will add some structure to the bag and protection for it's contents, if I ever pick out the fabric I want.

• Lee
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
4/9/14 10:46 a.m.

My "murse" off ebay for a year now, in the green. Carries what I need. Not bad for $20 or so. That said, at some point I want to find one in a similar style but of a better quality.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/9/14 10:52 a.m.

I have the one seen below. It was provided by work, and I use it more or less only for business travel or travel between buildings here--really, it is just a bag for my laptop, charger, and mouse. If I used it more than 2-3 times a month, I'd probably have them get me the backpack instead. As it is, I think this one looks more professional.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/9/14 12:34 p.m.

I don't even know of any attorneys who still use a briefcase. Since I'm a gubment attorney, I've always had way more files than will fit in a briefcase anyways. On "big" court days, I usually use the ever classy copy paper box.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
4/9/14 12:41 p.m.

This is what I carry. I do have a nice leather pad folder form more formal occasions.

It has all the necessities to live out of it for 3-4 days. Food, water and water filter, clothes, medications, first aid, etc.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/9/14 1:08 p.m.

I have one of these, made by Victorinox:

I like the way it can be expanded, then brought back to a smaller size. It also has enough room for my small HP printer, all my cables etc. I rarely use it any more, though, typically only for weekend trips.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
4/9/14 1:08 p.m.

Here's mine:

It's a custom Timbuk2 I bought after using an off-the-shelf one for years and loving it. It comes with me to school every day, to events all over the country, plays camera bag, goes on the boat, rides on the motorcycle, basically everywhere I go. I've had it 2 years and found it to be basically indestructible, just like my last Timbuk2.

I used a Maxpedition Falcon II for a while, but it was too big and bulky and weird for me. Tacticool isn't really my thing anymore.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/9/14 1:11 p.m.

I have one of these but I haven't carried it in years.

I put my laptop in a small backpack now.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
4/9/14 1:16 p.m.

Some people are posting satchels, which is fine (modern day briefcase IMO). Some people are posting murses... not that there is anything wrong with that... :p

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IcarJQUHV0McVsqGBzLDTYYnUzwgqWYgSXcbBxHUnmXnlj1ERl8vRByEyV09wTK