1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/9/14 1:29 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Some people are posting satchels, which is fine (modern day briefcase IMO). Some people are posting murses... not that there is anything wrong with that... :p

I was thinking the same thing

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
4/9/14 1:33 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/9/14 1:46 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:

I have one of those in black leather, it's been around the world with me over the last 35 years. If I need to carry any more than it will hold to a meeting, I use a cardboard box.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/9/14 2:13 p.m.

Ogio Brand
Hip Hop Model
Gotten years ago for free with a corp logo on it; black.
I have used it for years now. It stuffs well under an airplane seat which I have done numerous times.
I no longer have to travel by plane but this bag with netbook inside goes in the car with me every day for work.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/9/14 7:23 p.m.

I have a backpack and a soft-side laptop bag with a shoulder strap - I toggle back and forth between the two depending upon variables such as duration of trip, air or car, suit and tie or blazer and loafers.

I would absolutely rock a Zero Halliburton however.

codrus
codrus HalfDork
4/9/14 7:43 p.m.

If you're wearing a suit, you pretty much need a bag with a handle. Hard-sided traditional briefcase or modern satchel both work.

Fortunately, I don't wear a suit to work (I'm a software engineer -- "formal" means I'm actually wearing shoes rather than sandals), so I use a backpack to carry my laptop. :)

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/9/14 7:53 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I carry a military surplus bag for my tablet, keyboard, and any other small items I happen to be needing. It is just big enough for a legal pad, or anything else of a standard 8.5x11.

I like this.. a lot

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
12/9/20 1:38 p.m.

I used a briefcase when interviewing for my current job 16 years ago.

Years later after forming a good relationship with my boss, he mentioned how old fashioned he thought I looked showing up with it.

Yah, no, I wouldn't be caught dead with one now unless arcane relic is the specific look I'm going for.   

j_tso
j_tso Reader
12/9/20 2:16 p.m.

My dad used to carry one like this in the 70s and 80s with his initials on the latches.  Then his work computer became a laptop which in the 1990s was too thick for it.

It'd be perfect for today's more rugged, thinner laptops. I don't like how papers get crumpled in messenger bags.

I like the Mission: Impossible vibe.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/9/20 4:53 p.m.
j_tso said:

My dad used to carry one like this in the 70s and 80s with his initials on the latches.  Then his work computer became a laptop which in the 1990s was too thick for it.

It'd be perfect for today's more rugged, thinner laptops. I don't like how papers get crumpled in messenger bags.

I like the Mission: Impossible vibe.

I carry a very similar briefcase.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/9/20 5:56 p.m.

So was there a canoe in there someplace, or did a six year old discussion on briefcases just get pulled up from the dead?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
12/9/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yes. Canoe brought it back from the dead.

And yes, I must be getting old and obsolete, because this is a picture of my actual briefcase that I carry to and from work daily and on the occasional customer visit:

It's been in service for many years, and I've actually been thinking it's time to replace it soon.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/20 8:34 p.m.

Is that Canoe peddling briefcases filled with trains? Because I'd be interested in that. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
12/9/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I want one. Then I saw the price. I read designer Paul Smith carries one to business meetings.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/9/20 8:52 p.m.

I used to carry my laptop in a soft bag each day, but Thanks to the pandemic I haven't set foot in my office for 9 months. Briefcase is now the domain of a man trying to send a message -- "I'm clueless" or "this is my fashion accessory" depending entirely on the man.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/9/20 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That seems like something I should carry

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Rokuhan is about as cheap as Z gets. This is about 70ish. Would totally fit into s briefcase.

Plaza Japan

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/9/20 10:47 p.m.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the timeless style of a Lisa Frank trapper keeper. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/10/20 8:00 a.m.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but how could you take yourself seriously with a "messenger bag" handcuffed to your wrist?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/10/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I used to have a Z-scale layout in about a 2'x2' glass topped case, but there was 4"-6" of scenery around the outer edges of the track. It could definitely have fit in a briefcase with a bit less track, or a crossover to make inner & outer loops like that one. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZkENp680VC4pxyyHGRM2SpxIjezlv6qvASrR2mcIHV96pgTfk04MZKGMcH5DXTgy