1 2
N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 8:04 a.m.

So I was driving home last night and ahead of me is what appears to be a learjet landing. Was it a learjet? No. It was the tail end of a Bentley Continental. Why in God's name does the center LED light below the license plate need to be rated to equate the lumens of Satan's hellfire?

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
1/28/14 8:05 a.m.

Someone forgot to turn off the rear fog light?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
1/28/14 8:15 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Its a Bentley. It should do that for you.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/28/14 9:01 a.m.

I love the rear fog light on my disco.. and yes, it only comes on in fog, heavy rain, and snow.. usually the same time I -might- use the front fog lights

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/28/14 9:07 a.m.

I was bored, driving in my Volvo at night on a long trip with no radio once, and found the fog light switch. I kept hitting the switch, turning it on - then off. On - then off. I was looking ahead to see whether it made any difference to the illumination on the road, wondering if the fog lights even worked. That's when I saw the car that had until recently been really close behind me was a good quarter mile back. So it suddenly dawned on me - rear mounted fog light. And yes, it works.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 9:27 a.m.

That explains a lot. Thanks. I also looked it up. I could have my very own Bentley rear fog light for $200.

I can see the use in bad weather.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/28/14 9:30 a.m.

People around here have no idea how to use fog lights. They leave them on all the time, especially the brodozers and white trash specials*. I can only imagine a car with a rear fog. People would probably die.

  • late 90s pontiac grand am/grand prix or olds alero that every girl with 4 kids and a neck tattoo drives.
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/28/14 9:56 a.m.

I see Audis and Jags with the rear fogs on all the time.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
1/28/14 10:35 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I see Audis and Jags with the rear fogs on all the time.

Of course you do. No one EVER turns off their fogs anymore. Not even in rain or snow where they are perfect for blinding oncoming traffic.

Its an epidemic.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/28/14 11:45 a.m.

Olds Aroura was the only US car to offer rear fog. Most are on wrongly. I wish they were never offered.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/28/14 11:45 a.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: No one EVER turns off their fogs anymore. Not even in rain or snow where they are perfect for blinding oncoming traffic.

not that rain and snow aren't the times you should be using just the fog lights or anything. Last snowfall we had, I drove home on just the parking lights and fogs..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/28/14 11:52 a.m.

FYI, if you see a newer Dodge Ram running around with the fogs on, it's because the stock headlights are basically worthless on low beam. You can see a whole lot better in all weather with the fogs on.

bluej
bluej Dork
1/28/14 12:04 p.m.

Have we discussed using a rear fog or brighter lamp as a tailgate deterrent? Seems it could work well.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 12:05 p.m.

My tailgate deterrent is 4th gear.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/28/14 12:07 p.m.

Volvo owners have always bee the biggest rear fog light offenders.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
1/28/14 12:16 p.m.

My 2010 Transit Connect came with the rear fogs but no front fog lights. Like dculberson I kept pulling out the switch. It was a sort of automatic action since my Focus has the front fogs and I always use them. Then one evening the wife asked me why I had two tail lights on each side!!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/28/14 12:39 p.m.

Along with the side indicator lights, this used to be one of the easiest ways spot a gray market car in the 80's.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/28/14 7:17 p.m.

In semi-fairness, the rear fogs do not always have a separate switch. In fact, most I have seen come on with the regular fogs. I agree, they are annoying as berk, though.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
1/28/14 8:05 p.m.
Hal wrote: My 2010 Transit Connect came with the rear fogs but no front fog lights. Like dculberson I kept pulling out the switch. It was a sort of automatic action since my Focus has the front fogs and I always use them. Then one evening the wife asked me why I had two tail lights on each side!!

I drive a transit for work and never knew wtf happened when you pulled out the hl switch since no front fogs!!! Now I know thank you sir

cliff95
cliff95 New Reader
1/28/14 10:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: FYI, if you see a newer Dodge Ram running around with the fogs on, it's because the stock headlights are basically worthless on low beam. You can see a whole lot better in all weather with the fogs on.

Maybe if they headlights weren't five feet off the ground they would be useful, it's a shame the monster truck design ethos has finally caught up with them.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/29/14 4:42 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: People around here have no idea how to use fog lights. They leave them on all the time, especially the brodozers and white trash specials*. I can only imagine a car with a rear fog. People would probably die. * late 90s pontiac grand am/grand prix or olds alero that every girl with 4 kids and a neck tattoo drives.

luckily i drive an 01 Grand Prix, so your rage isn't aimed at me. i use the front fogs instead of high beams because they work better in most circumstances... i really do need to get some new headlights that aren't permanently frosted over from the inside due to water penetration..

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/29/14 8:36 a.m.
Duke wrote: In semi-fairness, the rear fogs do not always have a separate switch. In fact, most I have seen come on with the regular fogs. I agree, they are annoying as berk, though.

I could be wrong, but I think that's false. The European standards state that the rear fogs must either be on a different switch than the front fogs, or have a unique position/detent and they must have an indicator that is unique from a front fog light indicator. Americans are just oblivious to it.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/29/14 9:14 a.m.

Hrm, that could be the case nowadays, but I don't know. I can't imagine someone turning ON the rear fog switch if they didn't know what it did, and especially not if it had a pilot light on the dash.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/29/14 9:17 a.m.

I actually need to get off my ass and add one of these to the MX6.

The factory rear lighting on these things is borderline dangerous.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/29/14 9:22 a.m.

Man. I'm glad the most complicated switch on my ranger is the blinker.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
kwwY6Y6G16cbbgfpi9ieaFpO7Wv6rFGKL6bxGSImLdOvfXRCkN2YgaEkrmSM35bk