1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/22 10:19 a.m.

In my Prius thread started more than 5 years ago, I have detailed my ownership of seven Gen2 Prius.  Some I've kept, some I've sold.  I've written a somewhat Gen2 Prius buyers guide and I've helped multiple GRM'ers buy Gen2 Prius.  In a recent GRM post, an unsolicited idea was offered by GRM'er DXMan that coincided with an idea that I've had for a while now.  His statement was:

You should come up with a catchy business name such as Uncle John's Prius Emporium.

So, I turn to y'all for some help in this idea...  What I want to do is print some business cards that I can leave on the windshield of local Gen2s that I see around.  I will also add some vinyl to the rear window of my Prius.  My goals are:

• help some Prius owners and put some of this Prius knowledge to good use
  • do some minor repairs for a profit.
  • have access to broken Prius before the scrappers do.   

I live is a generally small town an hour away, each direction, from 2 large towns.  Other than the one Toyota dealership here in a 30 mile radius  I don't know of any Prius specialty shops in the area.  So, I think there is a niche to capitalize on.  This is not intended to be a "get rich" plan (yet) but rather this is just intended to be a path to some side money.  

I think I want the name to be be somewhat "folksy" or at least have the impression that contacting me will not result in a giant repair bill. 

Sample: failed dashboard lights  (speedo and all) is a common Gen2 problem.  The dealership wants thousands for this repair.  I now know and have done the repair for less than $1 soldering onto the LED board.  It takes less than 5 hours.  $500 for that job would be a killer deal for people vs the dealership $2k.  Another common failure is broken Cruise Control and steering wheel buttons.  This is a $15 aftermarket clock spring and less than an hours time.   Getting that done for $300 is cheaper than what the dealership charges for just the part.  There are other simple things too.  

So, step one of this process is what should the name be?  

Uncle John's Prius Emporium is good but probably too long for people to remember.  

Prius Johnny is one that came to mind for short and folksy.  No one calls me Johnny but I'd be okay with it.  

Prius Farm is another I'm toying with but... I have no farm but rather live on a golf course.  I should also note that the current golf course dwelling is not a good place to start a "part-out" operation.  My goal is for complete cars and my goal is more to put them back on the road even if that means selling them still broken.  

Prius Clinic is another I like.  Dr. Prius is an app so that is taken but clinic seems good for implying "not major surgery" but good for a check up.  But, will this keep the cheaply bought non-runners away from me?  

What are your thoughts on name ideas?

I also have no graphics skills so I will additionally need some help with business card design too.  I have found this link to a Prius Font but I confess, I have no idea how to use it.  I envision the business name in that font on the business card.  Also I envision two additional possible tags on the card.  
Fix-Buy-Sell
Keep your Prius on the road, cheap.  

One thing I like about Prius Clinic is I might also add the tag "we make house calls."  This could be me visiting with my tow dolly too and might result in purchase of no-runners.  Or, since I do not have a shop for them to come to, I could do things like diagnosis or clock spring swaps right in their driveway.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/6/22 10:22 a.m.

Prius Envy lots of options for a logo laugh

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
7/6/22 10:44 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/22 10:47 a.m.
aircooled said:

Prius Envy lots of options for a logo laugh

Needs the 4Runner water pump gasket.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/22 10:47 a.m.

Ah, a different take on Prius Farm.  I like it.  Im sure the website/email PP is taken but PriusPharm is likely available!  

Grassroots Prius comes to mind also.  GRP.   Will this get me a cease and desist order?  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/6/22 11:09 a.m.

I like Uncle John's but saying it out loud makes me feel dirty.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/6/22 11:27 a.m.

I was going to suggest "The Prius Practitioner", but I think "Grassroots Prius Repair" better conveys the message you're looking for.  I think "grassroots" sounds more affordable than anything doctor/medical related.

I also think we need to start calling you prius Johnny...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/6/22 11:31 a.m.

Prius rescue 

right now you seem to be having fun playing with Prius problems , 

but turning it into "work" might take the fun away ?

are you more interested in just buying dead ones to fix and resell ?  And if so should you be aiming at the best way to  get the dead ones ?

Decades ago we would get the newspapers "hot" off the press to chase dead VW bugs with bad engines or light damage , worked well because we did not have customers waiting for their cars so they could go to work the next day , 

enough rambling ,  just try and keep it fun ..... good luck

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
7/6/22 11:33 a.m.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
7/6/22 11:40 a.m.

Great idea, wish there was something like that in Pittsburgh for my son.  You need to figure out how to remote connect to the OBD port so you can do quick diagnostics and reset.  

Some name ideas

PriusPhreak

PriusPhix

And you need to write a book, Keeping your Prius alive, a guide for the complete idiot

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/6/22 12:00 p.m.

The Prius Whisperer

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/22 12:50 p.m.

All good chatter so far.  Keep it coming!

To Evan, is there a "Toyota font" that could be used for the words that are not Prius font?  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
7/6/22 1:04 p.m.

Omniprius

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/22 1:10 p.m.

Here is some further idea that is not quite honed yet.  

To Mr. CalGiha, yes there is a real difference between hobby and job.  I'll agree, I'm not a mechanic and I really don't want to be one.  But, this incomplete idea is an attempt to turn this more into passive income and a marketing effort (which I am better suited for.)  

I used to have a spectacular working relation with a dedicated shop for my fleet but mechanic #1 quit and now works for a municipality with steady wages and gov't benefits.  When that happened, the #2 mechanic retired rather than work w/o #1.  This left mechanic #3 who was really only qualified to do work where #1 was supervising him.  Net result.  I don't go there and I need to forge a new relationship.  A 20-something friend of the family recently recommended a guy he knows, (likely also 20-something) who is turning wrenches in a rented pole barn (not quite airplane hanger) at a local grass runway airstrip.  This is just 3 miles from my house.  

In this incomplete idea, I envision either I sub the work out to him or take a percentage cut for the customer lead, etc.  As stated, not worked through.  I have also never spoke to this guy.  I have another distant friend (a parent with kid same age as mine, so, the kids are more friends) who is a service writer for a well known, full service shop locally.  But, I like the young, single operator idea better.  

As an example, front wheel bearings are a known problem on Gen2s.  Its a 2.5 hour book job.  Around here, rust make the job a PIA.  The part is $100 for Timkin and $35 for Chinese.  Following the common practice of doubling parts that is a $200 good part or a $80 good-enough part.  Then, 2.5 hours at $100 = $250.  This is then a $450 - $330 job.  If I could capture 15% that's $49.50 to $67.50 to me in somewhat passive income.  

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
7/6/22 1:28 p.m.
John Welsh said:

All good chatter so far.  Keep it coming!

To Evan, is there a "Toyota font" that could be used for the words that are not Prius font?  

Looks like Toyota has their own font, closest match is Avenir but I don't have that one. Another site said that Helvetica bold is close to the font in the toyota logo so I mocked one up with that. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
7/6/22 4:09 p.m.

I like Prius Pharmacy like stated above. Best of luck in your adventure!

BBC

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/6/22 4:18 p.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps said:

I like Prius Pharmacy like stated above. Best of luck in your adventure!

BBC

IMO, Prius Pharmacy makes it sound like you're selling products, not a service. My vote is for the most simple thing: Prius Clinic. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/6/22 4:30 p.m.

Dr Prius

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/6/22 4:35 p.m.

The Prius font is hard to read with all that text.  I'd put it on 3 lines, with "Prius" on the middle line, and "Grassroots" and "Repair" in a different font. 

Id also get rid of at least 1 line of text. Maybe 2. It's too busy for a business card. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
7/6/22 4:41 p.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/6/22 4:49 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I like that better. 

This is a terrible edit, but I do think less is more. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
7/6/22 4:50 p.m.

What are multiple Prius called? Priusses? Priuii?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
7/6/22 5:01 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

What are multiple Prius called? Priusses? Priuii?

Platypuses  is the plural of Platypus.....just sayin......

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/6/22 5:12 p.m.

Prius Monger

The world needs people to monger things other than fish, cheese, and war. I think you could effectively monger Priuses.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
7/6/22 5:17 p.m.

Thanks, I was thinking of plural of Octopus, so it could be either Priusi or Priuses. smiley

Merriam Webster: The Many Plurals of 'Octopus'

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZubnKqNP7dPIvm9xQSKXh4C3RXfEBUzquExpr42GaUOSJfRxDcNJVgCEDFnxEVdO