trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/3/16 4:16 p.m.

How does that process work with purchasing a race car and getting across the border? I was hoping the owner would tow it across the border but I am not sure if he is willing.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/3/16 5:29 p.m.

If the owner does that an then returns without it, customs are going to ask questions.

when we ere racing modifieds across the border we even had to bring the worn tires back.

They let up after awhile.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/3/16 6:28 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Actually, nah.

Not specific to a race car, but the second (most recent) car I bought from Canada the previous owner was gracious enough to drive it to my place for me so I could avoid having to get temporary Canadian plates - and paying Canuck taxes on the sale.
Then I drove him back up to the great white north.

YMMV as both of us had Nexus passes for easier border crossing, but as long as you're up front with the border agents they don't - in my experience - cause any trouble.

If the vehicle in question isn't street legal and he's not willing to trailer it for you I think your best bet is to bring a trailer of your own.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
12/3/16 7:26 p.m.

Do not drive it across without clearing customs. My brother convinced a boat owner to try that trick. $10,000.00 in fines. Absolutely not worth it. Just because some people get away with it does not make it a good idea.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/3/16 10:59 p.m.

The usual two questions apply - how old is the car, and is it a converted street car or a purpose-built car?

If it's less than 25 years old you might be able to import it under the race car exemption if you can convince NHTSA that it's never ever ever going to be converted back into a street car. Obviously that's less of an issue if it's a purpose built race car.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/4/16 8:39 a.m.

It's a chumpcar and it is race ready so it won't be a street car and it's 20 years old.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/4/16 11:14 a.m.

That would suggest that if the car doesn't meet US specs as it was originally, you should still be able to get it in under the race car exemption. Of course the big question is if it's worth it either way, with the additional hassle.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/4/16 11:20 a.m.

Check with customs to find out which way would work the best.

A couple times that I went to Canada with my track day car on a trailer. Both were fully registered.

They were more interested in the car and the trailer, never asked about the tow vehicle.

They checked the registrations on their computer. US side, Canada just asked where I was going and for how long.

davbro
davbro Reader
12/8/22 12:34 a.m.

Hello guys.  Any new thoughts on this topic?

I am looking to buy a 27 year old racecar from Canada (wow it just hit me how old this car is!).  it was a production based car but i don't think it was ever titled. Does anyone have any recent experience similar to this or who knows the process?  my plan was to drive up with a trailer and bring it back.  there is also tons of spares...engine, trans, body panels wheels etc

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/8/22 7:58 a.m.

On two separate occasions I purchased a Crossle formula ford and Barras sports racer years ago from Canada. It's different than your situation as both are true race cars which could never be titled or registered for use on the street here in the US. As obvious as that might be to 99.99% of the population, I was still stopped at Customs and asked many question, numerous times and in slightly different ways. They were trying to catch me telling an untruth, but the answer was quite simple, they are race cars. Other than some Duty $$$, it was quite easy.

Now we have raced in Canada and bringing cars back and forth across the border can be a real pain depending on who is sitting in the booth at the crossing that particular day. You better have all of your documents in order or it makes for a long and aggravating ordeal. Being honest and upfront about your trip is best. If the car isn't 20 or 25 years old(another sure of current rules), even if it's a race car, might be challenging.

One funny story, IMO anyway. I was crossing at the 1000 Islands Bridge with my pickup and open trailer to pick up the sports racer. I pull up to the booth and she asked "what is the reason I'm traveling into Canada today"? In my normal joking way, I say that I bought a horse and that's why I have my trailer with me, I'm going to pick him up and take him back to my home. Now, I find that kinda funny because anyone with eyes can see that I'm towing a double axle OPEN car trailer. Apparently Canadian Customs officials don't have my same sense of sarcasm. Nope, but they do have their own, which starts with the words "OK smart-ass, pull over into space #3 and wait for the agent to come and see you". Yep, they tore my truck apart! Everything in the glove compartment and console either on the passenger floor or on the seat. Everything under and behind the rear seat on the rear floor. I wasn't happy sitting there for 20 minutes but it all changed at the end. Once I put all my crap back in its place, the Agent from the booth was walking by and she said "be careful with the horse on that trailer, I hope you have good straps"!!!!! I near pi$$ed myself and couldn't stop laughing. She walked away smiling and laughing as well. American and Canadian humor is the same, but when you have some power and decide to use it in a harmless way is cool too especially with what said said at the end. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
12/8/22 10:40 a.m.
davbro said:

I am looking to buy a 27 year old racecar from Canada (wow it just hit me how old this car is!).  it was a production based car but i don't think it was ever titled. Does anyone have any recent experience similar to this or who knows the process?  my plan was to drive up with a trailer and bring it back.  there is also tons of spares...engine, trans, body panels wheels etc

BigD on here (hasn't updated his thread in a while) just went through this importing his E30 track car into the US after relocating there. From what he posted on instagram (juggernaut_tech) it wasn't easy but he eventually got the EPA on his side that it was a racecar. I'd reach out to him there, he's pretty good about responding and you can read through his struggles in a few of his posts.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/8/22 10:54 a.m.

I have no real info but a friend had a rally car that he sold to a guy in Canada.  Then that guy put it up for sale and my friend decided to buy it back.  

he said he just did the research, had all of the papers and had to educate the people at the border but it went pretty smooth.   

This was probably 4 years ago with a b13 sentra rally car (eg street legal). 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
12/8/22 12:41 p.m.

A few years ago I worked for a company that built industrial presses and had to go to Canada to do the install.  Explained all this to the border agent who then asked if I had the press in the back of the van... I just stared at him for a minute and said "No it only weighs 68 tons!"

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/8/22 12:52 p.m.

Canadian race cars are just like custard powder--you can find them in the baking aisle of your local grocery.  But only in Canada!  cheeky

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/22 1:41 p.m.
davbro said:

27 years means no hassle about NHTSA, so that's a bonus. Canadian cars don't have titles like US ones do, but there should be some ownership docs. Doesn't matter if it was registered, hopefully you have an official ownership paper. If so, it's pretty easy. Just make an appointment with the customs office about when you'll be crossing, it'll be easier. 

Spares, etc, are unlikely to be a hassle. They're just used car parts one way or another. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/8/22 3:24 p.m.

I know this unattended dirt road just north of Rouse's Point NY ......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u8xyccLqFG1op3qR6QwcBbfshZKE3ATmMbLpp0tzkOL1XUdHH5HJFeKtx9mS4EHo