3 4 5
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/30/20 2:33 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Just an aside, indies are getting piled on when it comes to reflashes.  You have to buy one or two time-limited, VIN locked licenses, and it may cost $100-150 in fees per visit.

The OE scan tools are also going to a subscription per car service instead of an annual fee.

Right to Repair was predicated on the idea that third party shops being unable to have access to OE level tools and equipment would result in increased emissions.  That doesn't apply to EVs, which is how Tesla has been able to shut out independent shops.  I would not doubt that other EVs would go to this "dealer only" service model.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/30/20 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

They may. But aftermarket controllers and software, as well as retrofitting and "just make it work" solutions won't be as tightly regulated either. At least I don't think so. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/30/20 6:46 p.m.
pheller said:

I think rather than banning ICE cars outright, I could see California banning the ability to sell ICE cars NEW within the state.  The thought being, if you're wealthy enough to buy a new car, you're probably wealthy enough to have a charger installed (or convince your landlord to do so.) 

That is exactly what this law is proposing. Not selling new ICE cars past 2035. If somebody is  poor in 2036 they won't be able to buy a new gas Versa and they'll  have to buy the electric one. Or keep their 2013 Versa with 300k miles with no armrest or A/C and buy $11 a gallon gas.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6Mtr1HyPp3PInnJki9Wqc4a2AQAgQObw23aoUhUdzYhtmNrO84Go9aEf60rMAjN