1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/27/22 2:07 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I know you have a well developed pallette, I've tried multiple different Scotch's from friends collections.....but almost all of them, to me, just taste like a campfire.

Those smokey whiskies are actually a pretty small minority of what comes out of Scotland. It's just that the people who talk the most and loudest about Scotch whisky tend to be the ones who like the heavy smokey stuff, which is really an acquired taste. In the same way that friend who is "in to craft beer" will hand you an absurdly bitter IPA instead of a Hefeweizen.

Looks for something Lowland, Highland, or maybe Speyside. Steer away from Islay or anything that mentions "peat" or "smoke".

Do you have particular flavor profiles or anything that you tend to like the most in a whiskey? A couple of quick recommendations for started Scotches. These should all be readily available, and except for Balvenie are <$50:

Monkey Shoulder - Caramel, marmalade, creamy. The exact opposite of those campfire whiskies you don't like. Lighter and sweeter than my preference. Arguably the best Value/$$ in whisky.

Auchentoshan - Delicate and floral. Almost more like an Irish whisky, but with mure cereal and caramel.

Glenlivet 12 - Nice, balanced, fruit, vanilla, cedar chest. A good choice if you tend towards wheated bourbons (e.g. Weller or Makers)

Glenfiddich 12 - (I don't have a bottle, so my notes are rough) Balanced but a bit more robust than Glenlivet. Good choice if you prefer bourbon with a bit of rye (e.g. Buffalo trace or 4 Roses)

Balvenie Double Wood 12 - One of my go-to's and the first one that really got me into Scotch. Deep dark fruit pudding with brown sugar crumble on top. Has gone up in price, and is the only one on this list >$50, but I include as one I would grab to introduce someone to malt whisky if they want satiny and robust, rather than delicate, and don't care for smoke.

Glenlivet, Glenfidich, and Balvenie are all available in smaller size bottles (50, 200, or 375 mL) if you want to try them.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/27/22 2:35 p.m.

That Balvenie Double Wood 12 is really nice.  I got a bottle for Christmas and really have enjoyed it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/27/22 2:40 p.m.
wawazat said:

That Balvenie Double Wood 12 is really nice.  I got a bottle for Christmas and really have enjoyed it.

If you find a bottle of Rampur Double Cask, and can handle the price ($85-$110), it's like the Balvenie turned up to 11.

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/27/22 4:05 p.m.

I was never much into bourbon until a business trip to Albuquerque, where I was introduced to a speakeasy-style bourbon bar in the basement of a liquor store. You could only get to it by mentioning a particular catch-phrase at the counter, after which they led you to what looked like a walk-in freezer, but was instead the door to the stairway leading to the bar.

Too many varieties of bourbon to count, but we tasted quite the range of flavors. This thread is good for helping to refresh my somewhat muddled memories of that day...

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
3/27/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

At the wedding in August, my BIL left a bottle of that Balvenie. Delicious.

At the same time, good friend sent me a bottle of that Jefferson's Ocean aged, and I think it's pretty damn good too. 

Neither is a daily for me, but they both nice to break out when company comes over.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/27/22 6:58 p.m.

Thanks to the mentions here, I got a bottle of the Bulleit Rye last night.  That's going to remain a staple on my shelf. 

badvtwin0272
badvtwin0272 New Reader
8/19/22 4:33 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Dang man, I wish I'd come across this post earlier. I just happen to be browsing the NET looking for a place to sale a bottle from my stock and Google by luck brought up this site, LoL. If you know anybody interseted I have a factory sealed, Bottled in Bond, Henry McKenna Single Barrel that was barreled in barrel #084 on 12/05/1986.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/10/22 1:23 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

That being said, and I know it's scotch (andnot bourbon), if you can find Aberlour A'Bundah (Cast strength), woah my god....

Saw it on the shelf and grabbed a bottle on your suggestion.

Good god man! This is fantastic! Thank you heartily for this suggestion.

That is thikk and rich. Does not burn like 60% should.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/10/22 1:33 p.m.

The best in my collection right now is Remus Repeal Reserve.  It's just delicious.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/10/22 2:20 p.m.

Hmmm.  I see my original post was back in late March.  Being the heavy drinker that I am, the bottle of Michter's is almost gone!  I may need to go out and procure another bottle.  The Michter's was good, but I'll likely try something different.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/10/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Va-rye-ity is the spice of life.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WaGv7xaodk8zOfP6lBZV21qChX6ZDyzGLkFEadVgLYvhadMWm4Jn08UCM4n4nnfc