1 2
techbud
techbud New Reader
9/11/19 6:52 p.m.

Kind of like how people build gaming PCs, where they order the parts separately and assemble it together, is it possible to do that with a car? While it may be difficult and time consuming to do, I feel like there are a bunch of advantages, such as independence from dealerships and automakers, but the most important of which is customizability.

I understand that modern cars can get very complex with computers and infotainment and all those electrical components but I was thinking, if you make the car as simple as possible, such as manual transmission, carburetor, hand crank everything, as little electronics as possible, it should be possible right? (Hell maybe even an electric motor instead of an engine like they do in those classic car rebuilds)

What are your thoughts ???

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
9/11/19 6:59 p.m.

I think there is a song about that.

I always thought it would be fun to build a new willys jeep from scratch. Just bend some sheet metal panels, build a box section frame and find some drive axles and a driveline from a small straight axle 4x4.

Anything more is more project than I would want to tackle. But it's doable. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://jalopnik.com/the-man-who-spent-17-years-building-the-ultimate-lambor-5954486/amp&ved=2ahUKEwiuhdPx_MnkAhWFjp4KHQl8CikQFjATegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw23AypftNSlo5vCMD-KRXAH&ampcf=1

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/11/19 6:59 p.m.

I am going  to go out on a limb as say "Yes"

I built this

And you should see what some of the real crazy people are building for the challenge.

Question is: How good of a builder are you?

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
9/11/19 7:00 p.m.

It's a canoe.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/11/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to techbud :

Yes, you absolutely can. Start here.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
9/11/19 7:09 p.m.

Crap. Suckered me right in. Piss off canoe.

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
9/11/19 7:13 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I found out its other post was a canoe when I tried to research a bit about the question and found the same question from four days ago with a related username.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/11/19 7:56 p.m.

What they selling? Computers?

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
9/11/19 8:01 p.m.

What's a canoe? I mean get that it's some kind of spammer, or a tiny boat but where did the word come from?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/12/19 1:56 a.m.
BirgerBuilder said:

What's a canoe? I mean get that it's some kind of spammer, or a tiny boat but where did the word come from?

It used to be that it was easiest for the mods to have people flag these posts that way, and then search the forum for the term and then delete it, without the spammers knowing it was coming down on them.  I'm not sure that's the case any more... but the terminology is now part of the topology.  And, it's fun.

edit, just because, here's the original copy/spam text that was used:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/7n7vbk/is_it_possible_to_build_your_own_car/

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/19 7:53 a.m.

Should we (and by "we" I really mean Tim) change this title appropriately? 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
9/12/19 8:33 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yes, please...

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 9:45 a.m.

Alright, fine... guess I better move it to off topic too.

Maybe I’ll use this for when/if I get around to building my own canoe.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/12/19 9:50 a.m.

Wait, so are we building cars?  Or canoes?  Or computers? 

I'm confused.  Again.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

OP is confirmed as spam, and has been de-activated.  The OP post is a straight cut/paste job from reddit (which they frequently go back a few days/weeks later and edit-in spam).  I reckon, in the spirit of ‘stop hotlinking’, we’ll turn this thread into a ‘Build Your Own Physical Watercraft’ thread.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/19 10:22 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/12/19 10:25 a.m.

The reason you can't bolt together your own car the way you can screw together your own computer is that computer parts are fully standardized (you buy an ATX case and an ATX PSU with standard 24+4 pin connector, stick in an ATX mobo with a socket ABC CPU and DDRXYZ RAM, SATA hard drive, plug in an HDMI monitor with USB keyboard and mouse and away you go!), while there is very little standardization in the automotive world - wheels and tires and some hoses and electrical connectors are standardized, and that's about it.

If you had standardized frame/subframe connections, suspension dimensions, engine/trans/diff mount configurations, axle splines, exhaust connection points, fuel tanks, radiators, and seat connections, that would be just enough to bolt together a ghettocet like a computer. Then you'd have the interior and exterior to deal with...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/12/19 11:13 a.m.

Aren't Checker cars bolt ups from GM hardware?

Yeah, you can build your own canoe.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/12/19 11:21 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, how do the spammers work when there's no link?  

How is it that they profit by just posting in the forums?  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/12/19 11:25 a.m.

I'm very disappointed. I I thought we finally had the canoe selling canoe I've been dreaming of.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/12/19 11:34 a.m.
alfadriver said:

It’s an “establish trust” post. They say something to be “part of the community”, and lay low on the links for a while until somebody thinks they are “real”. 

THEN they post a link. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
9/12/19 11:36 a.m.

Building your own canoe takes a tree and 5 minutes with an axe if cartoons are any indication.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/12/19 11:47 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

thats not a canoe.. that's an adirondack guide boat.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/12/19 12:03 p.m.
SVreX said:
alfadriver said:

It’s an “establish trust” post. They say something to be “part of the community”, and lay low on the links for a while until somebody thinks they are “real”. 

THEN they post a link. 

that’s how it used to be; they’re using a different tactic now... which I’m not going to explain publicly; because why I explain that i know their method?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/12/19 12:12 p.m.

Can't we just write a program that will infiltrate their program and cause it to die a slow and painful death?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZOgUXKZH471TwtHFofF3JKP7UODu6FW5IxApvDOxKnyhNBykllv2nCATjnG92JQ8