1 2 3
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/21/20 4:25 p.m.

Rant- people need to learn to read. There are several signs on the door of my shop that indicate important information that one should know before coming in. Stuff like, we are requiring masks. We ask that you not bring your propane tank inside my store, full, empty, brand new, or used. Leave it out front. We also ask that no pets be brought into the store, because if someone's dog bites someone's kid on the property, we have problems. We also have a sign on our drinks case (three in fact) that say please ask cashier for assistance. People will put their full berkeleying weight into opening that door, and not read the three signs at eye level. It's frustrating. People just do not read at all, and more than once I've been yelled at for telling someone not reading and me having to tell them. I'm over it. 

 

I have repeatedly proposed a solution wherein we write another sign. On that sign would be indicated a contract, or code of conduct. Rules we expect people to follow. You know, the ones that are on the rest of my signs. However, as an addendum, I want to add a $5 surcharge for anyone that chooses to ignore my signage and engage in the activities we prohibit.

My question- is that legally enforceable? Can someone opening my door and crossing the threshold be considered acceptance of a posted contract? I don't really want to incur any sort of major issue-but I want to hold people responsible for their actions and I want people to start paying attention. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/21/20 4:41 p.m.

The do not remove stickers are not legally enforceable which would be the closest case. Their is a few cases or two where you loose liability in parking lots and the like but enforcing them is the hard part./ 

 

Do not remove: deceptive and potentially illegal in the U.S., as per a series of warning letters the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent to six companies. These companies deal in a wide range of industries, the Commission noted, from selling automobiles to cellular devices to video gaming systems — but all say that “consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact.” 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/21/20 5:03 p.m.

My initial thought is no. 

But I'm also not a lawyer. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/21/20 5:23 p.m.

It doesn't need to be a contract to charge them, it can be a surcharge or gratuity. 

Just as restaurants often have an 18 or 20% gratuity added to the bill of tables of six or more. 

Just post it, then when the guilty party comes to the front to be rang, add the charge, point to the sign and when they squawk proclaim that the educational lesson learned was far cheaper than a credit at the local college, and hopefully they'll find the information learned more useful and retain it longer. 

 

In all likelihood you'll weed out the customers who aren't worth a damn from a profitability standpoint anyways. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/21/20 5:50 p.m.

I don't really have any answer to your question, but:

PEOPLE BRINGING THEIR BERKING DOGS INTO STORES DRIVES ME BERKING INSANE

IT IS NOT A SERVICE DOG AND WE BOTH BERKING KNOW IT SO STUFF THAT BULLE36 M3 RIGHT BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM

LEAVE YOUR BERKING DOG AT HOME AND IF YOU CAN'T TRUST YOUR DOG ALONE FOR A COUPLE BERKING HOURS MAYBE DOG OWNERSHIP ISN'T FOR YOU BERKWIT

OK, I think I've said my piece.

Until the next time I see some dumbass piece of E36 M3 carrying her little dog around the grocery store or big box.

 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/21/20 5:59 p.m.
Duke said:

I don't really have any answer to your question, but:

PEOPLE BRINGING THEIR BERKING DOGS INTO STORES DRIVES ME BERKING INSANE

IT IS NOT A SERVICE DOG AND WE BOTH BERKING KNOW IT SO STUFF THAT BULLE36 M3 RIGHT BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM

LEAVE YOUR BERKING DOG AT HOME AND IF YOU CAN'T TRUST YOUR DOG ALONE FOR A COUPLE BERKING HOURS MAYBE DOG OWNERSHIP ISN'T FOR YOU BERKWIT

OK, I think I've said my piece.

Until the next time I see some dumbass piece of E36 M3 carrying her little dog around the grocery store or big box store.

 

I'm with you. And that's all I'll say because that's a debate I've had at exhaustive length with several people. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/21/20 5:59 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

It doesn't need to be a contract to charge them, it can be a surcharge or gratuity. 

Just as restaurants often have an 18 or 20% gratuity added to the bill of tables of six or more. 

Just post it, then when the guilty party comes to the front to be rang, add the charge, point to the sign and when they squawk proclaim that the educational lesson learned was far cheaper than a credit at the local college, and hopefully they'll find the information learned more useful and retain it longer. 

 

In all likelihood you'll weed out the customers who aren't worth a damn from a profitability standpoint anyways. 

This is solid advice. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/21/20 6:46 p.m.

Dog haters.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/21/20 6:55 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Dog haters.

I like dogs. I'm admittedly a cat person, but I like dogs. I do not like dogs where dogs do not belong. Especially people that know that said dogs do not belong and choose to flout the rules anyhow and claim it is a "service animal" when it is no such thing. Or even worse, the people that know it's not a service animal, acknowledge as such, and continue to believe they're better than everyone else anyhow and take said dog where it does not belong. It's the self entitled E36 M3horn I'm better than you attitude that I do not like. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
11/21/20 6:56 p.m.

Add it in the receipt "Yellow sign, $5".  When questioned, point at the sign.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/21/20 7:29 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Dog haters.

I love dogs. 

They have no place in stores or restaurants unless they are actual, highly-trained, medically necessary service dogs. 
 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/21/20 7:31 p.m.
Mndsm said:
ShawnG said:

Dog haters.

I like dogs. I'm admittedly a cat person, but I like dogs. I do not like dogs where dogs do not belong. Especially people that know that said dogs do not belong and choose to flout the rules anyhow and claim it is a "service animal" when it is no such thing. Or even worse, the people that know it's not a service animal, acknowledge as such, and continue to believe they're better than everyone else anyhow and take said dog where it does not belong. It's the self entitled E36 M3horn I'm better than you attitude that I do not like. 

THIS.  One thousand and ten percent. 
 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/21/20 7:36 p.m.

Yeah, the dogs everywhere thing is odd to me. Your dog can't roam the neighborhood anymore and you'd better pick up their crap when you walk them, but..............yes please-bring your ill behaved, poorly bathed, potentially aggressive and/or allergy causing pet into my store that has nothing to do with pets. It is a weird thing to watch them go from allowed everywhere but businesses, to everyone locking them down outside but bringing them into every crowded place they can find.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
11/21/20 7:43 p.m.

I love my dogs, that's why they stay home when we go out shopping. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/21/20 8:00 p.m.

Home Depot allows dogs.  As does my local O'Reilly's.  Its weird whenever I see them in there.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/21/20 8:17 p.m.

Too many signs in general. People are very easily distracted. We like to make rules and not enforce them. This is why the customer is always right and we adjust the price accordingly to account for them being "right."

I don't understand the I can bring my dog wherever I want attitude people have.  

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/21/20 8:25 p.m.

This has been a problem since well before the 70s. Back when that business had a sign on the door that read... 

 "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"

 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/21/20 8:33 p.m.

What you're describing is a New Jersey discount. Add a percentage to the total.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
11/21/20 8:54 p.m.

First, how many signs do you expect people to read as they approach the door? Do you have advertising up there as well? My concern as I walk up to a door is if someone inside coming out and hitting me with the door. I'm usually focused on what is inside the door trying to come out and ignoring that "Cheese Doodles are on sale 2 for 1!"

If you want people to not open a door that is displaying products, put a latch on them. Even something simple to slow them down so they think and then maybe read how they can get the stuff they want from behind the glass.

As for "service animals" don't get me started. I have rental properties and that is the latest BS story everybody has trying to move into an apartment that says "NO PETS". I don't care if Scruffy is a good dog(they all are) unless you show me paperwork saying you need one and paperwork proving the animal is one, you aren't moving in.  The vest you bought online isn't enough.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/21/20 8:55 p.m.
Duke said:
Mndsm said:
ShawnG said:

Dog haters.

I like dogs. I'm admittedly a cat person, but I like dogs. I do not like dogs where dogs do not belong. Especially people that know that said dogs do not belong and choose to flout the rules anyhow and claim it is a "service animal" when it is no such thing. Or even worse, the people that know it's not a service animal, acknowledge as such, and continue to believe they're better than everyone else anyhow and take said dog where it does not belong. It's the self entitled E36 M3horn I'm better than you attitude that I do not like. 

THIS.  One thousand and ten percent. 
 

One million percent. We have three dogs, the only time the come with us is if we are taking them to the groomers or a dog park. Period.

Whether an outdoor farmers market or I'm overpaying for brunch, leave your damn dogs at home. If they can't be left out, crate train them like we have done with ours.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
11/21/20 9:10 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

It doesn't need to be a contract to charge them, it can be a surcharge or gratuity. 

Just as restaurants often have an 18 or 20% gratuity added to the bill of tables of six or more. 

Just post it, then when the guilty party comes to the front to be rang, add the charge, point to the sign and when they squawk proclaim that the educational lesson learned was far cheaper than a credit at the local college, and hopefully they'll find the information learned more useful and retain it longer. 

 

In all likelihood you'll weed out the customers who aren't worth a damn from a profitability standpoint anyways. 

Maybe add a cleaning surcharge. 
 

Put on the signs that failure to wear a mask (bring in dog or open cooler) will result in a $5 cleaning surcharge. 

Make sure the sign is also at the register so you can point it out. 

iansane
iansane Reader
11/21/20 9:13 p.m.

People are typically too dumb/lazy/self absorbed to read a sign. Especially if it's more than just a few words. 

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
11/21/20 9:19 p.m.

You are SOL if you expect people to read signs. Most of them can't chew bubble gum and breath at the same time. 

I did scare a couple of years off a guys life one time. He walked past the signs, barricades, and under the caution tape to stand at the bottom of my ladder as I was pulling a 4'x3' plate glass out of a door transom. I looked down and mentioned if the glass slipped it would kill him dead and that he might want to move. He took a couple of steps back, looked around, realized where he was and said something like "Oh E36 M3!" He had no clue, even after lifting the caution tape over his head. 

Mndsm, you are starting to sound like you are reaching Retail Burnout. Customers won't get any smarter if you stick with it. They only get worse. I'd say it's time to start considering a change. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/21/20 9:24 p.m.

There are restaurants where I live that advertise dog friendly patios.  We also have a private dog park with a restaurant that sells alcoholic beverages. 

There is a dog friendly apartment complex in North Dallas that is next to a dog park. 

Businesses around here tend to welcome dogs.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
11/21/20 10:01 p.m.

Add a new sign?

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
wN0ouJwqeqjy9qiJcIwMdVJGlu7J2PpytqcWaBXJys8V9aGF1JAivHyAkZuJ6qY3