1 2 3
MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/27/10 8:22 p.m.

Explain?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/27/10 8:29 p.m.

My, my. Are we having a bad day?

Love,

Schmucky the Clown

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
3/27/10 8:31 p.m.

It's where you right click > copy image location and paste that into a post.

It does drive up the google page rank of the hosting site. I don't think it's such a bad trade-off.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/27/10 8:39 p.m.

As long as we don't get inadvertently goatse'd or something, who cares? Are you also lobbying google to take down Image Search? Because that's basically a massive internet-wide image hotlinking machine.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/27/10 8:46 p.m.

technically, we should not do it... but for an image that we will never see again and will quickly get buried after being viewed 40 times?

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/27/10 8:55 p.m.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/27/10 9:03 p.m.

Well if they allowed us to just post the picture to the forum that would stop all of that and be easier besides.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/27/10 9:03 p.m.

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
3/27/10 9:04 p.m.

I've never exactly figured out how to post pics on GRM anyway, it seems like sometimes it works & sometimes not. Other times I have to screw around with the HTML and then sometimes it shows up in the preview pane but not after I post???

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/27/10 9:07 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I've never exactly figured out how to post pics on GRM anyway, it seems like sometimes it works & sometimes not. Other times I have to screw around with the HTML and then sometimes it shows up in the preview pane but not after I post???

hit return after you generate the link. That seems to work for me.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/27/10 9:18 p.m.

If the forums ops really care, they can toggle the "non-hotlinking" option

alex
alex Dork
3/27/10 9:28 p.m.

Rough Friday, Mr. IT Guy?

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/27/10 9:33 p.m.

So, save a pic to your HD that isn't yours, then post it to a pic site WHERE THEY WILL ASK YOU IF THE PIC YOU'RE UPLOADING IS YOURS, then use that link? Gotcha.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
3/27/10 9:41 p.m.

Lighten up Francis.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/27/10 9:42 p.m.

I'm there with "petegossett" 'cept in my case I've never gotten a pic to come up on this forum

not the forums fault ... it/they can't help that I'm a luddite.. not really... just this puter stuff sometimes doesn't make as much sense as other times...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
3/27/10 9:51 p.m.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/27/10 9:52 p.m.

aleeya.net needs to learn to advertise (or just quit hosting such cool pictures )

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
3/27/10 9:53 p.m.

Sorry Joshua, found a better one to steal bandwidth from.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/27/10 10:02 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Sorry Joshua, found a better one to steal bandwidth from.

I won't complain about that one.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
3/27/10 10:03 p.m.

I can rebuild a 4-barrel Holley but I kinda understand what this guy is talking about. Kinda.

Really I have no clue what stealing bandwidth is.......

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/27/10 10:12 p.m.

Hotlinked hot links!

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
3/27/10 11:01 p.m.

Your typical picture posted on a forum is like what, 300kbs?

A multiple page thread that has been going on for a few days on sites way bigger then this generate about 150 views of that thread. Of which many are repeated, so the image is viewed off the persons cache with out downloading it again. So say an 125 as being a VERY ambitious number for the times that image is downloaded by viewers of the thread... After all threads seem to be the same handful of people going back and forth with another small pile of loos. I would guess it to be more realistically 50 or so unique connections.

Still, assuming that it IS 125 different people that is a total of 37.5 mb of bandwidth. What host of multimedia content honestly finds 37.5mbs of bandwidth over multiple days to be excessive? Especially when it advertises their site, and drives their URL up the list of search results?

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
3/27/10 11:19 p.m.
RedS13Coupe wrote: Your typical picture posted on a forum is like what, 300kbs? A multiple page thread that has been going on for a few days on sites way bigger then this generate about 150 views of that thread. Of which many are repeated, so the image is viewed off the persons cache with out downloading it again. So say an 125 as being a VERY ambitious number for the times that image is downloaded by viewers of the thread... After all threads seem to be the same handful of people going back and forth with another small pile of loos. I would guess it to be more realistically 50 or so unique connections. Still, assuming that it IS 125 different people that is a total of 37.5 mb of bandwidth. What host of multimedia content honestly finds 37.5mbs of bandwidth over multiple days to be excessive? Especially when it advertises their site, and drives their URL up the list of search results?

So, basically, you're suggesting that the OP get a grip?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/27/10 11:23 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Lighten up Francis.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/27/10 11:33 p.m.

Did the wife say no Jeff?

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
eVgLz9HPGVh3zAh3wjV80XhaPIBq7CXSsXKWuALfKTRUo4U8U7hzzPfulZaRJpM0