2 3 4 5 6
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/29/10 12:52 p.m.
Josh wrote: As long as we don't get inadvertently goatse'd or something, who cares? Are you also lobbying google to take down Image Search? Because that's basically a massive internet-wide image hotlinking machine.

Actually Google caches the images they use as thumbnails...

But on the topic of hotlinking pics on forums: It's not a big deal anymore. This is 2010, not 1998. We haz moar bandwithz.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
3/29/10 1:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
GlennS wrote: this link is hot
Yes. Yes, it is. I'd be happy to hotlink her anytime.
she's like 15 or 16 and her dad was none too happy about this picture.
Is it illegal if I save this pic to my computer?

she is, um, really a pole vaulter.. http://stromdotcom.blogspot.com/2007/05/allison-stokke.html

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
3/29/10 1:25 p.m.
Marty! wrote:

I'm surprised the UPS Damage Control Machine has not removed that pic yet.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/10 1:29 p.m.
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
she is, um, really a pole vaulter.. http://stromdotcom.blogspot.com/2007/05/allison-stokke.html

All I have to say is every time we quote this we exponentially hotlink it as well...

slefain
slefain Dork
3/29/10 1:35 p.m.

No.

Takes me about 1 seconds to hotlink to an image I found on Google Images, while finding an image, uploading it to a server, and then getting the link location take about a minute. Plus I'm a rebel.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/29/10 1:47 p.m.

I'm not sure I understand the argument against hotlinking. I host lots of photos on my own personal photobucket, which is cool because it gives me the ability to track where clicks are coming from. Even if somebody copies my source code and posts it somewhere else, it will still work.

If they copied the photo and hosted it themselves, I wouldn't be able to see those statistics. If I run short on bandwidth, I could choose to take it down. If it's something valuable, I can watermark it and keep the full-res, unwatermarked versions for myself. The way I see it, as the originator of this content, it's my responsibility to control what's made available to the world, not the world's responsibility to re-host my pictures.

To the OP- help me understand why I am wrong.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/29/10 2:03 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
All I have to say is every time we quote this we exponentially hotlink it as well...

Actually not, as once it's in your browser's cache, that's where it pulls it from, and it only pulls it from there once per page, no matter how many times it's linked to ON that page. And if you refresh teh page, it will only pull it from the original site once, regardless of how many times it's linked to on the page.

The whole "bandwidth stealing" crap is just that. Crap.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/29/10 2:04 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: To the OP- help me understand why I am wrong.

I can help you. In ye olden days, hotlinking images consumed some of the limited bandwidth on the servers hosting them. This meant that the Redundant Array of Inexpensive Hamsters had to be fed more alfalfa and the steam-driven data conveyance machines needed more coal. This meant higher hosting costs.

However these days, cheap and plentiful unicorn fart reactor-powered hosting is available, so nobody cares about casual hotlinking, except the OP.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/29/10 2:07 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:

She can Pole Vault me.... ah thank you....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/29/10 2:07 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
John Brown wrote:
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
Actually not, as once it's in your browser's cache, that's where it pulls it from, and it only pulls it from there once per page, no matter how many times it's linked to ON that page. And if you refresh teh page, it will only pull it from the original site once, regardless of how many times it's linked to on the page.

Sssshhh you're ruining the fun!

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/29/10 2:08 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
John Brown wrote:
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:

No I'm not. But I am continuing this particular quotefest... for obvious reasons.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/10 2:10 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
John Brown wrote:
Shaun wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
No I'm not. But I am continuing this particular quotefest... for obvious reasons.

She is getting smaller :(

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/29/10 2:11 p.m.

If you're going to do it, at least do it with a fresh quote so it's not so dang small. This re-quoting until the margins go to hell makes my head hurt.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
3/29/10 2:12 p.m.

Someday that gal is going to kick all ya'lls ass with that pole of hers

TJ
TJ Dork
3/29/10 2:14 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: If you're going to do it, at least do it with a fresh quote so it's not so dang small. This re-quoting until the margins go to hell makes my head hurt.

Ok.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/29/10 2:16 p.m.
TJ wrote:
Tom Heath wrote: If you're going to do it, at least do it with a fresh quote so it's not so dang small. This re-quoting until the margins go to hell makes my head hurt.
Ok.

Will do.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/29/10 2:16 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
She is getting smaller :(

Well, that's lame.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/10 2:17 p.m.

AND I raise you:

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/29/10 2:18 p.m.

In reply to John Brown:

Bevis said:

Heh Heh, He said "Raise You" heh Heh

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/10 2:19 p.m.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/29/10 2:29 p.m.
John Brown wrote:

how much stress are those buttons under?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/29/10 2:30 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
John Brown wrote:

A smidge too little IMO.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
3/29/10 4:06 p.m.
racerfink wrote: And Iggy gets the facts wrong again. She's 18 in that pic.
Quagmire said: How old are you?
Little Girl said: 15....
Quagmire said: 18?! Alright!!!!!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
3/29/10 4:36 p.m.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/29/10 5:37 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
John Brown wrote:
A smidge too little IMO.

ok walterj you owe me a keyboard... mine wasn't able to handle the coffee from my nose

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wqaqNMccISpN2ZbMRYlKERfY5DuRzHDIaHP8XVzR5blsYed5em3c0xhISC6dEMX4