914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/22 9:23 a.m.

Interesting nose.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/22 9:32 a.m.

Saw this car at the Lime Rock show a few years ago, SOUNDS like it looks.  Love the peppers.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/22 11:36 a.m.

This is a 1963 Rambler, dead square body, little round tail lights.  Can you ID the twin sticks?  As says it's a manual.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/23/22 2:49 p.m.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/23/22 4:44 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Funky electric overdrive. My friends Spitfire just had a button on the knob. I think the Rambler did a bit more.

This couldn't possibly be a bad idea lol

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/22 8:26 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Funky electric overdrive. My friends Spitfire just had a button on the knob. I think the Rambler did a bit more.

Funky not electric overdrive, I think.  There was a handle under the dash for a cable that engaged overdrive on a 55 Chev I rode in 45 years ago.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/24/22 6:06 a.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/22 8:56 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

This couldn't possibly be a bad idea lol

Heck no! They are fun but the handling is sketchy AF, brakes not super brakey, seat pretty much uncomfortable, it will try to kill you a bunch. But its fun! It likes to pull the front wheel up on full throttle just enough to make it super squirelley.  I have the coleman ct200u with the front/back racks. Great neighborhood cruiser, errand runner. You can get the suspension forks from the other model colemans, turn the factory seat into a springer which helps a ton, and grab a cheap "torque converter" cvt clutch setup. With the standard carb/engine mods you'll be up in the 50 mph's. Mine does a little over 40 but it has the stock exhaust holding it back. Im going to probably put a 420cc "16hp" motor on a similar frame, a "baja", cause more power. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
7/24/22 10:53 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/22 11:21 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/22 11:34 a.m.

I think I overcommitted a little on that turn.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/24/22 12:31 p.m.

This is not how you want to see a seat mounted, particularly on a "restored" car someone spent 300K on. 

Don't worry there are just as many holes through the floor. Sitting on four 1 inch diameter posts ready to punch through the seat pan when the car hits a bump.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/24/22 12:48 p.m.
Duke said:

Those wheels are ok, but the hatch is a big NO for me.

Pic unrelated:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/22 12:52 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
preach (dudeist priest) said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Funky not electric overdrive, I think.  There was a handle under the dash for a cable that engaged overdrive on a 55 Chev I rode in 45 years ago.

I thought those overdrives were only on 3 speed manual vehicles, little box that sat between the trans and bellhousing.  I was not aware that they were ever in automatics, and that does not look like a manual shift, there is no side gate.

Unless it is just a weird twin stick for the 3 speed?  Every manual Rambler I have seen in person was column shift.  And that does look like it has three pedals...

Off to Google!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/22 12:56 p.m.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/two-to-go-ramblers-1963-1965-twin-stick-transmission/

In a nutshell, Twin-Stick was Rambler’s tried-and-true Borg-Warner electric overdrive system, beloved of penny-pinching fuel misers everywhere, but with a sporty twist. A second lever was added alongside the console shifter for the three-speed manual transmission. So the setup worked pretty much like a three-speed-plus-overdrive standard transmission, but with a convenient second stick so the driver could manually select or disengage overdrive at any time, on the fly. Additionally, there was a small white button atop the left shift knob allowing the driver to kick down, instantly and clutchlessly, from overdrive to standard gear range.

Okay...  but how is there a side gate?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
7/24/22 3:20 p.m.
Duke said:

I think I overcommitted a little on that turn.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/24/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I see 3 pedals in the photo. The Warner Gear overdrive goes between the gearbox output and the drive shaft, not between gearbox and clutch. Pic of a survivor for Duke.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/24/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I like it, but would love it, had they committed fully and just done a Station Wagon roof extension rather than the glass panel.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/22 10:23 p.m.

7/25/22 1:23 p.m.

This is for sale in Greenville, SC and I'm not buying it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/25/22 2:25 p.m.

They are boxing gloves...

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
7/25/22 4:09 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Three speed with overdrive (O.D. enabled by lever on the right).  Had a '64 with the same unit.   My instruction was leave it in O.D. all the time.  Slow.  Acceleration at a glacial pace.  Shift into high gear, lift off the accelerator, and overdrive activates.  The button on the left shifter would take it out of overdrive.  And not the slickest shifting three speed.

7/25/22 4:54 p.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
7/25/22 5:27 p.m.

Expensive trailer...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
45xv2ivKlwJWiwitCxdT3sSd5qbz6aqMvbcjuQ6lv91tQCW4hGDyV9u01VRIfdqA