Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/25/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

In true GRM fashion, I had already purchased upgrades before the bike was delivered. I have the Coleman CT200U-EX fork kit on the way along with a stage-1 upgrade kit (non-EPA carb, header, intake) and rear rack. Eventually this will get a Tillotson 212 with billet internals, Mikuni 22mm carb, a front brake (Coleman CT200 rear brake parts and wheel), better tires and maybe some lighting for after-dark shenanigans.

The seat is terrible. Its not very comfortable and cuts into my thighs. I saw the springer conversions but I might swap the seat. Also the footpegs suck. I'm trying to backyard engineer a set of mid-control pegs.

It should be a fun project. I wish I didn't live in the middle of suburbia hell so I could use it to scoot to the store without constantly being worried about being hassled by the man. I read that people have modded these things to where they can do 70mph. That is berking terrifying. I'll be good with 40 or so.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
7/26/22 8:37 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/26/22 9:42 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Freiburger says its mint.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/26/22 10:33 a.m.

So I admit that I'm not always the sharpest tool in the box, but I can't wrap my head around how the front suspension "works" on this one.  Can someone take a look and try to explain it so my little bits of mush might understand. It's probably something simple that I just can't see. If so, I'll have one of those "ah ha" moments.

Thanks

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/26/22 11:32 a.m.

Reply to Lotusseven: I works just like this American Underslung, except the frame strikes the ground earlier. Think of the springs in tension instead of compressionsurprise

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/26/22 12:01 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to 84FSP :

Freiburger says its mint.

Different one or major changes from the initial. Bags and shocks on that one instead of the weird upside down leaf one.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/22 12:15 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

In true GRM fashion, I had already purchased upgrades before the bike was delivered. I have the Coleman CT200U-EX fork kit on the way along with a stage-1 upgrade kit (non-EPA carb, header, intake) and rear rack. Eventually this will get a Tillotson 212 with billet internals, Mikuni 22mm carb, a front brake (Coleman CT200 rear brake parts and wheel), better tires and maybe some lighting for after-dark shenanigans.

The seat is terrible. Its not very comfortable and cuts into my thighs. I saw the springer conversions but I might swap the seat. Also the footpegs suck. I'm trying to backyard engineer a set of mid-control pegs.

It should be a fun project. I wish I didn't live in the middle of suburbia hell so I could use it to scoot to the store without constantly being worried about being hassled by the man. I read that people have modded these things to where they can do 70mph. That is berking terrifying. I'll be good with 40 or so.

Build thread or ban!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/26/22 1:51 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

So I admit that I'm not always the sharpest tool in the box, but I can't wrap my head around how the front suspension "works" on this one.  Can someone take a look and try to explain it so my little bits of mush might understand. It's probably something simple that I just can't see. If so, I'll have one of those "ah ha" moments.

It looks like that front suspension works about as good as the rear does.... effectively the same as running on the stops (which I assume the rear is on).  There is no stretch in those inverted leaf springs other than the bushings that I can see.

Not a huge deal for these slammed cars.  Zero suspension is pretty much a given.... bouncy, bouncy.

VW BUG LIFE: SLAMMED BEETLES

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/26/22 9:28 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I see how the suspension works in your example, but I'm still stumped on the Jeep rat-rod. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/26/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

I think it works by keeping the wheels attached to the car, and not much more than that.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

That's fair. I'll get some more pics when all the goodies start rolling in yes

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/27/22 1:43 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/27/22 8:08 a.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/27/22 8:57 a.m.

Yeah Baby !

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/27/22 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Under a black light,I'd bet the inside of that party van glows like Chernobyl.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
7/27/22 9:51 a.m.

FB Marketplace - sadly asking 5500 so not cheap enough for challenge glory.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
7/27/22 2:16 p.m.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/27/22 9:14 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/28/22 7:30 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Reply to Lotusseven: I works just like this American Underslung, except the frame strikes the ground earlier. Think of the springs in tension instead of compressionsurprise

Yep, American Underslung. (19005-1914).   Jay Leno and Donald Osborne wheeled around Newport in one.  Logic was, with a low CG and 40" wheels you would get a smoother ride.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
7/28/22 1:24 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/22 2:13 p.m.
fasted58 said:

There's a lot of these type posts going around these days.  All basically reminding people that they work for pay, not for the love of their corporate overlords.  Sure it's true.  But guess what?  Working with people you like, having a good team spirit,  and yes, occasionally go out for beers together helps everyone.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/22 2:37 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
fasted58 said:

There's a lot of these type posts going around these days.  All basically reminding people that they work for pay, not for the love of their corporate overlords.  Sure it's true.  But guess what?  Working with people you like, having a good team spirit,  and yes, occasionally go out for beers together helps everyone.  

On my wall at work:

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
7/29/22 11:35 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:  On my wall at work:

It's management's job to convince people of this. 

Once you start looking at yourself as the CEO of a small contracting company (you) providing services to a client (your employer) and view every decision through the lens of "Is this good for my company?" you can flip it back on them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/29/22 12:26 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

(To clarify:  PC3 is a wild deviation and huge disappointment from the previous versions and the entire vision of the product)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LP7lubHyLNFgDZfIocrthRZoXPjl59aMjSPpIpR7sAHo4LGQt7x3Qk4fqzrrOhER