CJ
CJ Dork
11/29/22 2:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
Indy - Guy said:

Please tell me that this is still available somewhere. 

$2,710.00 in polished chrome at https://newretrobath.com//products/rh1127.htm

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/29/22 3:10 p.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/29/22 3:29 p.m.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
11/29/22 3:36 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Wow! broke both tie rods! Time for 3/4 ChroMoly.. But then something harder to fix will break! 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/29/22 5:46 p.m.

Can anyone name the track?  Is it Circuit of the Americas?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/29/22 5:57 p.m.
Duke said:

About those air victories - here are the total numbers.  NOTE:  this is not normalized per plane or per plane lost.

Just took a closer look at this, and noticed this quote:

....In the final air battle defending the ship, SBD's were launched along with the F4F Wildcats to defend the ship as the low altitude air defense screen.  At the end of the battle, Ensign John Leppla, an SBD Scout Bomber Pilot, along with his gunner, were credited with 7 kills.  This was more than any of the fighter pilots on the USS Lexington had at the time.

Ouch!

In case you aren't familiar.  I do remember a story (I think it was on the old Dogfights show that was on History) where a lone Zero attacked an SBD and the SBD did some very effective manuvering and eventually got the zero.  The pilot was immediatly transitioned to fighters!

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
11/29/22 6:18 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That looks like the esses at COTA to me.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/29/22 7:36 p.m.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/29/22 7:37 p.m.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/29/22 7:37 p.m.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
11/29/22 8:24 p.m.

Great book if you are into planes. Chuck Yeager does the intro. Bud Anderson was a stud.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/22 1:37 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 1:50 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/30/22 2:26 p.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
11/30/22 2:46 p.m.
914Driver said:

!!

I was just trying to talk the Mrs into doing this with the minivan! She had some crazy reply like "I drive that to work, that's an awful idea".

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/22 3:11 p.m.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
11/30/22 4:14 p.m.
Duke said:

The amount of lbs of fuel burning per second in this picture is very large.   

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 4:22 p.m.
stroker said:

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles on YouTube has some excellent videos on the P-38 and the Hellcat.   Aircooled's reference to the Hellcat being like the airborne version of the T-34 is a lot more right than wrong.  The right airplane at the right time, indeed.  

Airborne version ... of a T-34?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/30/22 4:31 p.m.

Nah, more of a militarized version of this (very nice plane of course, and also pretty pricey):

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/22 4:32 p.m.
Appleseed said:
stroker said:

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles on YouTube has some excellent videos on the P-38 and the Hellcat.   Aircooled's reference to the Hellcat being like the airborne version of the T-34 is a lot more right than wrong.  The right airplane at the right time, indeed.  

He was referring to the T-34 tank.  Maybe not the best on paper, but cheap and simple (so available in large numbers) while staying reasonably rugged and with solid performance.

But boy, I think Mentors have nice lines.  Always a fan.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 4:40 p.m.

I know. The Mentor was the first thing I thought of (naturally.) Just being g a wiseass.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/30/22 4:47 p.m.
chandler said:

I know that car.  I saw it race several times at Oulton park.  We used to go to a lot of races where the Jaguar Drivers Club had races, there was normally an 'Inter marque' race open to Jag, Porsche, Aston, Ferrari etc.  That car was a beast, always loved it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/30/22 4:52 p.m.
Duke said:

He was referring to the T-34 tank.  Maybe not the best on paper, but cheap and simple (so available in large numbers) while staying reasonably rugged and with solid performance.

Ohhhh.   Doh!  (T34 tank for reference):

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/30/22 5:09 p.m.
CJ said:
BoxheadTim said:
Indy - Guy said:

Please tell me that this is still available somewhere. 

$2,710.00 in polished chrome at https://newretrobath.com//products/rh1127.htm

You know I saw a video the other day on how to electroplate 3D prints...

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
11/30/22 9:37 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
chandler said:

I know that car.  I saw it race several times at Oulton park.  We used to go to a lot of races where the Jaguar Drivers Club had races, there was normally an 'Inter marque' race open to Jag, Porsche, Aston, Ferrari etc.  That car was a beast, always loved it.

More information required please. That thing looks rad!

*Edit - hotlink failed. Sorry :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hu5Y2abW6FuOeig4I0GYQ0T9YQPi20COTR3HsSt02NrYqbATYLnmfGhMPTwHNxA9