1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/8/21 11:03 a.m.

This is a place to discuss cars teens shouldn't/can't drive in Australia.  You can also share unsolicited parental advice here.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/8/21 11:36 a.m.

Don't make snow angels in the dog park.

Here's advice my grandpa gave my dad, my dad gave me, and I've given my kids (it's a two parter):
Part 1 - In the winter find a big, empty, snowy parking lot and hoon till your heart is content. E-brake turns, rockford turns, anything else. You'll learn a LOT about car control

Part 2 - Check out the lot in the summer. Know where potholes, drain covers, and curbs are because you won't see them under the snow. Keep the hooning to 15-20 minutes at a stretch. Cops don't like fun. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
12/8/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

When I first got my license I also worked at a bar and I would do this exact thing around the 2-3am time frame after work (too wired to go to bed). Made a huge impact on my comfort level with the car. Everyone should try it, but not posting about it to Facebook and trying to get like 15 people there at a time like some kids did here... No one got hurt but the police were sitting there waiting for them...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/8/21 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Why would they want to drive in Australia?  The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/8/21 11:52 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

Why would they want to drive in Australia?  The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

BAAAHAAA

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/8/21 11:54 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Don't make snow angels in the dog park.

Here's advice my grandpa gave my dad, my dad gave me, and I've given my kids (it's a two parter):
Part 1 - In the winter find a big, empty, snowy parking lot and hoon till your heart is content. E-brake turns, rockford turns, anything else. You'll learn a LOT about car control

I still do this the first good snow after I buy a new vehicle. Good to know how it will respond in an emergency rather than finding out in an emergency.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/8/21 1:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

Actually, it is on the right side.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/21 2:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Stampie said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

Actually, it is on the right side.

Left is right and right is wrong.

www.instantrimshot.com

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
12/8/21 2:20 p.m.

Odds are strong that they will crunch their first car.  Something safe and cheap and fairly underpowered is a good choice.  Taurus, Accord, Altima, etc...

Some local tool on our Cars-N-Coffee group posted last week about buying his 16 year old grandson a new Tesla S Plaid.   He got flamed for days before deleting the post.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/8/21 2:29 p.m.

Unsolicited parenting advise. 

a young woman's shorts should be longer than her Cho cha 

now get off my lawn

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/8/21 2:52 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

Isn't the bigger problem that they are upside down?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/8/21 3:24 p.m.

My youngest pretty much learned how to drive in this on an autocross course. I can't think of any car a kid shouldn't drive. This is him, with his learner's permit and his sister. 

208526024_4353252158029107_4391462438877502174_n.jpg

daeman
daeman Dork
12/8/21 3:33 p.m.

What's all this then?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/8/21 3:40 p.m.

I imagine it would be a bad idea to drive a convertible or open-top car in Australia as they provide no protection against dropbears  cheeky

Likewise you wouldn't want to drive anything doorless with low ride height as a venomous snake or insect could easily jump in and attack you when the car is stopped.

daeman
daeman Dork
12/8/21 3:49 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Why do you think I always include Vegemite in my nyg gifts.... it doubles as dropbear repellent

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/8/21 4:47 p.m.

I've tried (unsuccessfully) several times to insert the GIF of that guy boxing a kangaroo that had his dog in a headlock.  

If you're still reading, FWIW, I created this thread as a joke...in response to another thread that was hijacked with discussion about teen driving regulations in Australia. 

With that said, good work. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/21 4:58 p.m.

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia."

daeman
daeman Dork
12/8/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

This one?

SV EX
SV EX MegaDork
12/8/21 5:42 p.m.

No amphibicars. 

Alligators and all that...

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/8/21 6:03 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

Yes...that's the one...except with one slight addition:

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/8/21 6:23 p.m.

I believe there are several different levels of licence dependant on size of engine and transmission type actually

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/21 7:32 p.m.
Duke said:

Never stick your hootus in "crazy"

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/9/21 8:07 a.m.

How did we manage to have this thread stay around for several days without the obvious suggestion?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
12/9/21 2:44 p.m.

Try not to make the news. The bad outcomes heavily outweigh the few good ones.

daeman
daeman Dork
12/9/21 2:48 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:

Never stick your hootus in "crazy"

When I nearly lost the tip of my finger I got told "never stick your finger somewhere you wouldn't stick your hootus"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lU52F1z9vOn7O1URoYvPp3kAEzQ4Zee4N0GJ0nbRzf0IbHtJOi8jB995WGC8zX4w