1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/3/21 8:31 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/3/21 8:42 p.m.

Goddamn that dude is the definition of calm under pressure. 

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
5/3/21 10:47 p.m.

Armored vehicle did its job. 

Probably not the first time driver has been on the receiving end of rounds. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
5/4/21 1:24 a.m.

Where was this? I'm thinking it might be a great place to take off my vaycay list...

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/4/21 1:42 a.m.

South Africa 

Caught this on YT the other day

That is one cool character there

I can see a movie gig in his future

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
5/4/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

This is exactly the reason my family left South Africa 11 years ago. Crime, corruption, violence is all out of control. Unfortunately this isn't a rare occurrence. What is rare is the driver/passenger getting away and surviving. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/21 8:47 a.m.
Jay_W said:

Where was this? I'm thinking it might be a great place to take off my vaycay list...

Pretoria. There are a number of news articles on this. 

The driver is ex-police tactical force and is a trainer in the tactics he used to get away..........until the end when you can hear him say, "berkeley it" and get out of the vehicle with his rifle to confront the robbers. 

https://www.insider.com/watch-video-shows-armored-cars-crew-in-daring-escape-under-fire-2021-5?fbclid=IwAR3hPaH5gUUHyckJ71fCP1agDisyfrczbhzXleHJSkV84OP5oYx6PfM3ulQ

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/21 8:47 a.m.

I remember seeing armored tank-like vehicles in JoBurgh everywhere. Not just the police use them, people commute in them because its so bad there.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/4/21 8:56 a.m.

Did he get the van stuck at the end?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/21 9:12 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That's what it looks like and then he just gets out to confront them.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/4/21 9:52 a.m.

Tom and I were discussing this video yesterday afternoon. We agreed that if we ran into that driver in a dive bar, we'd just give him our valuables and clothing, and then back away quickly. I think he could kill you just by thinking it.

Margie

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/21 10:31 a.m.

Shot at how many times?  Rammed by two, maybe three vehicles?

The guy epitomizes "Cool under Pressure."!

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
5/4/21 10:36 a.m.

Dude is 100% badass and is underemployed. Should be the head of a large nations' military at least. Codriver cool as a cucumber as well...

Median
Median New Reader
5/4/21 10:36 a.m.

It was a Toyota Landcruiser pickup. 

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
5/4/21 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Median :

damn. i guess upgraded with bulletproof panels/windows? bullet marks match up, so i doubt this is fake...

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/4/21 11:26 a.m.

Speaking of bullet marks,

I am surprised at the robbers targeting accuracy, The hits to the glass say the bullets were "on Target".

Usually they spray lead willy nilly, there would have been fatalities had they not had protection.

Median
Median New Reader
5/4/21 11:36 a.m.

A picture showing some of the door and window protection.

You can see where the armoured plate extends past the standard door opening. The thickness of the window is also visible

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/4/21 11:41 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/21 11:53 a.m.
Jay_W said:

Dude is 100% badass and is underemployed. Should be the head of a large nations' military at least. Codriver cool as a cucumber as well...

Yep. He seems more annoyed that the company will make him pay for the damage to the truck than in fear for his life. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/4/21 12:31 p.m.
WillG80 said:

In reply to Jay_W :

This is exactly the reason my family left South Africa 11 years ago. Crime, corruption, violence is all out of control. Unfortunately this isn't a rare occurrence. What is rare is the driver/passenger getting away and surviving. 

My uncle is from johannesburg? And he said the same thing. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/4/21 12:47 p.m.
Median said:

That explains how he was able to actually drive the thing aggressively. My brain was imagining a typical US armored truck and amazed that it was possible to complete any avoidance driving.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
5/4/21 12:58 p.m.
MrJoshua said:
Median said:

That explains how he was able to actually drive the thing aggressively. My brain was imagining a typical US armored truck and amazed that it was possible to complete any avoidance driving.

yeah, for a second i was wondering how an armored truck was able to burn rubber...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/4/21 7:42 p.m.

One of my many jobs over the years was working on process improvements for Chubb security. They owned a private police force( the real police in za don't really respond so you pay these guys to show up armed to drive away burglars) they also owned cash van businesses in za and oz. 

My boss at the time was like, go through the indicent reports to see if you can find process improvements.  It took me 4 days to read a months wor of reports.  It was ummm eye opening.  What we saw in that video is like a weekly or daily occursnce in South Africa. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/5/21 11:25 a.m.

Question of curiosity:  What exactly are the police for / what do they actually do in SA?

Regarding the video: I am not sure those tires are bullet proof.  It's probably a good thing the robbers did not shoot out the tires rather then try and kill the driver (through bullet proof glass).  

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
5/5/21 7:01 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

They pull you over for something unimportant, then wait for you to bribe them. Or threaten to take you to the police station. Somewhere you do not want to be in SA. Corruption is widespread among government agencies in SA. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zutmg25h11wcrpzbX2p0oHSF7HiuC6HJYvC1nywo0txPh2IQDpBJyJ6AHavv5sfF