1 2
stroker
stroker Dork
6/24/13 6:15 p.m.

Use a black light to find it, clean the carpet then pull it up and seal the concrete and replace the pad, right?

gotta get rid of the cat, too, of course....

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
6/24/13 6:16 p.m.

Enzyme cleaner.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
6/24/13 6:39 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Basically, here's what we went through a few years ago (It's Pirate4x4 colorful language and possible avatars you might not want your boss to see): http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/824387-cat-piss.html

We had the whole house's carpet pulled up, threw away the pad, cleaned (bleached) the concrete slab, then sealed the slab with Kilz, put down new pad, reinstalled original carpet, then had the carpet professionally cleaned.

Before any of that we wasted a couple day's rental plus deodorizers for a Rug Dr. Also several treatments of the deodorizer vacuum powder. Only thing that worked was getting rid of the pad, and sealing the slab.

We don't live at the place linked in that thread anymore, haven't for several years, but we didn't have any issues after all of the work described above.

• Lee
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
6/24/13 7:42 p.m.

Problem solved:

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/24/13 7:50 p.m.

Usually cutting its balls off will keep it from happening again.

nocones
nocones Dork
6/24/13 8:07 p.m.

=new laminate flooring.

Do not tempt the beast with carpet again.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/24/13 8:22 p.m.

if it's a frequent spot you'll need to go down to encapsulating the sub floor (or replacing it) to prevent future odor...

if it's light you can saturate the area with a commercial grade enzyme cleaner...

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
6/24/13 9:25 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Usually cutting its balls off will keep it from happening again.

Well, that stops one that marks its place with scent. But random pissing is generally a behavioural (mental problem). Really hard to deal with.

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
6/24/13 9:39 p.m.

cat piss ruins laminate too.

kick cat out of house. removal of carpet, bleach application to subfloor, seal with kilz, new floor, no cats in house.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/25/13 8:23 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Usually cutting its balls off will keep it from happening again.

No always. Our Male's nads were snipped as soon as possible. He's 10 now and when he gets pissed off he will occasionally still do it. I tried everything in one corner (stone fireplace and wood floor), but the smell lingered even with enzyme cleaners, bleach etc. My Niece suggested apple cider vinegar. It's a miracle and seems to kill the smell instantly and permanently better than anything else you can find.

I also use a product called 'urine off' for when the dog has accidents on the carpeted areas.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/25/13 9:47 a.m.

I've been lucky that the few times our cats have pissed anywhere beside the box, it's been on a shirt or blanket, something I can wash/throw out.

I freaking hate cats. We have three. Well, my wife has three.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/25/13 10:19 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I freaking hate cats.

Says the guy with a cat in his avatar

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
6/26/13 12:16 a.m.

To stop them from expelling urine in a particular area, clean it with lemon juice (liberally dump it on the spot and areas close to it) and then use a shop vac or carpet shampooer to pick up the lemon juice. Cats hate the smell of Lemon Juice...

Then place a bowl of food directly on that spot. Routinely let their primary food bowl go empty then force them to eat out of the other bowl. When the piss area bowl is almost empty fill their primary food bowl. And repeat this process.

Cats don't like to E36 M3 /piss where they eat .

stroker
stroker Dork
6/26/13 7:08 a.m.
drsmooth wrote: To stop them from expelling urine in a particular area, clean it with lemon juice (liberally dump it on the spot and areas close to it) and then use a shop vac or carpet shampooer to pick up the lemon juice. Cats hate the smell of Lemon Juice... Then place a bowl of food directly on that spot. Routinely let their primary food bowl go empty then force them to eat out of the other bowl. When the piss area bowl is almost empty fill their primary food bowl. And repeat this process. Cats don't like to E36 M3 /piss where they eat .

I checked the suspect area with a black light and couldn't find any significant glowing spots. I have a feeling there's a different spot that I can't find yet. The smell is bad when it's humid. When you say "lemon juice" you're talking fresh squeezed lemons? The suspect area is about 10'x3'. That's going to require a whole lot of lemons. Will "real lemon" concentrate work, do you know?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
6/26/13 7:56 a.m.

When the urine dries, the Urea crystalizes. (Hence the term, pot to piss in. Google it.) Most liquid-cleaners and even very humid days will re-activate it and you will get the smell. The only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the Urea completely.

If you have cheap padding, meaning that there is no top membrane, the urine will soak into the pad and it must be replaced. There is no other option.

If you have top-quality padding, it may be pooling on top of the padding and staying in the backing of your carpet. Despite what the Sham-Wow guy says, nothing will suck up spills through carpeting. You have to get to the back of it and clean it properly.

Enzyme cleaners work by neutralizing the urea, but it has to reach down to it. Again, lifting the carpeting is a good idea.

As for the source of the problem (and let me preaface this by saying that I have two cats and I love them) cats are essentially free, so there no reason to get stuck with a defective one.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
6/26/13 8:04 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: 'urine off'

That sounds like something a overly polite Brit would say when he's been cut off in traffic.

Sorry, carry on.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/26/13 10:45 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: I freaking hate cats.
Says the guy with a cat in his avatar

Touche.

I forgot that was my avatar, haha. It's still the funniest meme I've ever seen.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
6/27/13 11:44 a.m.

In reply to stroker:

It can be fresh or concentrated although concentrated is way cheaper.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
6/27/13 11:55 a.m.

So that's why it sometimes smells like cat piss in cat peoples houses... sometimes bird and reptile rooms are pretty bad as well.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/27/13 12:04 p.m.

Cats also pee outside the box (like thinking) when they're sick. (Says the guy with 4 at the moment and fiancee manages 2 vet clinics...)

stroker
stroker Dork
6/27/13 12:15 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Cats also pee outside the box (like thinking) when they're sick. (Says the guy with 4 at the moment and fiancee manages 2 vet clinics...)

Ask your fiancee why the cat would poop on the carpet but pee in the litter box?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/27/13 12:20 p.m.

The only real cure is prevention.

• Never let cats in your house.
  • Never let your Korean friends use the microwave.
  • Never use 20' hornet killer spray in your attic if you have a forced air system.
Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/27/13 1:13 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Ha ha, will do tonight, if I remember.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/27/13 1:57 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Problem solved:

How sad is it this was my first thought?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
6/29/13 1:19 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: .....My Niece suggested apple cider vinegar. It's a miracle and seems to kill the smell instantly and permanently better than anything else you can find.....

So, how do you administer this? If you read my "build thread" (lol) you know that I bought an animal lovers car and even though I've shampooed the carpets and cleaned and pulled everything up the smell will not go away! Do you scrub the affected areas or do you just let it soak up the smell in the air?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dVjxg7xhPhSjCWCd01UanerQkHF42Krqyqc31OlsurSaWMwiuEKn8hWcKAQNbYp6