1 2
KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
7/22/15 12:39 p.m.

Even cats know that Miata is the answer.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/22/15 1:10 p.m.

That's actually, "Watch me warm my belly on the black surface, right before I shred it with my claws!" Cats cannot be trusted. My opinion might be slightly biased since I decided that today was "bring your tiny defenseless parrot to work" day as he supervised working in the greenhouse

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/22/15 2:07 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM: What an awesome day for the bird!

The cats figured out quickly to stay off my Miata via blast of water from a hose.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/22/15 2:32 p.m.

My cats get all over my cars, some pretty valuable. They have decent covers on them and have never been damaged, so I'm cool with it. Larry prefers the numbers matching 71 Chevelle 454ss, while Gwinnie is partial to air cooled 911s.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/15 2:43 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Defenseless?! A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. Defenseless is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
7/22/15 2:43 p.m.

Haha, there was a white cat that used to sleep on my old soft-top e30... I never caught him, but the top was black.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
7/22/15 2:45 p.m.

On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/22/15 2:49 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

That's what I try to believe when I look at the paw prints all over the Mini and GT6...

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
7/22/15 2:50 p.m.

Miatas really pull in the Bob Costas

Somebody had to say it!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/22/15 2:56 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to JoeyM: *Defenseless?!* A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. *Defenseless* is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.

There are big species for which that's certainly true[+] but this is a little Hahn's macaw. He can certainly nip and draw blood if he feels like it - which is why I tell people to not try to touch him - but is too little to do major damage.

--
[+] - someone I know who keeps parrots told me that he once saw a hyacinth macaw bite through chain link. It makes sense; one of their favorite foods is brazil nuts, and you need some force to open those things.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/22/15 3:03 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

True, I've had no more chewed wiring in my shop since the kitties moved in. However, I routinely walk out to dead squirrels, birds, and mice, so have to clean that mess up.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/22/15 3:58 p.m.

I know this has been posted here before, but it just needs to be in this thread. Blackey McLaser-eyes

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/22/15 4:05 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to JoeyM: *Defenseless?!* A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. *Defenseless* is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.
There are big species for which that's certainly true[+] but this is a little Hahn's macaw. He can certainly nip and draw blood if he feels like it - which is why I tell people to not try to touch him - but is too little to do major damage. --

Sounds like my conure. She is very sweet and will sit on my shoulders and neck for hours.. Preening my hair and ears.. But not even I can get a finger near her beak.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/22/15 6:07 p.m.

I should have taken a photo, but the other morning I found some locked-up paw prints on the wagon's windshield.

travellering
travellering Reader
7/22/15 6:53 p.m.

This is what the neighbor's Bob Costas has done to the car cover on our SAAB convertible.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
7/22/15 11:12 p.m.

Gary, one of the cats that used to live next-door, always enjoyed lounging in my red Miata.

He never really cared for the Mariner Blue or white one. I have no idea why. photo Picture042.jpg

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/23/15 7:00 a.m.

The barn cats like to get into the crown vic when I leave the windows just a few inches down. Quite impressive. They like the bodily-fluid-resistant vinyl rear seats.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/23/15 7:30 a.m.

Here's Nitro helping from the hood of my Marq.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/23/15 8:04 a.m.

My cat has a cat door to the garage, and often sleeps on my motorcycle seat. One night she got a little ill and vomited from the seat, all down one side of the bike.
Cat Vomit 1
Then she decided that it looked kinda cool, and proceeded to turn around and vomit all down the other side. Yuck.

Cat Vomit 1

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/23/15 8:56 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

bet that smelled excellent burning off the pipe.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/23/15 9:03 a.m.

My cats like the high-altitude hurling thing, too.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
7/23/15 9:04 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Oh man. That is terrible. Also the cats in my dad's shop are pretty annoying when it comes to tracking crap on the cars. However, sometimes it actually looks like they did their part to clean some. That's when you know you need to get to some spring cleaning.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/23/15 2:06 p.m.

One of the neighborhood cats has taken to laying on my Miata's soft top. Yesterday she ripped the corner of the window out.

Time to try a repair with some Marine Goo.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/23/15 3:49 p.m.
travellering wrote: This is what the neighbor's Bob Costas has done to the car cover on our SAAB convertible.

That kind of cover degrades in the sun after about two years regardless.

travellering
travellering Reader
7/23/15 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Any recommendations for better ones? We have a slight car hoarding problem, and currently have three Citroens, the aforementioned SAABvertible 900, an SPG, a 9000, and a classic mini currently needing all-weather protection..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yaMQpn3AADNBwFyBF417bVECPPHQqKDTbkwQGBrbEFvRjj6csVDwAlsCNdwBVgUd