1 2
Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/7/13 6:01 p.m.

Pretty tough choice. On paper, the Audi is clearly the better buy - it's almost $20 grand cheaper, has AWD and with rear seats folded down, the hatch adds some decent cargo space. But the Cayman, holy hell, makes my heart sing. Damn I want that car.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-audi-tt-rs-vs-porsche-cayman-s/

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
9/7/13 7:32 p.m.

The RS uses that sexy 5 pot but it is REALLY hard not to love a flat six at full song. Plus, the dynamics are in favor of the Cayman (IMO). Both are awesome and way out of my league.

This is the first TT I have actually given two E36 M3s about.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/7/13 7:57 p.m.

Like I can afford either? I'd take the Audi.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
9/7/13 8:01 p.m.

The closest I'll get to either is probably playing Forza, but I'd definitely take the Cayman.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/7/13 8:16 p.m.

Cayman FTW!

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
9/7/13 10:01 p.m.

Lesley, you lead a pretty rough life - not sure how you cope, but thanks for sharing

singleslammer wrote: This is the first TT I have actually given two E36 M3s about.

Amen! And the mags say it's also quicker round the track than the V8 verision of the R8... but I'd still prefer the Cayman S in my driveway.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/7/13 10:29 p.m.

That was a tough job. But I was happy to make the sacrifice.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/8/13 7:37 a.m.

Long as I'm not paying for it or have to maintain it, gimme the Cayman. I heart mid motor cars.

And yeah Lesley's got it tough.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
9/8/13 7:46 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Long as I'm not paying for it or have to maintain it, gimme the Cayman. I heart mid motor cars. And yeah Lesley's got it tough.

I bet the Cayman will be downright reliable and maintenance free compared to the TT. Porches has consistently been rated one of the most reliable auto makers in Europe. The 911 is to thank for that.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/8/13 8:35 a.m.

The Cayman is a nicer driving experience. The TT RS feels like you're in a squashed New Beetle.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/8/13 9:57 a.m.

I have no good experiences with Audi products reliability or longevity but since they depreciate like stones sink... I'd be willing to try a new TT in 3 years when it's a $14k car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
9/8/13 10:27 a.m.

Neither are remotely in my price range or the kind of car I'd usually go for...but if I could afford them I'd go for the Porsche. Looks FAR better, handles better, less "computer assisted driving."

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/8/13 10:32 a.m.

I also would go for the Cayman. While it costs more, it would likely hold its value far better than the Audi. I also imagine it would be more fun to drive.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/8/13 11:45 a.m.

The Audi is actually quite fun to drive - but holy hell is that suspension harsh over rough roads. I loved the shifter and clutch - but the steering is too boosted for my liking. I prefer a little heft. I loved the previous Cayman but this one is even better. I would sell body parts to own one.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/8/13 11:52 a.m.

What's the point of a car comparison when you can tell what the outcome will be?

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/8/13 11:56 a.m.

It was a tough comparo - the Audi has more space, more power, all wheel drive, and was 20 grand cheaper. For me though, the telepathic contact of the Cayman made it the better car. Seriously though, I sure wouldn't complain if someone gave me the TT RS, it's a riot.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/8/13 12:45 p.m.

Straight 5s (does anybody make a V5?) make an unholy, spine tingly sound when at redline and full throttle.

The Flat six though... is sublime.

As capable as the Audi was.. I would not even think twice about getting into the Cayman

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/8/13 1:21 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Straight 5s (does anybody make a V5?) make an unholy, spine tingly sound when at redline and full throttle.

Ony if you have the right manifolding on them.

An old 10v Audi mostly sounds like half a Viper. One of my friends said my Quantum sounded like an old 8-bit video game.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/8/13 3:51 p.m.

I can only say that the 5 cylinder in my old Volvo 850 was the most enthusastic part of that car. It had "the sound"

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/8/13 5:27 p.m.

Never been a big fan of the TT. It's a Golf or Beetle Convertible. I think Audi would be better of making a cheap, smaller R8 called the "R6" or something.

The Cayman is really a lighter 911.

I've never felt the TT captures the heart of the Audi's past supercars.

This is closer:

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/8/13 5:38 p.m.

The regular TT, perhaps. The TT RS is honestly a terrific car. I've been lucky enough to take one home three times now, if Porsches didn't exist I'd be perfectly happy with the Audi.

The inline five does have a raspy bark, but after a while it does tend to drone on.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
9/9/13 1:51 p.m.

Even though its a touch choice, the cheapass and utility side of me is coming out and I'd pick the TT due to the cheaper price, the usable hatch and three pedals.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
9/9/13 2:09 p.m.

Give me a stripped down Cayman S at 20k cheaper. Now the choice isn't hard at all.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/9/13 2:29 p.m.

My wife and I had this conversation so many times. We ended up with a 911.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/9/13 2:36 p.m.

I think ending up in a 911 would be an okay consolation. Damn, I loved the 7-speed Carerra 4S I had a couple of weeks ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K3Es4Q8DHGgpn2PcuzKl7OI9SEPpsAd4pTlsJa1SszXZ9ULyxjfcmIrYgJWdquZp