1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
8/28/19 7:04 a.m.

Gronk announced today that he is a major CBD supporter. I find it interesting that CBD provided him with no pain relief during his years of playing in the NFL, where openly using cannabis products was banned. But as soon as he retired and needs income from endorsement deals, suddenly it's miracle juice that changed his life. I'm not doubting the efficacy of CBD, just the sincerity of people paid to promote it. Is it the Beanie Babies of 2019? Time will tell. Heck, if it cures insomnia I am all for it!  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/28/19 7:26 a.m.

I doubt the sincerity of any paid promoter. No matter what they are selling. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/28/19 7:56 a.m.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this stuff works. Im VERY hesitant to try, as ppt always made me thirsty for alcohol, and alcohol usually landed me in jail. However, it is touted as a miracle fpr migraines. 

Do we have any other recovering addicts/alcoholics here that have tried it?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/28/19 8:11 a.m.

One comment on Gronk: Supposedly, he hasn't spent one dime of his NFL salary and has been living off endorsements. I also believe that this is actually a real endorsement. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/28/19 8:15 a.m.

CBD is the new Essential Oils with the same stay-at-home moms peddling another pyramid sch-sorry...."multi-level marketing upside down funnel system" to their friends on Facebook and spamming local swap groups.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
8/28/19 8:35 a.m.

Duster, You will never be able to tell that you took it. I take 15 drops in the am and 15 in the pm. No mind altering at all or cravings. What happened with me was my neck pain eased after time and my wife noticed that I was in a better mood for longer. No euphoria involved. Edit: We had a pretty long discussion on here not too long ago with good info if you can find it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
8/28/19 8:42 a.m.

I use a CBD rub for muscle recovery after hard workouts like the 22 miles I did this weekend. It does help me shorten the recovery cycle. I do happen to seem a little less anxiety when it's on but that is totally a side effect. I've never had any weird cravings or thoughts while using it. 

Is it over hyped....Probably. It does seem a little snake oilish but for my one purpose, the rub I use with CBD in it helps. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
8/28/19 8:45 a.m.

Next up, Andrew luck!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/28/19 8:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this stuff works. Im VERY hesitant to try, as ppt always made me thirsty for alcohol, and alcohol usually landed me in jail. However, it is touted as a miracle fpr migraines. 

CBD and THC are two very different chemicals. 

You can lotions/creams with CBD to help with inflammation, pain, etc, that don't have THC...........which is the fun one. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/28/19 9:19 a.m.

Gronk endorsement.  

Hahahhahahahhahahahhahahahaha

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/28/19 10:01 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

....Heck, if it cures insomnia I am all for it!  

I don't know about cure all, but I have used it a bit.  Just occasionally and in reduced recommended doses to help sleep. It seems to stop the "busy mind can't sleep" thing and does seem to make for a better nights sleep.  It also appears to help with anxiety / nervousness (I let someone else try it).

It is possible (and probably likely) some of it's reported effects are placebo effects, but if it is, and you are not paying too much, who cares, it's working for you.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
8/28/19 11:25 a.m.

Epidiolex (an FDA approved anti-epilepsy-drug) is made of it. It works for relaxing brain activity, try to relax whatever the berkeley you want with it.

Just tell um I said it was OK.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/28/19 2:27 p.m.

"Sockets" the eyeless Collie recommends the chicken flavor.    

I fully trust her endorsement.   

(We have seen a marked improvement in her mobility; she hadn't gone up the stairs to the second floor in over a month before we started giving her the CBD, and now she is back to her silly self again)

_
_ HalfDork
8/28/19 6:03 p.m.

We have a relative that’s always involved in the “fruitcake pyramid”. She came peddling some of this “magical elixir” of the hippies. It was $85 for a can of this lotion. I told her to put her money where her mouth is and buy me a can for free. Then, if I like it, I’ll buy more. 

Guess what? Having tried it several times, I can confirm its bull hockey. CBD don’t work like THC. Guess it not like the drug dealer days, where “your first hit is free”. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
8/28/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Well since they're two entirely different cannibinoids, you're really comparing apples to oranges there

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
8/29/19 1:03 a.m.

I find there is one CBD topical cream that works on some stuff very well. That stuff being knees and hands. Issues that aren't too deep. Low back, not so much. But when I've worked my hands wrists and forearms too much, it do seem to help. 

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/29/19 5:33 a.m.

Since it has become legal in Canada, I've learned that there's a pile of different types and "strains" of cannabis which can cause and relieve several physical and mental situations. It's too wild west right now and I don't believe all CBD products can possibly be equal - or even similar.  I don't use CBD anything but my brother responds well to it for pain management.

I use a popular indica strain of "dried flower"  in the evening and I sleep like a drunk baby angel. It's also helped a LOT with my anxiety, which I take a real medication for too. But it does little to nothing for my neck/shoulder situation. I used a different type before that would almost instantly make my ache go away, but wasn't a great choice for anything else. That is, it wouldn't get a fly high. cheeky

TJL
TJL Reader
8/29/19 6:14 a.m.

As for celebrity endorsements, i think nothing of them. They will endorse anything for $. 

As for the cbd, until its properly regulated and i guess taken more seriously, i wouldnt judge it much. Too many people just trying to sell something. Every gas station and corner store has it. 

Ive never used cbd only, but i have found the “whole plant” to be quite helpful. 

I have herniated discs, bulged discs and pinched nerves. Im usually ok but the back damage can take over and im stuck in bed. The masseuse i use has some thc infused rub. Ive gotten on her table unable to stand upright and after the massage and thc rub, i literally couldnt feel ANYTHING in my lower back. I was standing upright, getting around great, no pain. 

Im glad to see people willing to try cbd and not just write it off as just “dope”, but the real medical benefits come with whole plant. 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
8/29/19 7:38 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I have migraines too and at times would take nearly anything to make it stop. I'd give it a try and see if it works for you, I haven't tried it myself.

I have used a CBD cream on a neck strain and it did lessen the pain for a bit

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/19 8:24 a.m.
TJL said:

As for celebrity endorsements, i think nothing of them. They will endorse anything for $. 

As for the cbd, until its properly regulated and i guess taken more seriously, i wouldnt judge it much. Too many people just trying to sell something. Every gas station and corner store has it. 

Ive never used cbd only, but i have found the “whole plant” to be quite helpful. 

I have herniated discs, bulged discs and pinched nerves. Im usually ok but the back damage can take over and im stuck in bed. The masseuse i use has some thc infused rub. Ive gotten on her table unable to stand upright and after the massage and thc rub, i literally couldnt feel ANYTHING in my lower back. I was standing upright, getting around great, no pain. 

Im glad to see people willing to try cbd and not just write it off as just “dope”, but the real medical benefits come with whole plant. 

I agree with everything you wrote here. I've seen success with CBD - anecdotal, obviously, but a friend who couldn't do much of anything physical due to his back is now playing hockey and golf again, his medicine is CBD. Not sure if it is topical or ingested or what, but he said it is straight CBD. He also goes to a CBD dispensary. The only thing they sell is CBD. I went in there once, and the guy working there seemed extremely knowledgeable and not full of E36 M3. I didn't buy anything, because I had no want for anything there, but I was looking around and they seem to be at least monitoring all of them and testing for potency - which is more than you got from Kyle, the kid who lived in the dorm 4 floors above yours.

I may or may not have enjoyed whole plant in the past, and may or may not have found it to be the only thing that helped me sleep for a solid 3 months. This is also where there are different strands that come into play - it wasn't like what I remember from college, this stuff that I may or may not have partaken in basically just made me sleepy. 

In any case, we hear about it being a miracle drug. It isn't. It has beneficial properties, and probably many beneficial properties, but the thing that leaves me apprehensive is that there are no long term studies on it. What are its toxic properties? Because I guarantee you it has them, whether it is inhaled or ingested. Just like any drug. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
8/29/19 9:16 a.m.

I've tried the oil, and it had zero effect on me. The creams sound like they might help, but based on what I'm reading in this thread, their effect is temporary and superficial. I can get that from Icy Hot, which is available anywhere and costs WAY less than a CBD cream. So you can put me solidly in the skeptical column.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/29/19 11:46 a.m.

I was a skeptic, but doing research on trying to help my wife with her fibromyalgia problems, CBD kept coming up. I did some research on what the best brands were and it was impossible to figure out, but I bought some from a friend on Facebook (who's no doubt part of said triangle plan). It wasn't cheap, but my wife has really reacted well to it. 

The bottle I bought ran out and she has since bought some other brand from a local health food store. She says it doesn't seem to be as good as the stuff I bought, but it's helping her. I think I might try it soon. The biggest thing with her has the constant soreness all over her body is gone and she is sleeping like a log. Now I'm tossing and turning which I never did before. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
8/29/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

He probably didn't make any pro comments on it because he was still in the league and didn't need any attention from Goodell to suspend him

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/29/19 6:32 p.m.
Dootz said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

He probably didn't make any pro comments on it because he was still in the league and didn't need any attention from Goodell to suspend him

He retired. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/8/19 2:24 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

No dude, I'm saying that the reason he's only now starting to make pro-comments about marijuana is because if he said it while he was still playing, Goodell might have thought he was using something and gotten suspended over it

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fmH3WzEgVS8Iu893H85beiz2jkMTyUdzA2Vms2E4yAYQkN2UxRjo3LebNLprARgi