1 2
N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/19/11 3:44 p.m.

I've stuck with AT&T because the service is good and when I get an American on the phone, the problems get fixed right away. I get an American about 90% of the time. My cellular, home internet, and TV are all through AT&T. I'm happy with them although there are cheaper options.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/19/11 4:13 p.m.

I can honestly say that i've gotten an American ONCE on the phone when i called ATT. And i've called over 40 times in the last two months.

Not happy.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
9/19/11 5:23 p.m.

I have called ATT several times over the past few months because of moving and consolidating two accounts into one. Got an American every time, I think they were all black women for that matter. Always very efficient and helpful for me. I thing ATT's service level must be geographical, in the SE they are great IMHO.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/20/11 7:13 a.m.

well, I think we may go out on a limb and stop into a Tmobile store tonight. I spent a lot of time googling, and searching forums etc for T mobile gossip, and I think it is a good option. It would appear that if I get a free phone, or very cheap, and they go under, Im just stuck with a phone, and now I need to find a new provider. Im ok with that. Thanks for everyones input!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
9/20/11 7:52 a.m.

TMobile won't "go under," it'll just be Cingular all over again.

EvanB wrote: My Virgin Mobile coverage is pretty good in Ohio, even small towns. Not quite as good a Verizon but at least half the price.

Sprint Network.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/20/11 8:46 a.m.

I was blissfully ignorant regarding the fist "Cingular" event...please explain...

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
9/20/11 7:30 p.m.

I'm Verizon. I did the same thing several years ago when a friend gave me a Blackberry from Sprint. I was surprised at how easy mine was to switch. I walked into a Sprint store and said, "my friend gave me this - how do I use it with Verizon?"

He came out a few minutes later and said, "there you go - unlocked." Maybe I just got lucky.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/20/11 7:34 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: He came out a few minutes later and said, "there you go - unlocked." Maybe I just got lucky.

When I worked for RadioShack, I was more interested in keeping customers rather than doing what the company wanted. I know the difference between right and wrong, some "rules" the companies come up with are completely unethical.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/11 8:39 a.m.

Well, after reading some T-mobile fine print and looking at the details, they may not be the carrier for us, so Im back to this phone dealey-o. I finally got the afore mentioned free phone the other day...swapping cards was a no go. The phone is an LG Vu (CU920). From what I can tell from teh googelz, LG phones locked into the ATT network require a code to be "generated" to unlock the phone. I guess its something like this:

• Pay $25 to Albanians
  • Albanians generate code
  • Remove "good" card from phone and turn on
  • Wizardry and black magic
  • Shake like etch-a-sketch
  • enter code
  • Go on about your merry way with your now unlocked LG phone

So, how do I know Im not gonna get taken? Do I go see Apu now? Theres a bazillion websites offering to sell unlock codes for LG phones, but they all look like they just recently removed the text about Russian mail order brides and inserted pictures of phones into their site. Sketchy is an understatement.

Maybe, Like Curtis, I will stop by my provider and see if they will hook a brutha up...other suggestions? Perhaps this "free Phone" is a bit like a free Europa...this is becoming frustrating.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/8/11 9:15 a.m.

I'm Wiccan, so when it comes to the black magick, hit me up.

Talk to Apu in the mall. That way you have a face to punch when its a scam.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/8/11 9:26 a.m.

Yes, go see Apu.
In your area, especially see that Apu sells Cinci Bell since he will be very versed in unlocking gsm handsets.
Expect some sort of service fee such as $20 to unlock the phone. If Apu is not successful then no pay.

Edit: I was not familiar with the model so I did a little research.
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1378
The reviews of that model are far less than favorable. Most complaints seem to surround the responsiveness of the touch screen. Being that is was first FCC approved in late 2007 this is likely a 2008 phone and therefore 3 years old. The electronics business is like dog years so that baby may be pretty old. If you are going to pay $20 to get this one working you may be wise to just look into the new handsets being offered for less than $50.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/5/11 3:21 p.m.

Well, just to follow up, after some researching and a little anxious sweating, I bit the bullet and ordered an unlock code from http://www.cellunlocker.net/ - the site seemed legit, and I had a little cash floating around Paypal, so I gave it a shot.

$8 later, and I now have a phone that had been AT&T specific running on he Cinci Bell Network. No need to pay Apu $35 (thats what he quoted me, so screw you buddy). A bit of horsing around with the guts of the thing, and I now have wireless internet and messaging (I already had these with my account, but the phone didnt want to play nice till I showed it who was boss).

So basically, this phone I got free cost me $8 - a replacement from Cinci bell was gonna be at least $89 for the cheapest hunk of crap off the shelf without signing a contract , plus $30 "activation" (push the "on" button?!?) - and this thing outperforms most of the upper level non-smart phones they offer...Im happy to say the least.

Anyway, I would recommend the Cellunlocker site to anyone looking to unlock their old phone - or specifically an LG Vu (CU920) at least.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
12/7/11 12:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The swap should work. SIM cards are cool like that.
... unless the phone is provider locked. In that case you have to get it unlocked first. The bit about iPhones not being unlockable is a myth that AT&T like to perpetuate, even though Apple will unlock it if the provider gives them the go ahead (I've got an iPhone 3GS with the provider lock officially removed that way). Of course, AT&T won't give the go ahead to unlock a phone...

So did you do this while still in the UK, or did you manage to wrangle it being done at an Apple store here?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/7/11 2:16 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Yes, go see Apu.

Since he's two dimensional, how can he hold the phone? 'Thank you come again'.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/7/11 3:27 p.m.
BAMF wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The swap should work. SIM cards are cool like that.
... unless the phone is provider locked. In that case you have to get it unlocked first. The bit about iPhones not being unlockable is a myth that AT&T like to perpetuate, even though Apple will unlock it if the provider gives them the go ahead (I've got an iPhone 3GS with the provider lock officially removed that way). Of course, AT&T won't give the go ahead to unlock a phone...
So did you do this while still in the UK, or did you manage to wrangle it being done at an Apple store here?

Apparenlty you can buy an unlocked iPhone 4 directly from Apple's website for $600 (when they are in stock anyway...) -

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC603LL/A

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/14/13 5:55 a.m.

Discussion from Dec 7, 2011 ????
Seems to have been brought back to life by a canoe that has already been sunk.
Move along...nothing to see here.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
6/14/13 7:58 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/25/13 4:28 a.m.

Sir, watercraft sighted. Arm the torpedoes

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/13/16 7:37 a.m.

Zombie thread revived by canoe. Since the last several replies have been canoes I am locking this thread.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
NgyRdpTrvsjmfVW3F8E8fzidhs0HdajjEZLnfbjdxOdiDY3Q2HgImF7Mv7wOdow9