Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 12:53 p.m.

Damn.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/21 1:03 p.m.

Drummer for the same band for 58 years.

Faithful husband to the same woman for 57 years.

The man had class, and staying power.  And he once punched Mick in the nose, like he so richly deserved.  Rest now, Charlie.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/24/21 1:07 p.m.

Dang.  I was pretty sure that all of those guys would live forever.  Well, other than Brain Jones, of course.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/24/21 1:30 p.m.

I'm a firm believer that if Keith Richards ever dies it will signal the Apocalypse.  RIP Mr. Watts..

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/24/21 1:46 p.m.

An underrated part of one of the greatest bands of all time. RIP, Charlie, and thanks for the tunes.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/24/21 2:47 p.m.

sad

RIP Charlie Watts.

Glad I got to see him in concert during the 90's.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/24/21 6:00 p.m.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/25/21 12:14 p.m.

As I'm sure many other GRMers who are musicians will agree, the best drummers are often those who don't make a big show of it, they are the solid anchor of the band.  There is a story about Charlie that you could start him playing to a metronome, shut it off, and turn it back on 20 minutes later and Charlie would still be exactly on the beat, which is a lot harder than it sounds.  Not the most visible of the Stones, but a key player, he will be missed.  58 years  with the same top band, now many other players in any genre can match that?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/25/21 1:14 p.m.

Yeah, what a rock. Sad news indeed. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/25/21 1:24 p.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

As I'm sure many other GRMers who are musicians will agree, the best drummers are often those who don't make a big show of it, they are the solid anchor of the band.  There is a story about Charlie that you could start him playing to a metronome, shut it off, and turn it back on 20 minutes later and Charlie would still be exactly on the beat, which is a lot harder than it sounds.  Not the most visible of the Stones, but a key player, he will be missed.  58 years  with the same top band, now many other players in any genre can match that?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/25/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

He was a dapper fellow.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/25/21 5:59 p.m.

"Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my berkelying singer!"

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/25/21 6:59 p.m.

For some reason, have to queue up "Slave" right now.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/25/21 8:11 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Looking at him, you'd never have guessed that he could be so... funky.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/25/21 10:34 p.m.

An interesting thing is he had a small collection of vintage cars, but didn't drive or even have a license.  He also had a large collection of US Civil War memorabilia.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p4tyQ6ArYw8Z96kBAl4OFBgJf2rMy4fjay6xN3UVE7ANOtBYU6702y6WmON5kd7c