1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 12:39 p.m.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/12/blagojevich_arrested_a_fundame.html

Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich was (finally) arrested this morning. I just find it kinda funny, I've always thought the man was scum, something just didn't come off right about him. The funny thing is that when he was campaigning, he said he was going to "clean up" Illinois politics.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/9/08 12:41 p.m.
mtn wrote: The funny thing is that when he was campaigning, he said he was going to "clean up" Illinois politics.

Maybe he meant he'd "clean up" from Illinois politics?

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
12/9/08 12:47 p.m.

Well read sir, well read.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 12:47 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
mtn wrote: The funny thing is that when he was campaigning, he said he was going to "clean up" Illinois politics.
Maybe he meant he'd "clean up" *from* Illinois politics?

He certainly did that. And he certainly wasted tax payers dollars-he didn't want to move his family from Chicago to Springfield, so he would take the private jet every day at a cost of approx. $6000 round trip. Sometimes he would only stay about three hours, too. Keep in mind, this is his 2nd term. The idiots here voted him in twice.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
12/9/08 1:01 p.m.

I love Chicago/ Illinois organized crime....errr... I mean politics.

Nothing beats Richie Daley bulldozing Meig's Field in the middle of the night though. That was priceless!

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x.html

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/9/08 1:24 p.m.

Well of course he was crooked, I mean the guy looks like one of the countless fist-fodder thugs from Batman: The Animated Series

I'm sorry but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw him with his cartoonishly huge jaw

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 1:26 p.m.

I always thought he looked like some sort of chimpanzee.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/9/08 1:43 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I love Chicago/ Illinois organized crime....errr... I mean politics. Nothing beats Richie Daley bulldozing Meig's Field in the middle of the night though. That was priceless! http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x.html

I heard he named the park after his wife to.

What a douche!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 1:51 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: I love Chicago/ Illinois organized crime....errr... I mean politics. Nothing beats Richie Daley bulldozing Meig's Field in the middle of the night though. That was priceless! http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x.html
I heard he named the park after his wife to. What a douche!

That part is not true

You might wanna be careful insulting him. His goons will come to get you. Kinda funny that this guy consistently wins elections by upwards of 70%.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
12/9/08 2:19 p.m.

Only the best come out of Illinois!

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
12/9/08 2:40 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Well of course he was crooked, I mean the guy looks like one of the countless fist-fodder thugs from Batman: The Animated Series I'm sorry but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw him with his cartoonishly huge jaw

In this photo he looks like cross betwee Charles Bronson and Mike Miers(sp?).

seann
seann Reader
12/9/08 2:58 p.m.

The NY times article says his predecessor is also in jail (corruption and racketeering). Better luck next time Illinois

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
12/9/08 4:38 p.m.

I often wondered whether some of the things I had heard about Chicago politics was exaggeration...guess it wasn't.

Here in Memphis, A LOT of people are hoping the FBI will indict the mayor. He hasn't sold any Senatorial seats, but with just a few changes, he has done many of the things Mr. Blag has done. And like Blag, the mayor keeps getting voting back in. Example? He "sold" a piece of land he owns to a "friend" for $50,000....a year or two later, the friend quit deeds it back for $10 and coincidentally the friend gets an option on a VERY choice piece of downtown real estate. As "fishy" as that is, the friend is from Ca. so why is he so interested in doing a deal here?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 4:46 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I often wondered whether some of the things I had heard about Chicago politics was exaggeration...guess it wasn't.

Its a lot less true now than it was during the 60's-80'sish? ish. But it still is true.

My favorite Daley quote was about people putting milk crates and lawn furniture in spots they had shoveled out.

Mayor Daley wrote: "If someone spends all their time digging their car out, do not drive into that spot. This is Chicago. Fair warning."
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/9/08 5:09 p.m.

Kinda funny that this guy consistently wins elections by upwards of 70%.

That's because he is stilling getting all the dead people's votes, like his dad.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/9/08 8:37 p.m.

All of us in down-state IL have no idea how he got elected twice.

Just this fall he annoucned that since the state was short on $$ he was going to close a large number of state parks. The legislature got together & put together the funds to keep all the parks open, but the Blagojevich closed them anyway.

I'm thinking of printing up some t-shirts saying "Our Governor is more gangsta than your Governor".

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/08 9:04 p.m.

Anyone else think he looks like the Big Boy?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/08 10:59 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Kinda funny that this guy consistently wins elections by upwards of 70%. That's because he is stilling getting all the dead people's votes, like his dad.

No, I really don't think so. People really love Daley, from what I can see. Maybe somebody on the board who actually lives in the city can pipe up here (internetautomart?).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/10/08 5:50 a.m.
mtn wrote: Keep in mind, this is his 2nd term. The idiots here voted him in twice.

Dude. The people of Washington, DC voted Marion Barry back into office after he got out of jail for USING CRACK. After that, nothing stupid in American local politics ever amazed me again.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/10/08 8:18 a.m.

What's with the "hair helmet" on this guy? Is that thing fake? Is sure looks un-natural.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/10/08 8:57 a.m.
Duke wrote:
mtn wrote: Keep in mind, this is his 2nd term. The idiots here voted him in twice.
Dude. The people of Washington, DC voted Marion Barry back into office after he got out of jail for USING CRACK. After that, nothing stupid in American local politics ever amazed me again.

Duke.. I am 100% with you on that one..

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/10/08 11:04 a.m.

It's time to pass Hess' Law.

therex
therex SuperDork
12/10/08 11:09 a.m.

A corrupt Chicago Democrat?

Who'd have thunk?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
12/10/08 11:41 a.m.

Apparently, one of the bidders is being referred to as “Candidate 5” as a result of offering 500K for the seat and there’s some suspicion that it’s Jesse Jackson.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/12/is_jesse_jackson_jr_candidate.php

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/10/08 11:55 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Dude. The people of Washington, DC voted Marion Barry back into office after he got out of jail for USING CRACK WITH A PROSTITUE. After that, nothing stupid in American local politics ever amazed me again.

Fixed that for ya. Really DC and Chicago, wtf?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bIuqcnJnoHg2CKudFaPQnBceB9lC9j6IMWUExU2Qqkteklpgm99Lhyw0esyu8YKZ