1 2 3
Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/21/16 7:41 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: I call Lexus RX trophy cases, as around here they're normally driven by young blonde mothers age 27-34 who are on husband #1 where hubby is age 49-59 silver fox and on wife #2

I E36 M3 you not, there is a newish white RX that lives somewhere near me with a driver who appears exactly as described, sometimes with gray haired man in passenger seat, and a license plate that reads "GRLFRND."

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/21/16 8:46 a.m.

This sort of thing makes me grind my teeth, right along with any mention of taking away my man card. I wonder if the people saying those things are really that insecure in their own sexuality, or if they're stupid enough to think they're being clever.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/21/16 8:59 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

No "or" about it, they are both. I don't think most real car enthusiasts put any stock in certain models being "chick" cars. Not that there would be anything wrong with it if they were... People who say stuff like that are socially mal-adjusted on several levels.

Plus as others have mentioned, it seems that the preferred vehicle of choice of the fairer sex in these parts are SUVs and full-size trucks. I mostly only see dudes in Boxsters and Miatas these days.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/21/16 9:00 a.m.

I'm a former owner of a 91 Miata and a couple of V6 Mustang convertibles, I know all about chick car comments. I also own the C30 which was voted #1 car by several gay websites back when it was new. I know all about gay and chick car jokes. Guess what I'm still cross shopping Boasters, Miatas and convertible Mustangs.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/21/16 9:01 a.m.

The OP is dealing with kids. My impression is they are more interested interested in pushing the buttons of the adults around them than anything else. If it doesn't bother you they will move on to something else.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/21/16 9:17 a.m.

Seriously, does anyone really actually care about their car being called a chick car?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/21/16 9:20 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Seriously, does anyone really actually care about their car being called a chick car?

Only to the degree that I find asinine comments generally irritating and an insult to my peace and intellect.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/21/16 9:21 a.m.

As a guy that drives a baby blue 914, No.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/21/16 9:21 a.m.

Ever notice that it's always the three guys sitting shoulder-to-shoulder in the front seat of a pickup truck who slow down to yell "FAG!" at one guy walking by himself.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/21/16 10:04 a.m.

I figured out the inital reaction to me dragging an old car home is far better if it's something "cute." The Porsche 924, little red Bimmer, and even the Saturn were well received by my mom. The ratty Lincoln Mk VII not so much. So, "girly cars" for the win!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/21/16 10:05 a.m.

Around here it seems anything other than a F-150 is considered a chick car. Yeah, I get tired of it. I would add MINI to list as well. When I had the R53 I got comments all the time about it being a chick car, maybe moreso than the Miata. The number one worst however was my old Impreza, go figure.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/21/16 10:11 a.m.

I don't worry about other people. Most of them are dumb.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/21/16 10:34 a.m.

take it as a compliment. If they feel they have to make a comment, you made an impression. You don't do that driving a Camry

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/21/16 11:03 a.m.

It has always been my experience too that if you drive a "chick" car more women will talk to you randomly in parking lots. My old Fiat 600 was a good example. I never drove it where I didn't end up talking to someone of the opposite sex about it. I got more than a few dates when I took it out. Good reason to have a chick car if you ask me. Of course since I'm married none of this matters.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
4/21/16 12:49 p.m.

When a guy drives a girly car he is either fully gay and confident about it, or fully straight and confident about it.

The ones that bug me are the guys with decked out lifted 4x4s with deer skull stickers and beards spitting chew in the parking lot. It says a lot more about a guy when they feel they need to compensate that hard.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
4/21/16 1:03 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Wait this are the same kids that likely lust after a certain rwd Nissan that only came with a 2.4L truck motor domestically, and they want to talk about chick cars?!?

As someone who races one of these secretary cars I'll have to correct you. The 2.4L KA24E was put in the 240SX when it was debuted in mid 1988 as a 1989 model. That same motor was not put in to the Hardbody truck until 1990. So more like a sportscar (and used in their racecars) motor put into a truck.

That being said, the torque of that motor makes it great on the track and fitting for a truck too.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/21/16 1:25 p.m.

So... if you're bisexual, does that mean that you're supposed to drive a Miata with a Corvette motor?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/21/16 1:27 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: I figured out the inital reaction to me dragging an old car home is far better if it's something "cute." The Porsche 924, little red Bimmer, and even the Saturn were well received by my mom. The ratty Lincoln Mk VII not so much. So, "girly cars" for the win!

Maybe that's why the last thing I dragged home went over so well. Of course she didn't come out and say it was cute.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/21/16 1:33 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: So... if you're bisexual, does that mean that you're supposed to drive a Miata with a Corvette motor?

But only if you're confidently compensating over your orientation.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/21/16 2:25 p.m.

Must be getting old, I thought this thread would have AMC Pacer content.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
4/21/16 2:56 p.m.

As far as I can tell, "girl cars" don't exist any more, because girls want crossovers now. Specifically, CRVs.

M030
M030 Dork
4/21/16 3:12 p.m.
Type Q wrote: The OP is dealing with kids. My impression is they are more interested interested in pushing the buttons of the adults around them than anything else. If it doesn't bother you they will move on to something else.

Spoken for truth!!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/21/16 3:45 p.m.

I live in an area with plenty of openly gay men. You know what "they" drive? The same mix of cars as everyone else.

I have seen a gay man driving a Miata. I have also seen them driving Corvettes, full-size pickup trucks, the whole range of SUV's and upscale (BMW, Lexus, Benz) sedans. Same as everyone else.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/21/16 3:59 p.m.

I kind of enjoy embracing silly automotive stereotypes. Who gives a E36 M3 what other people think? Haters gon' hate, might as well have some fun with them.

If I was the OP, I'd replace my shifter with a comically oversized, flaming pink uh, "marital aid", and roll into the parking lot blasting "I'm a Barbie Girl" every morning.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
4/21/16 4:13 p.m.

Not that a Eagle Wagon 4X4 w/ woodgrain is a chick car but women loved that car for some reason, still unknown to me. Maybe it was a domestication thing. While I was checkin' out a nice lookin' T/A in a pub parkin' lot w/ the GF at the time she says If you showed up in that car you wouldn't even get a handjob offa me.

Go figger.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BIfIVfbShRmoKKVHY5xl3yRXqQmWANhepnrVhHOpPyJD4Rn2QmbzUh2V51Oh7SAL