1 2 3
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
2/5/09 2:48 p.m.

What is the matter with people? Why do they have to mess with nature and have twins/triplets/etc. through fertility doctors/drugs? That article also referenced husbands as "materials to be acquired," just like a house. And moms that only hang out with other moms of twins? I hate people. [/rant]

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
2/5/09 2:51 p.m.

I still regret not going for a mullet for at least a few days when I cut my hair short. It would have been glorious, my hair went more than halfway down my back. Missed opportunities...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/5/09 2:56 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: What is the matter with people? Why do they have to mess with nature and have twins/triplets/etc. through fertility doctors/drugs? That article also referenced husbands as "materials to be acquired," just like a house. And moms that only hang out with other moms of twins? I hate people. [/rant]

Makes me think of Virtual Insanity.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/5/09 2:58 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: What is the matter with people? Why do they have to mess with nature and have twins/triplets/etc. through fertility doctors/drugs? That article also referenced husbands as "materials to be acquired," just like a house. And moms that only hang out with other moms of twins? I hate people. [/rant]

Women enter the workplace. They work for 10-15 years and then the biological clock says "you need kids--NOW".

At 35, having a kid requires fertility drugs in a lot of cases.

Fertility drugs produce twins/multiple births in a lot of cases (like one of my best friends, whose 36 y/o wife is pregnant w/ twins).

In the world of wealthy career women/wealthy couples, kids (usually named w/ stupid soap opera names) are just the next thing in life that they can use to express their ego.

This culture of facebook moms is REALLY starting to grate on me.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/5/09 2:59 p.m.

I have a mohawk on and off NOW.

I go from bald shaved, to short hair with "fauxhawk," to full fledged mohawk. Color changes as my mood.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/09 3:42 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: I still regret not going for a mullet for at least a few days when I cut my hair short. It would have been glorious, my hair went more than halfway down my back. Missed opportunities...

Me too, but replace mullet with dreadlocks. And a few days with a few months. And halfway down my back with to my ass.

gpcaines
gpcaines New Reader
2/5/09 3:43 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: +1 for locks of love.. They've gotten two of mine now, growing the third at the moment. I'll have a ponytail but never, ever grow a "kentucky waterfall" Shawn

I I like to call that haircut the"missouri compromise" or "canadian passport". I do hate to see a child with a "lifestyle" haircut that is too young to choose.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/5/09 3:56 p.m.

^^ Ain't it the truth. We don't see much of that down here, guess we are behind the times.

I grew my hair really long my junior year in HS, this was 1974 and that was the cool thing, plus it bugged the hell out of my parents. It was about a foot below my shoulders. Almost the moment I graduated from high school, I got it all chopped off because I was tired of trying to 'fit in' through my hair. Plus it was hell putting on a motorcycle helmet.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/5/09 4:14 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Your 8-year-old is not an accessory. Thanks.

I don't care about hair, but yeah, I could not agree with this sentiment more.

My nephew has very nice blonde hair, which his mother refuses to cut. She also insist on dressing the boy in the faggy-est little pastel jumpers. The only pair of jean the boy owns was a gift from Uncle Mental and Aunt mental for Xmas. He's 3, constantly mistaken for a girl, which somehow, his mother finds this endearing.

The kids himself is alright. Acts like a boy, gets filthy (which freaks her out) and is usually sporting a scab or two from a run-in with an imovable object.

Now I have no problem with homosexuals or homosexuality, I really don't, but I hate the fact she is trying to turn my nephew into a little fag.

I know, not my kid, STFU, but fashion accesory is the most accurate statement I have heard that describes how she views him.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/5/09 4:54 p.m.

If there are some who were offended by "tard" and "retard" being thrown around, I have issues w/ "fag" being thrown around (and I'm not gay).

That said-- I don't know your nephew's mom is trying to accomplish, but she seems to be hell-bend on really screwing this kid up. Seems like she wanted a girl and is treating her son like one to make up for it. That is really disturbing. Where the hell is the father in this???

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/5/09 5:16 p.m.
gamby wrote: If there are some who were offended by "tard" and "retard" being thrown around, I have issues w/ "fag" being thrown around (and I'm not gay). That said-- I don't know your nephew's mom is trying to accomplish, but she seems to be hell-bend on really screwing this kid up. Seems like she wanted a girl and is treating her son like one to make up for it. That is really disturbing. Where the hell is the father in this???

+1

I'm less bothered by how she may want to dress the kid, and more bothered that she doesn't want to let him be a little kid. Little kids get messy. Little kids lose battles of inertia with big objects. Doesn't matter if they're boys, girls, or what. Don't try to make a kid be something it's not.

And if she's trying to force him to be something he isn't now, she'll continue to try to mold him into something he's not when he gets older. I don't care if she dresses the kid in pink and gives him Barbie's, as long as she doesn't tell him how to play with them.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
2/5/09 10:13 p.m.

The best thing about long hair is when you get it wound up in the wheels of your creeper.

Crawling out from under the car, dragging your creeper by your hair just ROCKS!

You guys really should try it sometime.

For mullet names, don't forget: The Ape Drape, Hockey Hair and The Shlong.

The one I hate to see most on kids is a "rattail". It usually goes with the upbringing though, dad wears a wifebeater and mullet, mom has big hair, acid-washed jeans, Rick James t-shirt and pushes a triple-wide stroller.

Shawn

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/5/09 10:30 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: The best thing about long hair is when you get it wound up in the wheels of your creeper. Crawling out from under the car, dragging your creeper by your hair just ROCKS!

Oh. berkeley. Now I remember why I don't have long hair anymore. And here I was only remembering that short hair is easier with a helmet.

I actually have a white-man's dew-rag that I wore all the time when crawling under a car.

The picture in my profile is actually from after I cut about 6' off of my hair. Somebody on this board once saw that picture and thought my dad was me, and I was my girlfriend.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
2/6/09 12:26 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Dang shame the Robert Bentley Co. doesn't make a shop manual for raising children..it would make things a lot easier...jeez, even a Haynes would help a lil' bit..
We need a runner called INSTANT CLASSICS going across the bottom, this (^^^^) would be on it.

Oh, no way, man. I work in TV. I don't tell people that anymore because the first thing out of their mouths is "..can you do anything about all that berkeley on the screen while I'm trying to watch my show?.."

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
2/6/09 12:35 a.m.
porksboy wrote: When I was 25 I grew my hair long. I was out of the house and living with my fiance to whom I have been maried for 18 years. When I would go home I wouldnt sleep in the house nor let my guard down or else my father have cut my hair.Tthe earing that was in vouge at the time was instantly ripped from my ear. Took a while to heal and I had to wait 2 years to afford to have my earlobe repaired. Of course I knew going in I was playing with fire "I'll show him"... I WAS WRONG... And I apreciate the lesson learned.

And what was that lesson? Your dads an ass?

No offense, but jeez, you were 25, and your father RIPPED an earring out of your head? Sounds like the guy has a few issues he needs to sort out.

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
2/6/09 12:37 a.m.

Also, I have a mohawk from time to time.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/joey48442/

A real one, only. I stay away from faux-mo's.

Joey

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
2/6/09 8:28 a.m.
Mental wrote: My nephew has very nice blonde hair, which his mother refuses to cut. She also insist on dressing the boy in the faggy-est little pastel jumpers. The only pair of jean the boy owns was a gift from Uncle Mental and Aunt mental for Xmas. He's 3, constantly mistaken for a girl, which somehow, his mother finds this endearing.

Miata?

Jay
Jay HalfDork
2/6/09 8:35 a.m.

I used to have a mullet in public school. I first started growing my hair out around grade 4-5 and it's been long ever since. It was never a rebellious thing. After about grade 8 I let the rest grow out as well.

Now:

I used to wear it out more often but these days it's almost always tied back. No plans to go short permanently but I've been entertaining the idea of cutting it off and letting it grow back to repair all the damaged ends. I don't think I've actually gone to a barber since I was 15.

Trans_Maro wrote: For mullet names, don't forget: The Ape Drape, Hockey Hair and The Shlong.

That's what I call my junk!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/6/09 9:47 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
porksboy wrote: When I was 25 I grew my hair long. I was out of the house and living with my fiance to whom I have been maried for 18 years. When I would go home I wouldnt sleep in the house nor let my guard down or else my father have cut my hair.Tthe earing that was in vouge at the time was instantly ripped from my ear. Took a while to heal and I had to wait 2 years to afford to have my earlobe repaired. Of course I knew going in I was playing with fire "I'll show him"... I WAS WRONG... And I apreciate the lesson learned.
And what was that lesson? Your dads an ass? No offense, but jeez, you were 25, and your father RIPPED an earring out of your head? Sounds like the guy has a few issues he needs to sort out. Joey

Yeah, at 25, he'd be dealing with a broken nose/jaw if he pulled that w/ me. Seems like there's a much larger issue buried in there somewhere.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/6/09 11:15 a.m.

My nephew showed up at a family picnic with two earrings. Once the beer flowed and horse shoes throwed, one cousin throws his arm around this kid and whispers in his ear:

"Round here, we berkely things with earrings" then tweaked him on the butt.

Kid was never seen with an earring again, he didn't come around much either....

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/6/09 11:47 a.m.

WOW, this thread has gone goofy. Yeah. Just a pet peeve for me. I don't have kids, so I'm not going to get all preachy. Just one of those things that makes me shake my head when it's obvious that the kid is not "expressing himself," rather, the parents are saying "Hey, look at us! We're the cool parents who 'express ourselves' by making our kid a target."

FWIW, I had a hawk, double hawks WWF style, white hair, red hair, purple hair, and played in a couple of pretty decent punk-rock bands through and after high school. After the 2004 Challenge I figured doing a hawk annually (for the Challenge) would be pretty cool. I soon figured out that the bald spot on the back of my head actually gave me 2 mohawks, and not in the cool side-by-side format. Needless to say, I keep the hair pretty short now.

Anyway, like I said, just a pet peeve, nothing more. I'm certainly not going to call anybody's kid "faggy." (Shame on you, Mental.)

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
2/6/09 12:17 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: WOW, this thread has gone goofy. Yeah. Just a pet peeve for me. I don't have kids, so I'm not going to get all preachy. Just one of those things that makes me shake my head when it's obvious that the kid is not "expressing himself," rather, the parents are saying "Hey, look at us! We're the cool parents who 'express ourselves' by making our kid a target."

Some of it depends on the kid. You may think they're too young to express the desire for a particular hairdo, but you might be surprised. My son is 4 and goes to school almost every day with what he refers to as "spikey hair". That means standing straight up with lots of gel in it. He loves it and tells me that the other kids love it too. Other days, it is a faux hawk, yet other days it is "smooth spikey" (his term), which means gel as well, but not standing straight up. Either my wife or I ask him before school each day and he chooses. Some days, he reply is "nothing".

Only point is that some young kids may actually be requesting said hairdo.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
2/6/09 1:38 p.m.
gamby wrote: If there are some who were offended by "tard" and "retard" being thrown around, I have issues w/ "fag" being thrown around (and I'm not gay). That said-- I don't know your nephew's mom is trying to accomplish, but she seems to be hell-bend on really screwing this kid up. Seems like she wanted a girl and is treating her son like one to make up for it. That is really disturbing. Where the hell is the father in this???

wait a minute. you don't like the term "fag" being used -- may i guess that you consider it insulting and judgmental -- but you're OK with stating your own bias that this woman is screwing up her kid? if fags are OK people, then why is making him a fag not OK?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/6/09 2:18 p.m.

back on the subject of hair.. once I hit HS I started growing my hair. Until then it was short and parted on the side. Up until the time the bald spot got a bit noticible, I kept it all around long.

I miss it long.. I do not miss it hitting me in the eyes when driving my spider with the top down.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/6/09 2:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
wait a minute. you don't like the term "fag" being used -- may i guess that you consider it insulting and judgmental -- but you're OK with stating your own bias that this woman is screwing up her kid? if fags are OK people, then why is making him a fag not OK?

Whatever, redneck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Ky6ABX6DythExOPfhvnt9oBvSCNILi4qnm0J4OUSrYfzYIoVrbzWJuy9LjK28zQ