8 9 10 11 12
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/1/20 10:31 p.m.

My hugs are not scary! They smell like lavender, cinnamon and bread pudding. It's just the knowledge that they come with obligations that makes them scary, but hey... #mom.

Margie

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
6/1/20 10:55 p.m.

400+ rioters that came in on buses met at the Chevron across the street from me a bit ago, 2 hours after my cop friend came by to borrow ammo and extra mags.  That should tell you 2 things:

E36 M3 is about to get real and I'm pretty well armed

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 11:04 p.m.
Cotton said:
spitfirebill said:
Cotton said:

It seems the social distancing and mask police have taken some time off.

But the Covid19 isn't taking time off.  Just wait.  

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what shakes out.

Yeah, this will end up to be a real interesting experiment. I think two scenarios are about equally likely:

1: We don’t see any real increase, maybe a blip, because they’re outdoors  and people are transient instead of sitting one spot, many of the looters are poverty stricken and won’t seek testing, and many protesters and looters are wearing masks

2: Every place that had crowded protests sees a spike. 

Edit: and now that I read that, it is kind of silly, as the obvious third option is somewhere in the middle. Yup, something will happen here! It will be extreme, or mild, or in between!

I’m changing my answer to “I think it will be bad for obvious reasons, but maybe on the lesser end of that “bad” scale”

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/1/20 11:18 p.m.

I’m changing my answer to “I think it will be bad for obvious reasons, but maybe on the lesser end of that “bad” scale”

at least in LA , lets say so far 25,000 people have been at the marches , even 50,000 out of a population of 10 million....half had masks , no 6ft clearance

now think of the last 2 weekends with everyone out and about , to the stores and the beach , same % of masks ,  but lots more people....

I hope because it was outside  that the virus transfer will be less , we will see in 2 weeks

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/20 11:31 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

at least in LA , lets say so far 25,000 people have been at the marches , even 50,000 out of a population of 10 million....half had masks , no 6ft clearance

now think of the last 2 weekends with everyone out and about , to the stores and the beach , same % of masks ,  but lots more people....

I hope because it was outside  that the virus transfer will be less , we will see in 2 weeks

There's A LOT of looting going on indoors,  and let's face it,  not a lot of correct mask wearing, then of course people touching everything and everybody.  You're right though,  we'll see.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 12:35 a.m.

Jesus Christ, y'all. I started this as a check-in thread. If there's unrest in your neighbourhood and you don't feel safe or if you want people to know that you're okay, this is a place to check in.

This is not the place to get political, this is the place for GRMs to let other GRMers know how they're doing.

Don't make Margie put you under the patio.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
6/2/20 4:22 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Well waking up to read this response from someone like you on this forum is truly shocking.

All I was trying to do was voice my option that "racial" crimes aren't always racist. We can throw numbers and graphs around just like covid, but we'll get no where because numbers are always mistrued.

Also I found it berkeleying hilarious that a "moderator" is going to give me a warning for my opinion, which was not a violent threat, that I should "die in fire" instead!?!?!

Maybe you missed it earlier in the thread when I said I'm a father/husband of an interracial family, I tend to take racism very berkeleying serious, but no go die in fire???????
Honestly that statement alone is one the most hateful things someone has told me in awhile, Thank you!
I'm glad I never "donated" any of my money to this company for yalls tax  write off purposes, I see where it's people and moral stand.

berkeley off #mom

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/2/20 4:35 a.m.

My apologies. That was too strong. I am fine with my moral stance, however. I wish you the best of luck wherever you land from here. 

Margie

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/2/20 7:14 a.m.

There was a protest in downtown Lawrenceville, about three miles from my house. It seems to have gone well. The local newspaper reports that there wasn't any violence (either on the part of the protesters or cops) or property damage, and it looks like some of the people the protesters were trying to reach turned out to listen, so this sounds like a good example of how a protest ought to go.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/2/20 7:27 a.m.

I came here to say that the protests in Greenville have been mercifully peaceful again.

But "die in a fire"? Did that really happen? Someone told someone else here to go die in a fire??

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/2/20 7:33 a.m.

Houston is having a march with the family of George Floyd today as a funeral march, not a protest. It's a big enough city that it's 40 miles away from me, so I'm just going to be watching on TV. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/2/20 8:28 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Cotton said:

This is what is keeping me from going to the peaceful protests.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
6/2/20 8:39 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
spitfirebill said:
Cotton said:

This is what is keeping me from going to the peaceful protests.

That was the Dancer's only real concern regarding going to the one here in Lexington on Sunday- but 95% or more of the people were wearing masks, and while there wasn't much of any social distancing going on (hard to do that with 1000+ people crammed into the street) with everyone wearing masks, being outside, and moving around all the time hopefully it won't be a huge problem. But, it's a calculation that everyone has to make- we're both (relatively) young and healthy and don't have much contact with anyone else we would be concerned about passing it on to and felt strongly enough that being there outweighed the risk. Were we more at risk or had people we encounter that we would have been putting at risk, the math might have added up differently.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/2/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I have a baby due on June 12th. I am not going to risk picking it up and missing his birth. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
6/2/20 12:18 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I have a baby due on June 12th. I am not going to risk picking it up and missing his birth. 

Probably a wise move. If we lived closer to and saw either my parents (my Dad is diabetic, though he took the risk of flying halfway across the country last week to see his mother one last time before she passed from non-Covid issues) or the Dancer's family (with her elderly grandparents and immuno-compromised nephew) regularly we would be a lot more careful. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 12:24 p.m.

They had a peaceful protest in Spokane for many hours......then apparently a couple bus full of a white supremacists group showed up and there was a riot.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad the protests have been mostly peaceful.

Unfortunately, having E36 M3 stains like that show up like that is not surprising for Spokane.  There are a lot of those types in the area and in neighboring states like Montana and Idaho.

One one hand I'm glad they've chosen to self-isolate to some extent, but on the other hand they ruin the states they inhabit with their actions.

Showing up en masse like this is just icing on the E36 M3 cake they are and makes cleaning the world of them that much more important.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/2/20 12:32 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Not to hijack, but congratulations!!!!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 12:36 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad the protests have been mostly peaceful.

Unfortunately, having E36 M3 stains like that show up like that is not surprising for Spokane.  There are a lot of those types in the area and in neighboring states like Montana and Idaho.

One one hand I'm glad they've chosen to self-isolate to some extent, but on the other hand they ruin the states they inhabit with their actions.

Showing up en masse like this is just icing on the E36 M3 cake they are and makes cleaning the world of them that much more important.

I've lived in North Idaho for years, there really isn't many of that type in the area that I've seen anymore. Years back it really was a problem, but recently you never hear of them around.

It's sad though because the original protest was done well with no violence on either side

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/2/20 1:05 p.m.
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) said:

Jesus Christ, y'all. I started this as a check-in thread. If there's unrest in your neighbourhood and you don't feel safe or if you want people to know that you're okay, this is a place to check in.

Let me check.Still quiet in kettlersville 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/2/20 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

I'm not here to be mean or anything but if you think all of these protests are happening just because everybody thinks this one particular cop is racist that's hella dumb. It's because police are killing and beating people unjustifiably and not facing any consequences for it. It isn't just happening to black people, but it is happening disproportionately to black people. People are tired of bad cops hurting people, bad cops letting bad cops hurt people, and bad "justice" systems refusing to hold them accountable. Mix all the events leading up to this with the rona causing everybody to have their stress levels maxed out and the Russian troll farms and the nimrods on social media stirring the pot and you have yourselves a powder keg. Cities burned in the 60s and nobody listened. LA burned in the 90s and nobody listened. Football players kneeled and they were called unpatriotic sons of bitches who hate our troops (??????). All those chances to shift the focus back to being peace officers that protect and serve. But instead they shifted more towards the militarized goon squads. So here we are.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
6/2/20 2:03 p.m.

The wife and I joined the protest in Baltimore last night for around 6 hours or so.  The protests were peaceful, and people were adamant about making sure things remained peaceful - one (white) guy threw fireworks at the riot police, and the crowd responded by immediately kicking the crap out of him (twice) and then marched him right over to the police and turned him over to them, and they arrested him.  Other than that things were tense, but okay.  The police used mace on the peaceful protestors quite a few times, and then later ordered everyone to disperse on their loudspeakers (remember though, we have a constitutional right to peaceful assembly, and there is no curfew in Baltimore.)  Shortly after they started using flash bangs and more mace on the protestors, and moving around to try to surround groups of protestors.  Some people were hurt, some people were arrested.  We had it pretty easy, the cops have been much, much worse in other cities.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/2/20 2:49 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

They had a peaceful protest in Spokane for many hours......then apparently a couple bus full of a white supremacists group showed up and there was a riot.

The "funny" thing about this:  I have heard of outside agitators coming to these protests.

Half claim they are white supremacists (or right wing extremists etc).   Half claim they are ANTIFA (or anarchists, or whatever you want to call them)

Again, I suspect there is someone in another country typing away furiously feeding that information to both "sides"

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/2/20 4:34 p.m.
gearheadmb . It isn't just happening to black people, but it is happening disproportionately to black people. 

I'm honestly curious about these numbers. I have no idea the number of unarmed whites killed by any color cop. I don't hear about happening because it doesn't make the news but is it happening? No clue. 

I had no idea Night Ranger was on tour because it's not in the media yet it is still happening and you wouldn't know it if you weren't looking for it. (Lake Charles, Louisiana June 12 is your night)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/2/20 5:01 p.m.

Protest/funeral march in Houston seems to be going well. Texans being Texans, riding horses in march. Streamable Link

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wCuYVXpnf4GpjyLMSKX89V9ZLyj0K56bJ0UwQiahxAsRJhpEhUP7yWyl9xupHfNy