1 2
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/1/23 4:43 p.m.

Florida location.

Yesterday, my wife had someone damage her parked car. The other driver left a note, and we spoke to that person today. 

Her intention is to submit it to her insurance, her expressed desire is to restore it to previous condition. 

Since it's New Year's day, there's no reason for her to try to do anything about it today. I suggested that I might be able to find a little more information that could be useful for her. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome.

It's been 12 years since I was in the position of having a damage claim handled by the other driver's insurance. That time, my truck was assessed by their agent and I got a check in the mail. 

I knew a retired body repair guy who worked out of his home garage, and we collected the parts from the junkyard together.

I had my truck fixed for much less than I received from the insurance, which worked out well since it happened the week after I had closed my practice and declared bankruptcy. 

2014 Mazda 5

The gaps aren't symmetrical on each side, so I don't know what to expect under the bumper cover. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/1/23 4:59 p.m.

I doubt there is much damage under that bumper cover, possibly the reinforcement. Go ahead and get an estimate from The body shop of your choice. You only need one estimate, and you can pick any shop you want. Presented to the ladies insurance company and you should be set to go.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/1/23 5:15 p.m.

When I stopped for a second estimate the guy told me everyone uses the same software and has similar prices.  

Really?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/1/23 5:19 p.m.

You might as well get it done right if the other party is paying for it.  

But, if they weren't paying for it...

1. remove bumper cover (takes less than 20 minutes)
  2. apply hot water to the back side of the bumper cover which will make the plastic warm and pliable
  3. reshape plastic bumper cover
  4. reinstall bumper cover (20 minutes) snapping the bumper back into place.  Sort of "tab A into slot B" and a few fasteners.   
  5. what will be left is a scuff to the plastic 

1/1/23 5:22 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good advice, which I have considered. Unfortunately, there's a full thickness puncture about two inches long.

I have one of those punctures (without the dent) on the front of my autocross Miata, but it's hardly noticeable and on that car it doesn't matter. Outcome expectations on this will be different.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/1/23 5:38 p.m.

My last experience with the other person's insurance (State Farm) left me hanging because they (SF) claimed the owner would not provide his description of the incident. There was a police report indicating their insured was at fault & they still wouldn't move it forward. I eventually called my insurance and let them handle it. I did not wish to face potential criminal charges for other more rewarding means of getting the at fault party or their insurance to cooperate.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/1/23 5:51 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Good advice, which I have considered. Unfortunately, there's a full thickness puncture about two inches long.

I have one of those punctures (without the dent) on the front of my autocross Miata, but it's hardly noticeable and on that car it doesn't matter. Outcome expectations on this will be different.

GRM stickers are like 50 cents.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/1/23 5:54 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

My last experience with the other person's insurance (State Farm) left me hanging because they (SF) claimed the owner would not provide his description of the incident. There was a police report indicating their insured was at fault & they still wouldn't move it forward. I eventually called my insurance and let them handle it. I did not wish to face potential criminal charges for other more rewarding means of getting the at fault party or their insurance to cooperate.

This sounds very much like why I never go through the other person's insurance.  Never ever. 

I don't need the headache, I don't need the struggle.  It is their job to make sure their shareholders are covered and that their customers are covered.  They do not care about me.

1/1/23 6:03 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

When I stopped for a second estimate the guy told me everyone uses the same software and has similar prices.  

Really?

Yes, there are only a few different estimating platforms.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/1/23 6:40 p.m.

My daughter got hit coming out of school, other driver took responsibility.  They had State Farm and I have to say, they were extremely easy to deal with.  I sent in pics of the damage, they sent back an estimate and a check.  I went to my body shop and got it fixed, that was it.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
1/1/23 9:01 p.m.

The easiest way to deal with it is to take the car to a reputable body shop and let them deal with it.  They work with insurance companies every day.  It's what they do.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/2/23 12:46 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

This sounds very much like why I never go through the other person's insurance.  Never ever. 

Yup.  I always file under my collision policy and let my insurance company worry about dealing with the other guys, that's what I pay them for.

1/2/23 12:54 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

Yup.  I always file under my collision policy and let my insurance company worry about dealing with the other guys, that's what I pay them for.

Our $1000 deductible doesn't make that very appealing. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
1/2/23 1:42 a.m.

Our $1000 deductible doesn't make that very appealing. 

You get the deductible back when they recover the money from the other insurance company.

1/2/23 1:54 a.m.

So if I understand, I submit a claim to my insurance with the other driver's information, my insurance will pay for the repairs and then be responsible for collecting from the other insurance?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
1/2/23 3:09 a.m.

So if I understand, I submit a claim to my insurance with the other driver's information, my insurance will pay for the repairs and then be responsible for collecting from the other insurance?

So let me preface this by saying that the rules vary by state law, but in most cases yes.

You submit a collision claim and get your car fixed.  That transfers the debt that the other guy owes from you to your insurance company, so they go after him to get the money back.  When they get the money, assuming it's the full amount, they send you another check to cover your deductible.  It's called "subrogation".

If the other guy's company wants to fight then it may take a while to get your deductible back.  One time I did this it took about 18 months when USAA tried to claim that it wasn't their driver's fault.  My car was legally parked and unoccupied, the other driver was a 16 year old on a learner's permit and in reverse, so they were doomed to lose that one but they dragged it out.  Still, I'd much rather have a fixed car and be waiting for a refund on the deductible than have to be fighting the other guy's company on my own to get anything.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/2/23 8:21 a.m.

Lot's of jumping ahead from some of the posters above.

Other lady already admitted fault and wants to run it through her insurance. Let that play out. If it turns into a crapfest, you can always file with your own company. What insurance company is it?

Some may take a shop estimate. Some may send someone to write it. A lot of us now have you send photos via email or app and we write it virtually. 90% of shops and insurers all use the same software, though there will be variances in what hourly rate insurers pay in a give area vs what a shop's retail rates are. Usually not a problem. Plus, every shop adds 'fluff' on the bottom (flex additive, tint time, etc) to make a bit of money, which will vary from shop to shop.

That looks like a simple bumper cover replacement. Shops and insurers both love those. Easy peasy.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/2/23 9:21 a.m.

You might try these guys. My daughter ordered from them for her Sonic after catching a curb. It came in prepainted and only cost about $300.

https://bumpersthatdeliver.com/

1/2/23 10:04 a.m.

We have Progressive currently. About once a year we have our independent agent do a comparison, and Progressive had the best rates last time. 

I've priced some of the pre-painted bumpers, $592 delivered from the site linked above ("unfolded"- I can't imagine dealing with having it folded and not cracking the paint).

The big question is how likely is it that I'll get the payment myself vs their insurance wanting to pay directly to the body shop?

I've had both experiences but in the latter case the adjuster was pissed because my old LTD turned out to be immaculate and had a two year old deltron repaint. 

I refused his offer to let him, "give you $500 and walk away." After I said no, he still tried to see if I would sign the check that was in my mailbox the next morning. I knew how that worked, so I didn't fall for it. 

I had to have a lawyer (free from student services) send him a letter. Paying the body shop directly was one of my concessions to settle the case. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
1/2/23 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I was coming in to say just hope she does not have Progressive as they will low ball you hard. Glad it's good rates for you but it sucks for anyone you hit. A buddy is currently in a back and forth with them since the person that hit him, has Progressive.  2 body shops have come up with a $2750 estimate, Progressive wants to send him a check for $1040? All 3 met at the shop Progressive recommended and the shop said it's $2750 according to the software they both use? The answer was they will start with the $1040 and if more is needed do a supplement, the body shop kept saying "we know more is needed right now". The main issue is it's 3 months before they can do it so no one wants to take the low ball and be stuck with a closed claim in 90 days.

I hope yours works out.

1/2/23 12:53 p.m.

The big question is how likely is it that I'll get the payment myself vs their insurance wanting to pay directly to the body shop?

I've had both experiences but in the latter case the adjuster was pissed because my old LTD turned out to be immaculate and had a two year old deltron repaint. 

I refused his offer to let him, "give you $500 and walk away." After I said no, he still tried to see if I would sign the check that was in my mailbox the next morning. I knew how that worked, so I didn't fall for it. 

I had to have a lawyer (free from student services) send him a letter. Paying the body shop directly was one of my concessions to settle the case. 

Unless you ask them to, they will pay you directly as you are the owner of the vehicle.  

Signing a check does NOT release them from any obligations to additional damage found.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/2/23 2:06 p.m.

Twice I've been lightly hit when it wasn't my fault.  

1. Insurance company dragged on said they were waiting for their clients statement.  I mentioned the client confessed to the officer in front of me that it was his fault.  (My insurance card says to not admit fault)

Bam - authorization the next day.

2. We both had State Farm - they were again  dragging feet and says we can run it through your insurance if you're in a hurry......No, I'll wait.

1/2/23 2:22 p.m.

Latest update, other driver has State Farm, asked us to get an estimate since she is considering not submitting it to her insurance.

I'm close to a few body shops. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/2/23 2:48 p.m.

I think I've seen this scenario before - submit quote and she chokes and complains it can't be that expensive.  

Also who covers any, if any hidden damage found later?  She'll choke again stating you're trying to screw her and won't  pay up.  

That's why I pay an agent. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/2/23 2:49 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I think I've seen this scenario before - submit quote and she chokes and complains it can't be that expensive.  

Also who covers any, if any hidden damage?  She'll choke again stating you're trying to screw her and won't  pay up.  

Yup.  Again, why I go through my insurance.

I don't have the patience or the people skills to navigate someone else's BS.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MU8Bn503EM0NgmCweELE8jHJZ81HccOZvTCPwWy9zTPe1hencdFr90OQlu3Sd8qX