1 2 3
pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/22/11 9:09 p.m.

I got notified on my lawn mower warranty and filled out paperwork. $6 rolled in one day because of that. Almost as bad as my Menard's rebates.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
11/22/11 9:13 p.m.

I've had 2 clash action settlements. One from Packard-Bell that extended the warranty on the first computer I ever bought (in 1991) for using used parts in a new machine and selling it as new.. I think by the time I got it I didn't have the computer anymore. The other I was overcharged for an airline ticket when my dad was sick and I had to go home for that. During that time I only flew commercial if Uncle Sam was paying to move me and my family someplace or emergency and couldn't really afford that at the time. When the settlement of discounted tickets came in with an expiration date I had to laugh because I wasn't going to be able to use it and it was non-transferable.

Slightly off-topic but the only time I ever won anything was when I was working at a chain auto parts store part time while going to college after I retired from the army. A vacation wasn't even within sight of being doable and I won tickets to Disneyworld. Now all I had to do was get there from KY and get a room for the family and feed them. All of which costs more than the tickets were worth. Gave them up too.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
11/22/11 11:01 p.m.

Got a check this week from Ebay settlement also, $3.09. Best one ever was a former employer that wasn't paying correctly when employees were "on call" back in the 80's, that check was about $1500.00.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
12/2/11 7:02 a.m.

Got my ebay check for $1.37 and deposited it today. The trip to my bank was a 15 minute detour, and it cost me about $1.50 in gas.... I just hate Fee-Bay that much.

We do need to stop these class action suits that only benefit the lawyers. How about a cap on the fees they claim. Let's say no more than an amount equal to the lowest settlement awarded to an injured party. (It does seem reasonable that they should not benefit more than the injured.)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
12/2/11 7:20 a.m.

I'm okay with the idea of a "class action" lawsuit, so long as the lawyers take the case pro bono, just so we don't think they're a bunch of scum-sucking dirtbags.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/2/11 7:28 a.m.

In reply to monark192:

I've gotten two or three notices lately. No real money involved, nor did I agree with taking money for any of them.
The biggest one I ever was part of was the Chevy truck fuel tank deal. I didn't agree with that one either, even though I owned two trucks involved at the time. The trucks met the safety requirements at the time they were built and the show that exposed the "problem" had to rig the truck to get it to explode. In any case the end result, after years and millions spent was $100 cash or $1000 off a new Chevy truck. Woohoo... Now my inlaws, they got $20k in a class action settlement against their life insurance company. Figures.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/2/11 7:39 a.m.

I just got one from an ebay settlement. A whopping $1.54. Looking over the paperwork, the lawyers fees took $22.99. Times that by how many plaintaffs?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
12/2/11 9:03 a.m.

Got same check

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
12/2/11 9:14 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Got same check

Me too. I think mine was a buck forty-two.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
12/2/11 9:40 a.m.

0.14$ from eBay overchage return. Load how am I going to spend it. HEc I would have preferred say 5 or 6 free listings.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/2/11 10:41 a.m.

Damn, I must be a high roller! I got 6 bucks and change from ebay! Not lawsuit related, but I once got a check from AT&T for $.21 for some sort of overpayment.

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
12/2/11 10:45 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I just got one from an ebay settlement. A whopping $1.54. Looking over the paperwork, the lawyers fees took $22.99. Times that by how many plaintaffs?

Maybe we should limit lawyers fees to say 5% of the average settlement check to the plaintiffs.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/2/11 11:12 a.m.
monark192 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I just got one from an ebay settlement. A whopping $1.54. Looking over the paperwork, the lawyers fees took $22.99. Times that by how many plaintaffs?
Maybe we should limit lawyers fees to say 5% of the average settlement check to the plaintiffs.

No.

But it just shows how broken the "justice" system really is.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
12/2/11 11:29 a.m.

Got my $1.65 check from the Ebay settlement a few days ago. Got a paper cut trying to open the envelope. My attorney says I should get a nice check from the envelope manufacturer....

Ranger, you're right. Working in an industry that deals with suits all the time, the system is quite broken.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
12/2/11 11:33 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 0.14$ from eBay overchage return. Load how am I going to spend it. HEc I would have preferred say 5 or 6 free listings.

That would never work...

What would the lawyers do with 20 million free listings?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/2/11 11:51 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Ranger, you're right. Working in an industry that deals with suits all the time, the system is quite broken.

Having just gone through a home foreclosure, long stupid story, and a judge asking point blank, "Do you have a lawyer?" shows the system is quite broken. I wanted to say, "If I had the cash for a lowlife scumbag attorney, do you really think I would be standing here in front you in a foreclosure motion hearing?!?!" Also I shouldn't have to camp out at the courthouse for every motion hour to make sure I am not getting scammed by other scumbag attorneys.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/2/11 11:58 a.m.

Got my check for $218.47 from the Visa settlement. I guess they accepted my estimated amount of foreign withdrawals without any questions.

Did anyone else get an email about a class action lawsuit against Ticketmaster? Apparently they had the audacity to make a profit on shipping tickets to people, but didn't tell people they were making a profit on the shipping! Why wouldn't they make a profit off of it? Isn't that what a business does, they take something from a middleman, mark it up and pass it on to their customers? I only got an email notification about it so I'm not sure if its a real email or someone trying to scam me. I guess I'll wait for something in the mail.

Bob

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
12/2/11 12:14 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Did anyone else get an email about a class action lawsuit against Ticketmaster?

There's something in the news about it today.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/2/11 12:25 p.m.

$4.45 from eBay. I didn't know I sold that much stuff during that period.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
12/2/11 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Schmidlap:

Yeah I got that too.

And a buck and some change from eBay.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/2/11 3:09 p.m.

0.43 cents from eBay. It's going into my Hookers & Blow fund, which is now up to and maxed out at 0.43 cents.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/2/11 3:23 p.m.

WooHoo! I got almost nine bucks from eBay! I must have gotten really screwed.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
12/2/11 3:24 p.m.

got something like $6.40 from ebay, had to google the settlement to see if it was legit. went in my general fund... so it went for beer n cigs.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/2/11 3:39 p.m.

$18.04 fro a "foreign transaction fee" lawsuit.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
12/2/11 3:49 p.m.

Anyone else get an email about a suit against netflix? I heard about the suit against Ticketmaster today. Looks like it will be a 1.50 discount on a future ticket purchase.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6DpphMhApMNfeWyBCBWJ2cMudQOj49b6cOjp6JZfqHvNjHCZtxdHzFVzGzX5fPz9