bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/7/20 1:52 p.m.

So I get an unsolicited text from "Cody" with a potential presidential candidate's campaign.

A candidate I have never shown the slightest support for.  How they got my number or why they contacted me is a mystery.

However I've had a bit of back and forth debate with Cody over the past 24 hours, he knows I'm not supporting his candidate.

Some of the responses have been lengthy, and way too quick to have been typed, so they're either canned, copy and paste, or perhaps Cody is a bot?

If Cody is a bot, it's pretty dang good.  Anyone know if the campaigns are using AI to harass potential constitutes?  I doubt I'll sway Cody, if he's flesh and blood, but I can waste his time and the debate is fun.  If chances are I'm talking with a computer, I'll quit wasting my time.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/7/20 2:04 p.m.

I got an unsolicited text from "Sharon" about abortion, a few weeks ago. The responses weren't quick, didn't seem canned, either. 

Her views were not the same as mine, so we had a good debate.

She seemed unwilling to debate my questions, regarding gun control, though. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
1/7/20 3:31 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're using AI for this, but I'd wager if the conversation can go on for a while and you don't detect it, it's probably a human using a text program at a computer (so you can type quickly) with a text document of canned responses to copy/paste from.

Option #2 is probably cheapest, since it's often volunteers doing it.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
1/7/20 3:48 p.m.

Just ask if its a robot.  A podcast i listen to had a spam call that they were messing with. It sounded like a human and responded perfect, mostly. One person asks if its a robot, it replied something like "oh, are my responses that predictable?" Or something like that. They think its a human, mostly. The other host started just saying "robot robot robot robot" and the AI machine got confused and started tripping all over itself. Trying to play multiple responses back at the same time. It was beautiful.  The AI robocalls are quite good. 

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
1/7/20 6:05 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore :

My brain went to a bad place by combining anti gun control and pro abortion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ICefigs38HLObH11FgAFc5ekwcWjHeGUZETmfgqV9Pj8CwNIKYeHOje61VVhmYXY