1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/13/17 5:15 p.m.

Also think of college prices as buying a car - those are "list prices" and can be less. How?   My son is an example.  

1.  Take AP classes in high school.  He cut one semester off and graduated in 3-1/2 years with Bachelors degree. 

2. Be an RA - he did two years and saved $2000 per year.  

3. Dump and/or cut the food plan ASAP.  He cut the 21 meals immediately down to 14 meals.  Then he bought his own food his junior/senior year.   He felt he saved $1000 a year from the food plan.  

4. Work hard for good test scores.   His School cut his tuition $10,000 a year because of his ACT score.  

5.  Work like a dog every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and summer break at a part time job and save like nuts.  He worked At our local Target and saved enough to pay one semester (his last one).  

6. In the end he owes $20,000 and is paying down as he attends grad school.   Grad school is no cost as he receives a stipend.   

Scooter
Scooter Dork
10/15/17 10:18 a.m.

I got lucky. I went to a college that, at the time, didn't have a football team - UNC Charlotte. Tuition was $800 or so my first semester and increased to what I thought was super expensive to around $1600 per semester when I graduated. This was 2003-2007. My parents paid my way as I went including rent. I worked all summer for pizza and beer money. Left debt free with a civil engineering degree. Again I say. I got lucky. I can't even imagine what tuition is now. 

Maybe I'm a jerk. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'm not paying for a 4-year underwater basket weaving degree for a college that looks good on a high school graduation announcement. I'm already tapped out living in one of he best school districts in the state so I hope that counts for something. With the opportunities to make so much money outside of a 4 year degree, it's not a necessity anymore imo. 

Sorry to go so far off topic, but as others have stated, taking a non traditional path these days seem to make the most sense.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GErNgSonEFM6EWjvMyqsdDOSFxtAo4EDbt0e8BmdngxMRWB2ltngvRVLRgYWeQA