1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/13/13 4:46 p.m.

Okay, so I'll admit I'm not a Seinfeld fan. Didn't like the show and I don't think he's that funny. That said, his new internet TV show is actually decent, if just for cars. Some genuinely funny stuff, too.

Then I watched the one with the 73 Carrera RS. The E36 M3 that spews forth from that mans mouth about that car boggle the mind, especially for somebody who's got such varied car interests.

For example, he says it's the first race car for the street. Um, excuse me?!?

(Ad naseum)

Then he says it was the first car to have an actual spoiler designed for rear downforce. Again, really?!?

(Ad naseum)

Jerry's done gone and lost his mind. The 73 Carrera RS is no doubt one of the world's great sports cars, but there ain't no way in hell it's half of the E36 M3 he describes.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
8/13/13 5:00 p.m.

I think he is a very Porsche centric kind of guy. Not sure he know much about other cars.

If you ever watched his show, he always had a Porsche poster up in his apartment. I believe he also owns the last air cooled 911 made.

I don't remember this from the show, but I am guessing it was his:

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/13/13 5:06 p.m.

I'd rather watch Seinfeld's car show than Jay Leno's "constantly interrupt my guest and say BACK IN THE DAY about a jillion times" YouTube show.

Its even better than some of the hosts on Drive (...cough...SPINELLI...cough...)

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/13/13 5:07 p.m.

I'm usually more amazed when the talking head says something accurate.

Inaccuracy is the new normal for TV.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/13/13 5:29 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

On other episodes he's driven a Lamborghini Miura and a 1970 Challenger (so he knows what muscle cars are).

alex
alex UberDork
8/13/13 5:55 p.m.

The cars are set pieces. He's a car enthusiast, not an expert, and I'd bet he'd say the same. The point of the show is the conversation, and the cars are a way to get people talking.

Aside from plenty of funny moments, I've found some thought provoking stuff in several episodes of that show. Good comedians are primarily observers, and they bring their own unique slant to what they observe.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/13/13 6:13 p.m.

sit him down in front of a camera with a celebrity like Tim Allen and i bet he wouldn't seem like so much of an "expert"..

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
8/13/13 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

What? Like you've never been wrong? Ever? You know he's regurgitating "facts" that he picked up from other supposed car "experts" in the business. We've all been there at one time or another. The difference is we just may not have had a camera in our face when we've said it.

Lighten up, Francis!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/13/13 10:20 p.m.

I don't think he claims to be an expert. I'm pretty sure it's the enthusiast in him that says what he says. He picks certain cars for certain people and I imagine that he learns what he can from the owners of the cars (yes he does not own all the cars). He is also very Porsche-centric as it has already been said.

Either way I love the show. A few of the conversations are boring, but most of them are hilarious. I enjoyed his recent one with Gad Elmaleh. He was in French movie called "The Valet" and it was quite humorous.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/13/13 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

You realize that most of the world doesn't recognize muscle cars as "race cars" don't you?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/13/13 11:32 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

A Super Duty Pontiac is most certainly a race car. So is a Shelby GT350. Etc, etc.

And I'm not going to lighten up. He has his facts straight in all of the other episodes. His Porsche fanboi ness must have just brainwashed him for this one.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
8/13/13 11:37 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Javelin: You realize that most of the world doesn't recognize muscle cars as "race cars" don't you?

Most of the world is wrong on a hell of a lot.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
8/13/13 11:47 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: ...(yes he does not own all the cars)....

I read he does not own any of the cars, they are provided for him (not sure if he even lives on the west coast). I can certainly see how the Porsche could be his of course.

Edit: It looks like he lives in New York as of 2012.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/14/13 12:01 a.m.
Grizz wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to Javelin: You realize that most of the world doesn't recognize muscle cars as "race cars" don't you?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
8/14/13 12:18 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
I read he does not own any of the cars, they are provided for him (not sure if he even lives on the west coast). I can certainly see how the Porsche could be his of course. Edit: It looks like he lives in New York as of 2012.

I've read that he owns the company that owns the vehicles.

While I never liked Seinfeld's humour or his show, he is an established Porsche fan-boi. But, celebrity does not equal authority.

I'll give him a pass - just like those of his ilk who rant on about any number of socio/political topics.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/14/13 12:26 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
I read he does not own any of the cars, they are provided for him (not sure if he even lives on the west coast). I can certainly see how the Porsche could be his of course. Edit: It looks like he lives in New York as of 2012.

I believe all the Porsches are his (except the police one from the first season) and the VW Beetle as well. All the rest are on loan to him, but he is the one that picks them out.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/14/13 1:50 a.m.
Grizz wrote:

if it only goes fast for a few seconds and doesn't turn in either direction without almost coming to a complete stop first, then it isn't a "race car" to most of the rest of the world.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/14/13 2:14 a.m.

< sarcasm >
I didn't realize that Seinfeld is European ....

Also, there's no way a European racing organization like the FIA would host drag racing events in the UK, Finland, Germany or the Netherlands http://www.speedgroup.eu/ http://www.speedgroup.eu/gallery/ < /sarcasm >

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
8/14/13 2:48 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: if it only goes fast for a few seconds and doesn't turn in either direction without almost coming to a complete stop first, then it isn't a "race car" to most of the rest of the world.

Not my fault the rest of the world is gay.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/14/13 4:53 a.m.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/magazine/jerry-seinfeld-intends-to-die-standing-up.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I may or may not know this author.

So when the author talked to me about the cars and coffee stuff, he asked which one i liked. I used the car as the reference point and he used the comedian. Non car people are weird.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/14/13 5:21 a.m.

Yeah, there's no car content at all in that piece.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/14/13 5:37 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Yeah, there's no car content at all in that piece.

The author didnt have a drivers lisc until late into his 20's.

Anyways. The article was front page of the New York Times magazine. Pretty cool beans for a youngish author.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/14/13 6:16 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'm usually more amazed when the talking head says something accurate. Inaccuracy is the new normal for TV.
turboswede wrote: You know he's regurgitating "facts" that he picked up from other supposed car "experts" in the business.

You guys are right. It is entirely possible that Seinfeld is repeating something said by Top Gear or similar (i.e. a show where the presenters were using a LOT of poetic license in their phrasing, with an emphasis on sounding witty instead of on facts) thinking that it is accurate, .

Oh, yeah....here's another of those fancy EUROPEAN racing cars (Funny, you almost get the feeling that they like American muscle cars)

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/14/13 6:38 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that you need to go back one hell of a lot earlier than 1962 to find the "first race car for the road".

That being said, those comments by Jerry would likely be accurate if you replaced "car" with "Porsche"

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
8/14/13 7:43 a.m.

and, arguably,

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HfX7nMrAkh8LqihMpe5Y1gEreytX9wsVIjbojO6rWyehoqgX3aoARC3apWKcA0gS