TheRev
TheRev Reader
1/23/22 11:30 a.m.

I posted the following on the "Classic Motorsports" part of this forum, but it seemed to get no views. Maybe I'm posting it in the wrong place and should try on this board? Or maybe this is just not interesting? Not really sure the best way to connect on this site. But incase this board is better, here's the pics and breif writeup from a fun drive a couple days ago comparing an '85 911 to a 930...

I had great fun yesterday carving back roads with a friend and fellow air-cooled enthusiast, and had a perfect opportunity to compare my '85 3.2 back-to-back with his early 80's 930. This was my first time driving a 930 and, in short, it lived up to the hype. The car felt very similar to mine up to 3500 RPM, and then it felt like mine with an extra engine. This 930 does benefit from an aftermarket turbo and intercooler that pushed about 1.1 bar, so not quite stock. Once the turbo spooled, you better be pointed in a straight line! That was especially true in the sub-40 degree ambient temperatures that hamstrung his tires. But, wow, was it a fun car to drive hard! 

May be an image of car and road

I was, however, left with the impression that it would be difficult to enjoy this car safely and legally on our small country roads - much harder than my 3.2. Leave your foot in it and you're quickly pushing 100. And with a 4-speed vs. my 5-speed, plus long gearing, you don't get to shift as much. In contrast, I can run my 3.2 towards redline in every gear (once fully warmed up, of course), plus enjoy shifting at every bend, and still remain (relatively) legal. It's also far more relaxing in the 3.2 to push hard in corners. While the 930 is more exhilarating once on boost, corner-carving proves more stressful and difficult because you have to pay such close attention to where you are on the boost curve. So for my partricular driving style that favors technical corners and momentum cars, I'll happily stick to my 3.2 (plus I can't come close to affording a 930 cheeky)

May be an image of car and road

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/23/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to TheRev :

But 930. Or in the case of the one we saw yesterday 930 Slantnose.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/23/22 1:05 p.m.

Yes, good stuff.  Next time, stick a GoPro (or something) to the window and get us some sound / driving comparisons.  More pics also.

The comment about it being more fun to drive the less powerful car has another "interesting" caveat.  If you are on boost in the 930 and happen to be going around a corner, lifting could result in a serious issue!

Did they put the 4 speed in those because they were stronger?  Isn't 4th gear in both of those 1:1 anyway?  Or where the diff ratios different?  I imagine if nothing else, the 5 speed is nicer to cruise.

octavious
octavious Dork
1/23/22 2:04 p.m.

930 was referred to as "widow maker", I'm pretty sure that was for all the reasons you described and felt while driving one. 

I'm not a turbo expert, but does an 80 have a 3.0 based engine or the later 3.3? 

TheRev
TheRev Reader
1/23/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

Actually, I just looked back at my notes - it's an '86 930. So 3.3L.

grover
grover Dork
1/23/22 11:32 p.m.

Very cool comparison. I completely understand the more enjoyable 5 speed. Horses for courses of course- that 930 would be fun on the highway!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/24/22 11:39 a.m.
octavious said:

930 was referred to as "widow maker", I'm pretty sure that was for all the reasons you described and felt while driving one. 

Yeah, but only because all those other guys weren't as good of drivers as I am!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/25/22 1:44 p.m.

Widow Maker,  Cardiologist Killer, lots of euphemisms.

5 speed was not strong enough until they invented the G50 for all that turbo power

TheRev
TheRev Reader
1/25/22 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

I wondered if that was the case. The 4-speed feels too-long b/w gears which gave me trouble managing on/off boost. Needs closer ratios. But still exhilarating to drive. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48zDzuhQNLNvCSUoREEpci9WiwHcSetqsosd0jamxBWqWr25xFDgAZhZFhTmdsHR