1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/27/12 3:54 p.m.

Alright GRM, being an engineer by trade I am surrounded by enough people that can build a PC in their sleep, with enough power to hack NORAD, in 2 nano seconds, with a paper clip and elmers glue, but I have very limited resources when it comes to Mac.

As such I want to purchase a used/refurb Mac laptop for my wife, (cheapest way to dip the tow in the pool of Apple-hippy-ness). I have seen the new W8 and loathe it's existence. So I have decided on the switch for the family (I will limp my XP system on till I have to go to 7)

So what is the model I should purchase of Mac laptops with a 13/15 screen. She writes and messes with photos, internet and the like. Not a power user. Here are my current beliefs.

1. Intel processor
  2. it has an apple on the back.

So someone please give me guidance on the Mac or at least send me to a decent link that doesn't seem to be written by a General Studies major.

Also I read that Apple has the cash reserves to buy BMW, in it's entirety, and still have $40 Billion left.

peter
peter HalfDork
12/27/12 4:39 p.m.

The new Retina screens are highly impressive.

The Air line is wonderfully portable. I have a 13" refurb and love it.

SSD disks are the shiznit. Seriously.

Other than that, any current CPU will do what your wife wants.

What can you afford? Plan on at least 4GB of RAM, and as much hard disk as you can afford. Go with non-Apple RAM if the model you like has upgradeable RAM (the Airs do not).

How big of a laptop works for her? I didn't mind the switch from an old 15" Pro to a 13" Air, but when my boss tried the same thing, he was unhappy.

Portable? 13" Air

Portable + killer screen? 13" Pro w/Retina screen (also falls under the category of 'Affordable + killer screen')

Big + killer screen? 15" Pro w/Retina

Those would be my choices.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/27/12 4:44 p.m.

Looking for cheap. New is not an option, think in the $500 range.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/27/12 4:51 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Looking for cheap.

Stop looking at Apple ;)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
12/27/12 4:58 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Looking for cheap. New is not an option, think in the $500 range.

Look for an early MacBook unibody, that might be around or slightly above your budget. Apple hardware holds its value very well.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/27/12 5:00 p.m.

With apple you pay about 50% more for a computer with an over engineered aluminum chassis and a store in every major city where you can yell at a real person when it breaks. That's the difference, you decide if its worth the premium.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
12/27/12 5:00 p.m.

Look at refurbs and keep an eye on Woot.com, they sell them from time to time.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/27/12 5:02 p.m.

Does she do Netflix? A 1st gen Macbook non-pro will do non-hd Netflix, but will struggle with HD Netflix. It seems fine with HD youtube, though.

I resurrected one with a new HDD, and upgraded it to 2GB of RAM. It'll do everything I want except the aforementioned Netflix HD. However, it's free-ness was due to the battery being on its last legs, its optical drive is shot and the HDD had crashed. Total invested: $60. Not bad for effectively a netbook Mac.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
12/27/12 5:38 p.m.

If you buy an older apple just make sure the processor is 64 bit. 64 bit procs are needed for newer OS and apps.

How to check link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3696

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/27/12 5:47 p.m.

Not to start an Apple vs. PC argument, but I have been Mac-only since 1988 and love it. I have also had good customer service at the Apple Stores: Orlando, New York, L.A., etc.

But yeah, they do command a premium. I bought my iPad via their factory refurbish department and felt like I got a good deal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
12/27/12 5:54 p.m.

About 50% of our Apple hardware at home was bought either used or refurb. In fact I'm planning to upgrade my wife's computer RSN and new machine is likely to come from the refurb store also.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/27/12 5:55 p.m.

My dad just bought a refurb Macbook from these guys: http://www.smalldog.com/

Never used them before, but they seem to have slightly older stuff than Apple still does, and decent prices. I buy all my computer directly from Apple (all refurbs), but I typically need the latest and greatest. I'm comfortable buying one generation old stuff as soon as the new stuff comes out and the prices on existing stock drops, but much older than that isn't worth the potential software hassles.

$500 won't get you much, even used. But if you double that you're in the ballpark of something a little newer, with a factory warranty. Apple warranties are among the best in the biz, which is part of the reason I'm happy to pay the Apple premium.

jg

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/27/12 5:56 p.m.

I want to say that I also got free shipping via the Apple refurb store, too. I bought my iPad1 like the day they announced the iPad2.

gherndon
gherndon New Reader
12/27/12 6:06 p.m.

i have a core2duo 15" macbook pro that i'm selling. it's capable of running the latest os, and is a great machine.

apple refurbs and smalldog are great resources. i've bought from both in the past. you can't go wrong.

let me know if you're interested, and we can take the discussion out of the forums.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/27/12 7:08 p.m.

I have exactly what gherndon, above, is selling. It was listed on Kijiji for $800, I offered $600 cash, immediately, and they took it. It's a workhorse, it travels all over the world with me. I run photoshop, Microsoft Word, Quark, Fetch and my browser with no issues.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/27/12 7:17 p.m.

I am typing this on a 13 inch air. I love it. For what you described your wife's usage it will be way more than enough.

One caveat, I have had the 15 inch macbook pro and that battery lasted all damn day. The air's battery lasts much less than that, just so you know.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
12/27/12 8:13 p.m.

The site you want for advice is www.Lowendmac.com. They have deal trackers that will help you get into the right MacBook. Definitely make a sure to buy an Intel Mac, the powerpc ones were EOL long ago. For general purpose computing, a white Macbook with Core 2Duo should be enough - look for the oldest one you can find that will support the newest Mac OS.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
12/27/12 9:30 p.m.

I do not know Apple, but I know they sell used ones here on this Best Buy owned website. http://www.cowboom.com/
I have bought used phones here with great success. My android from here was a grade 5 quality but grade 6 would be better.
Click on the blue button to "choose best available" and then be sure to read the specific units description very well. Be sure to understand what comes with and what does not.

Their method is that all items have a free 30 day return so you can not just read the description but also examine with ability to return if unhappy for any reason.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/28/12 8:27 a.m.

Lowendmac.com has what I am looking for. Perfect. They should rename the site, GrassrootsMac, (well maybe the x86 guys would get that one with TonyMac being our guru)

Thanks for the help.

gherndon : PM me the specs and your ask, maybe we can talk.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
12/28/12 8:33 a.m.

Does she ever stream video? I have the first Macbook Air, 1.6 gHz with the non-SSD Hard drive. It does not like the online videos. You can't watch a full episode of anything without it starting to overheat and lag big time.

My wife's white Macbook 2.13 ghz does just fine with streaming video, and handles the newer OS. That's probably about the sweet spot price-wise. The screen and keyboard aren't as nice as the Air however.

If you find a Macbook Air with a broken hinge, buy it. Apple is replacing them as defective by design, for free. Mine was fixed 2 weeks ago. I bought it refurb 4+ years ago.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/28/12 5:15 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic: Good info there.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/28/12 5:29 p.m.

Hey guys... if your Mac is overheating, install a free program called "smcfancontrol". You can monitor the fan speed so that the computer never gets over 40 degrees (mine's currently at 36). My iMac used to get nasty artifacts in really hot weather until I installed this.

http://download.cnet.com/smcFanControl/3000-18487_4-102230.html

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/31/12 11:24 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Hey guys... if your Mac is overheating, install a free program called "smcfancontrol". You can monitor the fan speed so that the computer never gets over 40 degrees (mine's currently at 36). My iMac used to get nasty artifacts in really hot weather until I installed this. http://download.cnet.com/smcFanControl/3000-18487_4-102230.html

I assume you mean those crazy metric degrees, right?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
12/31/12 11:26 a.m.

I think she means the sensible metric degrees .

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/31/12 12:43 p.m.

Eggzactly!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
52hMC9YN21YYnUTrpSICVYfdwPe4jBLYVbF9oIpcN9sI0LPsGoVFGLKcUNv33MJ9