1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/16/22 3:37 p.m.

I’ve been using an Apple cordless keyboard with my MacBook when I sit at my desk, since it’s easier to type on a full size keyboard than the smaller one on the laptop itself.  The batteries in the keyboard died yesterday, and after I put in new batteries it wouldn’t link up with the laptop any more.  I messed around with it for hours and finally gave up.  Today I stopped at the local Micro Center computer store and got an Inland brand corded keyboard that plugs into a USB port.  It works fine, and only cost $3.99 - I’m not sure how they can sell it so cheaply, but I can put up with having a cord for that price.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/16/22 8:00 p.m.

I've been using a full-size Apple keyboard for years. I bet this one's 15+ years old. It has a comfortable feel. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/16/22 8:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Mine may even be older than that and I really liked its feel, but for whatever reason it just decided to quit (it may be coincidental but I also just got updated to the newest operating system, so it's possible that had something to do with the old wireless keyboard losing its Bluetooth connection.)

grover
grover Dork
4/17/22 9:01 p.m.

There is a way to reset it. I have the non number pad but I miss my old one.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/17/22 9:41 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Today I stopped at the local Micro Center computer store and got an Inland brand corded keyboard that plugs into a USB port.  It works fine, and only cost $3.99 - I’m not sure how they can sell it so cheaply, but I can put up with having a cord for that price.

The other thing I forgot to mention in my first post - I was standing in line at the checkout, and they have all the usual stuff there for impulse buyers - candy bars, various little electronic trinkets, etc.  I noticed they also had blister packs of thumb tacks, for 1 cent each.  Not too many people use thumb tacks these days, but when was the last time you saw anything for sale for a penny.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
4/18/22 8:06 a.m.

Seems like the cordless stuff is in demand.  I have a 15  YO mac that I have been trying to sell.  Has corded and cordless.  No one wants the whole system but there were several responses to buy the keyboard and mouse.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/18/22 8:17 a.m.

I prefer wired keyboards but mine is not anywhere near $3.99:

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/18/22 8:34 a.m.

I use the Logitec Wireless Wave at home and in the office. They work well. 

Amazon.com: Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo -  Includes Keyboard and Mouse, Long Battery Life, Ergonomic Wave Design,  Black : Electronics

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/18/22 9:31 a.m.

I really like the old ergonomic keyboards from Microsoft from the late 90s early 2000s that have mechanical switches.   The darn things are now close to $200 for one on eBay in good condition. 

I just went looking on eBay to get this screen clip and the prices have come way down from the last time I looked at these. I may scoop up the one in the photo. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/18/22 11:35 a.m.

I might still have an old Apple keyboard around here with the ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) connector from one of their Motorola 68k machines.  Probably looks a bit like this:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fexternal-preview.redd.it%2Fk8IPoSPk0TfC20hwXEUABdN6tfUgTVV-cYmAyEyDNQM.jpg%3Fauto%3Dwebp%26s%3D01e6682042261dbcdb13553da0b78596777e3d91&f=1&nofb=1

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/18/22 12:00 p.m.

I want a split keyboard, a completely separate keyboard for my right and left hand. Unfortunately, all of those seem to be too expensive for me.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
4/18/22 1:20 p.m.

I spend 8-10 hours a day interfacing with keyboards so I get a bit spendy and buy models with nice mechanical switches. Yeah it's a hundred bucks or more for a keyboard but I am hammering away at it for hours, might as well make it satisfying to use.

There is a growing nerd hobby of building and customizing keyboards that is kind of neat. Pick your switches, layout, keycaps, etc and end up with something uniquely yours. I'm not at that point yet but I'm thinking it might be fun to do one.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/18/22 1:47 p.m.

When the pandemic started and I started working from home, I wanted to find a decent, wireless, full sized mechanical keyboard that felt substantial. So I ended up with this:

Logitech G613. The thing is a TANK. Heavy, chunky, and great tactile feel. It's Bluetooth, so it pretty much works with everything. No RGB, nothing fancy, all business. Battery life is great; I've had it for nearly 2 years running on the batteries that came in the box. Not exactly cheap, but considering what some of the old school classics go for, I don't mind. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/18/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

The Kinesis Freestyle isn't that expensive as these things go. In fact if you're using a Mac I've been toying with selling mine.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/18/22 4:12 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to mtn :

The Kinesis Freestyle isn't that expensive as these things go. In fact if you're using a Mac I've been toying with selling mine.

Above my budget for this - I don't have any physical issues, otherwise I'd have sprung for one... And I am not a Mac guy, so unless it could be adapted to work for PC I'm out.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/18/22 5:07 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I've had it working OK with my PC laptop, but I don't think they are fully switchable like some of the other Kinesis keyboards. I should probably check.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/18/22 5:09 p.m.
dculberson said:

I prefer wired keyboards but mine is not anywhere near $3.99:

You just need to move the decimal point a couple of places to the right (I own several of these, without them my IT career would've come to an abrupt end a couple of decades ago) 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/18/22 7:41 p.m.

I like the feel of a mechanical keyboard but I hate the sound. Toooo clacky. 

...but I really like the tactile feel of the bigger keys. Especially on the number pad where I work a lot. 

My office had a fleet of Logitech K330s (unifying receiver), but suddenly all of them have gone berserk. Delays, sometimes not connecting. Very strange. 

I'm still on the hunt for a mechanical wired keyboard with all the trimmings necessary to make it silent. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
4/18/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

Not all mechanical keyboards are created equal. They can be very loud or near silent, it all depends on the key switches that the keyboard uses.

Switches generally fall into three categories: "clicky", "tactile", and "linear". Probably obvious that clicky are the super loud ones. Tactiles are much quieter but still have that "latch" feel to them, linears are smooth and silent.

Pretty much any mechanical keyboard with good linear switches like Cherry MX reds is near-silent unless you are really slamming on it and bottoming out the keys.

My work daily driver is a Logitech K845 with Cherry MX reds and I love it. 
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-k845-full-size-wired-mechanical-cherry-mx-red-linear-switch-keyboard-with-five-backlight-modes/6425032.p?skuId=6425032

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/18/22 7:53 p.m.

I am a bit picky on my keyboards.  I like them wired and I like nice flat keys that are not separated from each other.  This means I primarily buy Logitech K740 keyboards.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/18/22 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I just bought the Logitech g613 for work. I use solidworks frequently, and use the escape key more frequently. Notice on pointofdepature the g1 key is lower than the escape key? Would really love to will Smith the engineer that changed it on the g613. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/19/22 10:14 a.m.

Two years ago I decided to get a nice keyboard for work and ended up with one of these:

One of the reasons was because its called the "Elwood", due to the walnut veneer which is also my middle name.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/19/22 11:10 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

You just need to move the decimal point a couple of places to the right (I own several of these, without them my IT career would've come to an abrupt end a couple of decades ago) 

Same, I was having some major wrist pains and the combination of a Kinesis Ergo and a nice adjustable wrist rest for my mouse arm eliminated them 100%. A $350 keyboard versus carpal tunnel sugery and potential permanent disability? Yeah, the $350 keyboard was a smokin' deal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/19/22 12:16 p.m.
dculberson said:
BoxheadTim said:

Same, I was having some major wrist pains and the combination of a Kinesis Ergo and a nice adjustable wrist rest for my mouse arm eliminated them 100%. A $350 keyboard versus carpal tunnel sugery and potential permanent disability? Yeah, the $350 keyboard was a smokin' deal.

Agreed - in my case it's nerve damage that affects a couple of fingers, but the outcome was the same.

The other upgrade I've done recently that made another noticeable difference is to switch the rodents to LogiTech trackballs.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/19/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Agreed on the trackball, too. I recently splurged for the "fancy" one (Logi MX Ergo Advanced) and haven't been impressed. I even swapped the ball from my old one - the MX Ergo ball was so rough it made spinning the ball notchy. It's OK but not worth the extra money.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EiLdHK7l7EQlVr2xImVh1DmfvWtTt8YOLP1ytL5NA35ZIHYUrjJDfoJQpZLkLOmS